AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After hours or reading, and some good advice from people, I’ve started building my screen. I’d like to particularly thank MississippiMan for his help. There’s no way I would have chosen to do this without him!

So as a newbie for other newbies, here’s a thread that’ll show my experience with this. I’ll try to include photos as I progress. Photos are crap because taken with my BlackBerry. Sorry ‘bout that. Lazy to go find the camera.

It’ll probably take a couple of weeks to complete as I have a full time job and family! So this isn’t going to be a fast thread. But it may help a couple of you going through the same process. So here we go:

To give you some context: I have a JVC HD100 (RS2). I am projecting at 12’, sitting at 9-10’. I opted for the largest screen possible
, which is 122” diagonally. I am projecting in a room with no external light but unfortunately light colored walls and ceiling.

Based on MMan’s guidance, I went for a sheet of Sintra spray painted with this mix:

RS-MaxxMudd (for moderate ambient light)

16 oz. Delta Pearl Metallic #02601

12 oz. Delta Silver Metallic #02603

4 oz. Folk Art Champagne Metallic Gold #675

7 oz. UPW flat #1050

16 oz. Minwax Polycrylic - Satin finish

12 oz. distilled/tap water

I bought the “no name” HVLP spraygun: http://www.gleempaint.com/noname.html

I ordered a 5’ by 10’ sheet a Sintra with these guys: http://www.piedmontplastics.com/ and got them to cut it to precise dimensions. (Didn’t have 5x10 in stock… Had to pay for extra freight cost… Damn.)

In many threads, people ask if Sintra can be bent to fit in a car. It can! Here’s how:

I didn’t have far to drive… and no highway… but worked like a charm.

I gathered the necessary paint ingredient, as well as an empty paint can, a “Squirrel” mixer drill attachment, so syringes and paint strainers.

For fun, I’ll include a couple of photos of the paint as I was pouring the stuff in. Some of this stuff definitely looks funny. But the Squirrel does a brilliant job at mixing everything together in a few minutes. Not easy though, I don’t know how I wouldn’t have had a good mix without it. It’s a must have.

After that, I only had to strain the paint and ready to go…

I decided to paint the Sintra in my garage. Carrying it between the garage and the HC room without bending the Sintra too much was painless. So I figured that I’d paint in the garage to avoid going wild with protections for paint dust. I did attach some cardboard around the Sintra in order to be able to overspill on the sides and see what I’m doing. I’m glad I did that! Don’t think that you can get away with basic plastic protection… You need the cardboard.

So I started with the first coat after watching MMan’s videos once more and practicing for a couple of minutes. (Didn’t have patience for much more than that!)

I was first surprised by the height of the paint sprayed. At the right distance for a duster, I couldn’t get more than 4 inches and on the videos it looked much more than that. Also, it didn’t seem to put out as much paint as I could observe from the Wagner on the video. But I had started my first coat, so I thought… let’s finish it and we’ll see afterwards.

Here’s how it looked like after the 1st coat:

Horizontal bands… Not uniformly gray. Didn’t seem like a lot of paint. I was worried. Before shouting for help, I watched the videos again and noticed how MMan keeps the air hose on his left hand to allow for a good air flow and prevent the air hose from bending…

My newbie mistake: I didn’t pay much attention to the air hose as long as it was out of my way. I should have! I kept it in my left hand for the second coat and guess what: the spraygun was putting out a lot more paint, with broader patterns. I tried to go quicker to avoid overloading. Here’s how the second coat looked like:

I was feeling pretty good at this point. The surface was uniformly wet. But I didn’t have any runs! (Was very happy about that…) Another photo below. There wasn’t much light in the garage at this point. (It was about midnight.) The lack of light was actually a challenge through these 2 coats… I imagine it must be much easier to spray and see exactly what you’re doing in a well lit environment.

