AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I successfully had the cops called on me. The cops were nice though, at first I thought maybe something happened out front or something, I was just sitting in the room listening to music and then I heard knocking on the window. They just told me what was going on and said they couldn't really hear anything until they got to the back of the house. I honestly felt a bit embarrassed, I hoped one of the neighbors would have just came over and told me something as I would have no problem turning it down... Well I guess I should have kept my home theater stuff in the other area of the basement by the front of the house as that would add a lot of extra material to block the sound and the front neighbors wouldn't hear it as they are a good 100 feet away across the street. I bought this house back at the end of November, remodeled this one small room in the basement that used to be a bedroom to have a nice little closed off home theater room and I guess this is a bad spot for my equipment. frown.gif I didn't think it would be loud enough to bother the neighbors, their house roughly 25-30 feet away. Pics of the room

Room is 12'8 by 12'7 and 7 foot high(drop ceiling)

I have two 15 inch titanic mkIII facing the wall on the left powered by one epx4000 and one uxl-18 on the right powered by a bridged epx4000. The ported 15inch dayton ultimax wasn't on at the time as I only really have it on for movies.

Here's pics from outside, my house is on the right and the other pic is right where that room is at.

A few minutes ago I did a little test with my radioshack decibel meter. I set the my Pioneer Elite SC-61 receiver to -8db and I had my girlfriend play a .flac file that plays from 5hz-100hz and then back down to 5hz. I found the problem is mostly 30-50hz, everything else isn't too audible from outside. At 8 feet away the decibel meter read 103db at 40hz and I still technically can put it quite a bit louder so I guess it really can bother the neighbors even at how far they are from my house. And of course I was playing some dance music when the cops were called on me which has tons of bass in the 30-50hz range that hits repetitively.

Now what to do to block that sound? I'm pretty set on fixing this from the outside as I would REALLY not have to take everything out of my room and destroy the walls and repaint and etc. I could care less how ugly its going to look from the back of the house that nobody really sees. I'm assuming I'll have to cover the window up as sound is going to escape a lot from there. When listening from outside the sound really only emanates from right where the room is, you slowly go to the right where the cable connection is and you barely hear anything, go to the left where the dryer vent is and again it goes quite, so that whole section of wall would need to be covered up.

·
Registered
27,142 Posts
Brick that window to start (or otherwise wall if off and re-board over it. Just eliminate it. If its 103 db 8 ft outside of the room, then it is likely at least 115 db in the room. That's pretty loud. Moreover, the sound will get worse for the neighbors when the sub is cranking. Even with all of that, likely the bass will bleed out.

.... Or move.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
First, congratulations. The window is a low pass filter. You could build a heavy damped window plug, that will help some of the 30-50Hz. That way you can remove it when your not listening.

The best way is to do the room. Get rid of that drop ceiling, decouple the walls and ceiling with clips & drywall channel. Use two layers of 5/8 drywall with damping in between. I'm sure you already know this.

103db outside, wow.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts