Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
/rant on

Chalk another one up for RTV customer support.

Note: I have spent over $2,000 with RTV over the years and have sold (by recommendation) another $5,000+ of RTV's. By my standards that makes me "a good customer" (not the best, but good).

Called 6 times to cancel an order (which they prevent you from doing on the web site you ordered from - good move!).

Called 1-877-737-5298 ...

1st time - "computers are down, please call back tomorrow"

2nd time - "computers are down, please call back tomorrow"

3rd time - "your order is now shown as shipped. Please call again to request an RMA number when the item arrives"

4th time - 15 minutes on hold, then "I'm sorry .. you have waited too long to dial" and cut off

5th time - 15 minutes on hold, then "I'm sorry .. you have waited too long to dial" and cut off

6th time - 15 minutes on hold, then "I'm sorry .. you have waited too long to dial" and cut off

I swear this is the last thing I buy from RTV - ever. I currently have two 5xxx's that I pray I never need to return or repair.

I'm sorry but I'm done.

Or should I say:-

"I'm sorry, you have waited too long to satisfy this customer"

/rant off

·
Registered
554 Posts
Well, most people on the board did not seem to feel the need to post a reply for someone they obviously felt was a traitor to the cause, I decided I would. Good Luck.

·
Premium Member
4,316 Posts
I have to add all he said was he wasn't going to purchase any new boxes. Didn't say he was jumping to Tivo! :) So, I think the 'people think he's a traitor; line was a bit much.

(I might feel the same if I had such bad responses... I've never had to call support, knock on RTV...!)

·
Registered
554 Posts
Awe, come on now Lee. I did not name names. Besides, this thread had been viewed by 330 people and not once did anyone post a replay in concern for this poor guys problems. I stand by my original assesment. Out of 330 people, no one felt the need to say a single thing, like good luck, good riddance, poor slop, "I feel your pain" NOTHING.

So, I did not want to be grouped in that non-feeling category ;)

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
My ole grandmother once told me.

1)Sometimes no matter how old a man is he just have to talk to his mom.

2) Sometimes a man just has to post a rant. It gets nothing done, But it makes him feel better when he's done ;)

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
Don't blame you - no excuse for poor customer service. I wish we could convert all the telemarketers to tech support for all the companies that have either farmed support out to India and/or have excessive hold times.

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by diverjones
All, come on now Lee. I did not name names. Besides, this thread had been viewed by 330 people and not once did anyone post a replay in concern for this poor guys problems. I stand by my original assesment. Out of 330 people, no one felt the need to say a single thing, like good luck, good riddance, poor slop, "I feel your pain" NOTHING.

The original post stopped me in my tracks. I am unhappy with the flaws of my replays and the enormous amount of time I've spent worring about the flaws. However, for now, someone couldn't pry the replay out from my hands.

There's alot of ambivolance so after I read the original post I didn't know what to say.

cow

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
If customer service were perfect then where would we go for entertainment? ;)

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I had mixed feelings too when I read it. I have walked away from companies who have treated me terribly on just one occasion, and I have stayed with companies that have given me trouble more than once.

Having worked on phone systems, I know that sometimes it takes a company days or weeks to discover that there's a problem with their phone system. If you're getting cut off like that, I would make sure to let the company know that you're having the problem, and try to resolve the issue through other communication like e-mail. Not saying that will always work, but...

There was another thread where someone mentioned having trouble with the Replay tech support line, and both the posts were from this Saturday. I brought up the issue to my contacts at Replay so they could at least check into it. I'd be curious to know if all disconnects happened right after each other, or if they were at different times or different days.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
You know,

Sometimes I get the distinct impression that there's a requirement that if you buy a ReplayTV, you will be required to have the patience of Job, lest you get tagged as a traitor or malcontent here.

Lots of people just get upset and go away. The good ones will let DNNA know how their current actions are losing them customers.

Like it or not, but rants like this one are necessary and a good thing if we want DNNA to succeed.