By the way, I had to wait almost 2 hours for the first coat to dry… Compared to 30 to 45 minutes as usually described in other threads. And the first coat was really not that heavy. The garage was pretty cold last night. That’s another newbie mistake that I hadn’t anticipated. In the cold like that, the paint takes forever to dry. But anyhow, 2 coats in one night. I thought I could finish with one or two more night at the most. Fine with that.

The next morning (this morning as I’m writing this), I went to the garage to take a look at my amazing work. I felt proud like a truck. Screen looks good. Not really more horizontal bands/patterns. With 2 coats, I had used 1 quarter to 1 third of all the paint. I could tell that by still seeing a little bit of the white of the Sintra in some areas that I would need a 3rd coat. At the first look, no runs. Again, very happy about that. But then I look closer and I find it… over almost a couple of inches. A freakin’ run. Aaaarrrrgh. Here it is:

(Again, sorry for the crap pictures.) It’s kind of a dry “beginning of a run” really. My heart breaks. I look closer at the rest of the screen. And in the lower third, I find two horrible “beginning” of runs over a few inches each. Here they are:

I’m really annoyed then. I didn’t want to have to deal with runs. I thought I went quickly through to put a light second coat. (Always better light than heavy.) But I guess I must have not gone fast enough, or too close there, or a combination of both? Or is it the fact that it takes the paint so long to dry with the cold???? These runs were definitely not there the previous night after I sprayed. Sucks.

At this point, no idea how to deal with this. Sanding? How? With what materials? Am I screwed?

To be continued……

(I will post later on the solution once I have it. I’ll probably call MMan. Your comments & advice are welcome!)

Edit: as noted below, light sanding and feathering did the job. The end result is smooth and fantastic looking. I does take a bit of practice to get the right spraying technique. Watch and re-watch the MississippiMan videos before doing it. Lesson for all newbies out there: do not spray in cold ambiant temperature! Set yourself up in a room that is as warm as possible...

The MMan videos are here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1222193
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...078&highlight=

And of course the official RS-MaxxMudd Mix thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1139061

So I ended up painting in the attic rather than the garage... Very warm in there. Here are a couple of pics of the final paint job. Can't really tell much on these due to poor light and camera, but here it is anyway:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Building of the frame:

I’ve seen many people screw and/or glue the Sintra to the wall and then attach a frame made out of MDF to the Sintra using finish nails.

I can’t quite do that, because my screen will not be against the wall. It’ll be about a foot from the wall because the ceiling starts to slant about 50” from the floor… (I’ll also post text and pictures about the bracket system that I’m planning on putting together…)

So I have to build a frame which will hold the screen with brackets, and which is a little sturdier than plain MDF nailed to Sintra. Here’s what I did:

I bought some 3” ¼ moulding. I chose pine instead of MDF because it’s a little more rigid. My screen is big and the Sintra doesn’t really stay flat easily… So I thought a rigid frame would help.

The plan is to use moulding in front and back to sandwich the Sintra in. Screwing the moulding together and through the Sintra would keep the whole thing together well.

I also wanted to keep as large a screen as possible. I got my 5’ by 10’ sheet of Sintra cut to 110” ¼ wide. I of course kept the full height of 60”. The viewable (not sandwiched) Sintra surface would be 50” ½ high and 105” ¾ wide for a 16/9 ratio. That would allow for ¼ inch of Sintra sandwiched on top and bottom (the minimum to keep the Sintra between the moulding yet retaining as much height as possible) and 2” ¼ sandwiched on right and left (with screws through moulding and Sintra). This may be tough to understand in writing. Here are the pictures:

Pieces of moulding sawed with 45° miter angles.

You can get something like this at home depot for a reasonable price, or measure well and do it there:

I cut the velvet fabric in long striped. I got the fabric for cheap there: (Thanks again to MMan for the link!)
http://www.syfabrics.com/View.aspx/P...Velvet/681/264

You’ll notice on the picture that I didn’t bother too much in cutting it straight because I had so much extra in width… So the cutting went pretty quickly.