And I do feel bad for what the guy's gone through. There is no excuse.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
I represent probably 4 or 5 views of those now over 400 views. I honestly didn't know what to say. I certainly didn't view Mandingo as being a 'traitor'. I think most people would and do feel for the guy. As far as I can tell, ReplayTV's customer service has only been good when it was owned by ReplayTV--I had to call them when I was given a ReplayTV 2000 for some help in setup and the service was unbelievable.

I have hopes the DNNA will make it better but it takes time to turn a ship this big around, the not-so-good momentum created by SonicBlue was pretty substantial.

I would hope, that when DNNA gets its ducks in a row, they will be able to bring prodigal users back into the fold. That said, there are some companies that I will never do business with again no matter what because of how badly I was knowingly and purposefully screwed.

·
Premium Member
4,316 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by diverjones
Awe, come on now Lee. I did not name names. Besides, this thread had been viewed by 330 people and not once did anyone post a replay in concern for this poor guys problems. I stand by my original assesment. Out of 330 people, no one felt the need to say a single thing, like good luck, good riddance, poor slop, "I feel your pain" NOTHING.

I was confused/concerned by the 'no responses' and mainly wanted to say that Mandingo did not say anything along the lines of 'goodbye RTV, hello Tivo', which the subject could have implied. I was wondering if people were jumping to conclusions on his thinking.

I agree with the other posts that (1) we need patience with RTVs, more that we should (hope that improves (need less! :) with 5.1 and (2) rants can be useful.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Now, see that was not too hard was it? I just did not want the fellow to think this board was "indifferent" to his problems. Thanks for all the posts! You may have made a new friend :)

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hmmm, I wasn't expecting this to turn into a sympathy drive for sad old Mandingo but I did want to simply let DNNA know there are consequences of not paying attention to their customers. We have stuck with a rushed and unreliable product line in the hope it will get sorted out eventually - the least they could do in the meantime is be supportive of their loyal customers by investing in decent customer support.

By seeing "the regulars" here all the time (heathriel, toots, baysidebas, lizard_boy, leesweet etc) there is a chance that DNNA have the impression we will stick with this through thick and thin, that we have infinite patience. I wanted to let them know there are limits.

I appreciate as much as anyone that solving software problems can take months (you can see my "location" to the left to guess why I might know) - but setting up a customer support operation that prides itself on great service should not take that long - heck, there are turnkey operations you can hire and train in the space of a few weeks. And before anyone tells me I don't understand what goes in to setting up customer support - yes, I have hired and overseen such a turnkey operation.

Poor telephone customer support turns an already unhappy customer into an angry and resentful one (i.e. me!).

This quote from toots sums it up nicely:-

Quote:
Lots of people just get upset and go away. The good ones will let DNNA know how their current actions are losing them customers.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Aww, since you mentioned me first in your list of regulars, it seems only fair that I weigh in.

I read your original post, as many did, and didn't post a reply because I didn't feel one was needed. You put your experience out there and communicated your point well. There was nothing to debate.

I don't know where anyone got the idea you were a troll or a traitor. That makes no sense to me at all.

We've all had problems with phone support - I'm lucky in that my problems haven't been with anything Replay. Dell is *my* archnemesis. I routinely spend hours on the phone with them trying to buy spare parts, for which I know the part numbers. It takes forever to get them to take my money!

But I digress. It sucks that people have trouble with their units, but that is exactly what this place is here for: a forum to vent, and to get help from people you know aren't reading from a script.

I'm one of the very few veterans around here who has actually never had so much as a stutter on any of my Replays. Well, almost. I have had a few reboots, one of them resulting in an RMA, but all due to power outages that lasted longer than my UPS could hold. (Ah, the joys of a 300 year old house).

Maybe that's why I'm around here. I know what these machines are like when they're working perfectly, and I've gleaned the problems that occur for others from posts here. I do not have the patience of Job - or rather, I have never needed to employ it in regards to Replays.

So, yeah, people should post their experiences. It helps to vent, and it helps us to recognize new problems as they arise to better assist people in the future. And while people will generally not post their good experiences, in over 2000 posts I've probably got only a dozen or so that even address a "problem" *I've* actually had...