I realize now that I actually didn’t take pictures of the wrapping of the fabric around the moulding. There’s a really good thread to explain how to do it here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5218&highlight

In my case, it was just painful… It took forever. I thought it’d be quicker. And the corners are a pain. But I got it done. One trick I found useful: I did this on the floor which is carpeted. After stapling at one end of the moulding, I would pull the fabric tight by just sliding the moulding against the carpet (the velvet side kind of attached to the carpet…) and then stapled quickly on one side. Then I would tighten the fabric on the other side and stapled. But still… it’s a little tedious.

Once my front mouldings were wrapped up, I cut my back mouldings, without straight angles this time. The overlap of the miter angles in the front and the straight angles in the back is what would keep the corners attached together… I also bought some ¼” thick strip of wood of some sort to avoid a gap between the front and back mouldings where there’s no Sintra. I stapled these strips of wood to the back moulding as follows:

And then assembled the back of the frame:

I put the painted Sintra on the back frame to check my measurements and stapled the corners of the back frame together:

Then, I placed the front velvet-wrapped mouldings on the floor, laid the painted Sintra face down on top of the front frame, and laid the back frame on top. This was extremely tricky to get it right… I screwed the frame together (screws through the Sintra) on the left and right sides of the screen. Then I screwed the frame together on the top and bottom. (Obviously no screws through the Sintra there since the frame sandwiches the Sintra only over ¼ inch.) And here’s the result:

I looked and felt very sturdy… I stood the screen up. (It actually is pretty sturdy.) And I there I saw my creation… so beautiful I could cry. Seriously, it looks freakin’ awesome. The end result is beyond any hope. The wife is impressed too. Again, I couldn’t have done it without this great forum and especially MMan’s wealth of advice. Here’s a photo (again, sorry, taken from my BlackBerry) of the final result.

This photo doesn’t do it justice at all. Some of you may think that this frame is a little over-complicated. It's true that you can do much faster and simpler. That's the beauty of DIY... Do what you know will make you happy at the end. For me, given that I'm just a newbie and that this is my first screen, I'm very happy!

Of course, I did project on it right away and the picture looks simply amazing…

Next, I will edit this post and include pictures and text to describe how I will attach the screen to the wall. In the next post, I will put a bunch of screenshots, this time with my decent digital SLR camera! (Anyone with good advice on how to take screenshots, please post!)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Thanks for the photos and updates.....

I just did my shopping - need to hit another Michaels since they were out of one flavor....

Waiting for the progress report!!!!

I suspecting a light sanding and feathering helped out???

Sounds like you need to move pretty fast with this mix..

I may be starting this weekend....

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Light sanding with a fine sanding sponge. Feathering. 2 more coats and I can barely see anything... (Thanks to the advice from the master.) I just finished the second coat an hour ago. I did move to the attic next to the Home Cinema room where it's a lot warmer. The cold temperature is what ruined it... With the paint not drying, eventually gravity plays against you.

But the end result is fantastic with this spray gun. (Definitely millions times better than rolling.) It just takes a little bit of practice to get the right technique...

I'll post more pictures and commentary later on. I'm going to try to build the frame on Sunday.

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,837 Posts
I'm feeling much better now.

All those reading this, learn from this.

Cold is the enemy. If paint applied with any thickness cannot tack to a surface due to it not drying, it's gonna slide.

Only the lightest Dusters can handle 50 degree temps, and even then they will take "hours" to dry instead of 30 minutes.

It's amazing how well a inexpensive Electric Heater and a small "Clean" Fan can accelerate the process even in a cold Garage.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I will be doing this exact screen size with that exact paint in the next week or two, just trying to get my hands on some of the darn Sintra. Could you maybe post up a list of "things to have on hand" such as the mixer, syringes, what type of strainer? What are you doing about a border? Thanks a ton, and thank you again to MM for all this great advice.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Posts above updated with pics of the final painted result and the building of the frame...

dvrmstrng: I will respond a bit later with a list of what I bought to put my screen together.