I don't remember where I was going with this. I think it had something to do with perspective. Yeah, that's it. I don't have any problems with mine, so I am inclined to evangelize. I see other people having problems, I start trying to help them to end up achieving my experience. Their perspective on the situation will then be changed - as long as the problem is resolved.

But, in cases like yours, there is nothing we can do to help. We can't make your phone queue experience any better. You're not actually having a problem with a unit, so we can't suggest a fix there. You've got a problem that is completely beyond the abilities of anyone here to do anything about - and that is really why you didn't initially receive any replies.

We felt your pain. We just couldn't help you in any way. We still can't. This thread is a now happy-love-fest that doesn't try to help you in the least.

Oh well.

·
Registered
120 Posts
If DNNA is counting on this forum to figure out how well they're doing, then they're not doing very well at all. I agree with you -- it'd be awefully easy to fall into the "wow, the more **** we feed them, the more they ask for!" mentality if one was to simply look at the people shrugging their shoulders and saying "yeah, customer service sucks and the software sucks and this is the third unit I've had and I hope this one works, but I LOVE REPLAY! REPLAY R00LZ!!11" Forgive the artistic license there ...

If you really want to know what the horrific customer service experience is costing DNNA, though, there's one simply way to start grasping the magnitude of the damage -- figure out how many people still have 3000s and ONLY 3000s.

I've got a 3030 that has since been upgraded to a 120hr unit. I've got the HD in a drive caddy so it's relatively easy for me to back up shows to my PC.

I would love -- LOVE -- to get a Replay that would look better (did I mention the external drive caddy? :) ) and be networked so I wouldn't have to turn it off to back up shows. But I won't. Why?

Because it's not exactly clear to me that the 5000s or 5040's or whatever they're up to now have the image quality to match the 3030's. Certainly it seems that consensus was that the 4500s didn't.

Because software glitches may be fixed tomorrow, or not at all.

Because if I buy a unit, I stand a fair chance of getting a non-functional one.

Because if I have any problems with the unit, I'll need to call India, talk to people who have no power to effect change and no English skills to communicate clearly with me.

Why bother? The 3030's serving me fine. It's not great, and I'd sure love to spend $500 on something that was cooler, but I know myself, and I know how busy I am, and I know how likely it is that if I bought a unit and it 'only' crashed every 2-3 weeks or so, I'd shrug and say "well, that's not all that horrible, and I'm not willing to undertake the soul-sucking experience that is talking to tech support to get it dealt with." And then I'd feel screwed.

DNNA needs to offer me one of two things (though ideally, both of them):

A) A rock-solid product that I'll be happy with and that, 99% of the time, Will. Just. Work; or

B) Tech support that is a pleasure to talk with. Your unit's not working? OK ... you should get a replacement in two days. Please ship us your old unit within a week of receiving the new unit.

It's not rocket science, and it's not, fundamentally, hard. It just requires a paradigm alignment change. I call AT&T Wireless Services Customer Support, and I get friendly agents on the phone that not only claim they want to help me, sure as hell act like it. I call Godaddy.com, who I pay $9 *A YEAR*, and I wait for about 30 seconds and I get someone who wants to help me and know what they're talking about.

So I'm sorry, remind me again why I should buy a new ReplayTV?

My parents finally made it into the 20th Century when they switched to Dish recently, and asked me about a PVR. I love my ReplayTV. I believe it's wonderful. But they can't get *that* one. What they *can* get from DNNA is ... frustration. My parents have enough problems with English, and are far enough away from me, that there's just no way I could ever see myself recommending a ReplayTV to them. In fact, while 3-4 years ago I was raving about ReplayTV and arguing -- persuasively -- that it kicked Tivo's ass, these days I'm mostly quiet. When people ask, I tell them I have a ReplayTV "you know, like a Tivo."

That's the price of shoddy quality control and bad customer service. It's not people like Mandingo saying "well, I'm not going to get another one after the problems I'm having with this one." It's people who aren't even bitching, who don't feel particularly invested in the Cult of ReplayTV (which is, at this point, perhaps one of the only strong selling points of the RTV). It's people who just don't give a damn about RTV or DNNA.

We'll come back IF (not when) DNNA surprises us and turns RTV around. I have no reason to believe it's going to happen, but boy, I'll be happy to be proven wrong. That won't be when

RTVs crash only once a week -- it will be when RTVs don't crash. And it won't be when you only have to talk to Customer Service twice to get what you won't -- it will be when you call Customer Service, are on hold for less time than it takes to read an average CNN story, and then talk to someone who can communicate with you and satisfies you on that first call. Then you can start trying to woo us.

I'm not holding my breath.

-roy

·
Registered
712 Posts
I didn't post because I'm tired of telling people to read my sig line and that I feel their pain. Owning a Replay is hard. It is a commitment. You really have to be up for the challenge. I wanted to quit many times. Even now when my unit is working I'm hearing my better half complain about how slow the unit responds compared to the old 3060, wondering why it repeats it repeats itself. Yeah, Owning a Replay is hard. Owning a Tivo is easy. I should know, I own both.

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
I just wonder how many potential customers were scared off by all the problems they saw in this forum. Even allowing for the fact that forums like this one tend to be dominated by "I'm having problem X" you could just tell that there were far too many bad 5xxx's out on the road.

Before I bought my first Replay I poked around this forum and the Tivo forum just to see what people were saying. At that point the "60 hour hack for the brave" had just started and you could feel the excitement in this place. I read reviews on both and decided Replay was the one I wanted. These days it would be probably be a closer call. On balance I still like the features Replay offers that Tivo doesn't enough that I'd probably still buy Replay, but SonicBlue really put some dents in the Replay name.

Having said that, when the 4000's first came out they were pretty damn impressive. Other than the PQ (not as good as the pre-4000 models) they were rock-solid through 4.1, the units were just too damn expensive and werent' available in retail stores. Then when 4.3 got rolled out to make the 4000's/4500's work together that was when the problems really started.

Then SonicBlue rushed the 5000's to market as they were running out of money. I can only imagine how much fun that must have been for the ReplayFolks. The QA on the 5000's just seemed to be extremely poor. I haven't had any (major) problems with my 2 5040's, but one of my friends who bought a 5040 had it die within 24 hours of plugging it in. Didn't exactly make a good impression on him.

Anyway, not quite sure what I'm trying to get at here. Replay has already lost the race to Tivo in name recognition, and they're both losing the race to Dish & Cable Company PVR's. DNNA is in much better financial shape than SB ever was, hopefully they'll be willing to spend the time & money necessary to get Replay back where it should be.

(and they can start with better conflict resolution)

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Speaking as one of the "regulars,"

Over the next few months, I plan on replacing my 3030, 4040 and 4080 with Series 2 TiVos.

Buying ethernet dongles and paying for the home media option will probably nickel and dime me into the poorhouse, all to get an inferior feature set, but I'm tired of the mickey mouse BS that ReplayTV has come to represent.

D&M should take solace in the fact that I'll also be buying Denon branded products in the near future, but DNNA has slid below Radio Hut on my brand preference list.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dyker
I didn't post because I'm tired of telling people to read my sig line and that I feel their pain. Owning a Replay is hard. It is a commitment. You really have to be up for the challenge. I wanted to quit many times. Even now when my unit is working I'm hearing my better half complain about how slow the unit responds compared to the old 3060, wondering why it repeats it repeats itself. Yeah, Owning a Replay is hard. Owning a Tivo is easy. I should know, I own both.
Well, I am with Heathriel on this one. I have been LUCKY. My 3030 was Rock Solid and after 3 years I added a 5080. The 5080 came in December 2002 and had not given me a single moments trouble. I have just purchased a new 5040 about 4 weeks ago and so far it has worked flawlessly, however, I know only time will tell. So far three machines and nothing to complain about. I just sold my 3030 on ebay and hope the purchaser knows what a good machine he has.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.