MMan: Send me your address by PM. I've got to send you a good bottle of wine to thank you!

Ben

·
Registered
2,330 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benix /forum/post/19581764

Building of the frame:

And here's the result:

... And I there I saw my creation so beautiful I could cry. Seriously, it looks freakin' awesome. The end result is beyond any hope. The wife is impressed too. Again, I couldn't have done it without this great forum and especially MMan's wealth of advice. Here's a photo (again, sorry, taken from my BlackBerry) of the final result.

Great Job Ben!!! I know the feeling, plus the bragging rights on being your own.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Haven't had time to get this done. I've been looking at movies with the screen on the floor! I changed my plans a bit though. Now I'll use simple 20" brackets. (I need to have the screen set away from the wall...) But will post pictures of the process. Need to have this done by the weekend!

·
Registered
494 Posts
Benix,

It looks like your shades of Silver Metallic differ just like mine. I wonder if Delta changed up the formula a bit... hmm

Yours;

Mine:

As I was pouring the SM, some of it was dark dark grey, the other, light grey. Hmmmmm.

·
Banned
3,811 Posts
I wonder if I could use this type of paint process on my screen that I already built? It's screen material though...not a hard board. would this work? is this paint mixture supposed to copy Stewart Firehawk silver?

·
Premium Member
14,890 Posts
I have read in several places the ability to spray onto screen material. MMan states he has even done some to roll-up screens as well so you shouldnt have a problem there. Others have applied it to black-out cloth as well so it is versatile to several screen materials. You will probably need primer beforehand.

Not sure if it is supposed to mimic anything but the recipes you will find in this area are VERY well thought out and analyzed. cant go wrong with these guys helping you out

·
Registered
494 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure-Evil /forum/post/19646759

I wonder if I could use this type of paint process on my screen that I already built? It's screen material though...not a hard board. would this work? is this paint mixture supposed to copy Stewart Firehawk silver?

I painted onto canvas that was barely transparent. After a couple coats of Kilz... no more transparency

You can see how my unpainted canvas is sorta see-thru

I'd say you're okay unless it's REALLY flimsy and see thru.

And I'm in the process of doing RS-Maxxmudd if you didn't know.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike 01hawk /forum/post/19646627

Benix,

It looks like your shades of Silver Metallic differ just like mine. I wonder if Delta changed up the formula a bit... hmm

As I was pouring the SM, some of it was dark dark grey, the other, light grey. Hmmmmm.

Mike,

Yep, I also had the same experience. I had two containers of that Silver Metallic and they looked different. I also wondered if they changed their formula. But at the end, I though that it was probably that one was stored longer and the other and that the metallic liquid separated a little bit. After shaking it a lot, it was less different. And when I poured the paint out, I could clearly see the separation of the metallic liquid... It was freaky looking actually! You can kinda see it in one of my pictures above.

It just took a little extra mixing to get the metallic liquid thoroughly mixed with the rest of the ingredients. I could tell that this was the hardest to mix. That's where the squirrel mixer attachment was very helpful...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio /forum/post/19646871

I have read in several places the ability to spray onto screen material. MMan states he has even done some to roll-up screens as well so you shouldnt have a problem there. Others have applied it to black-out cloth as well so it is versatile to several screen materials. You will probably need primer beforehand.

I also found several threads with examples of this paint mix sprayed on BOC or canvas material. Primer was always required. I read somewhere that for BOC, if you don't prime, you end up having a bunch of little threads poking out. But they all ended up with a good result at the end. Just a little bit of extra work.

When I was trying to figure out what substrate to pick, I had actually asked about the difference between BOC and Sintra on this thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=#post19446667

1 - 20 of 26 Posts