AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
You will always have bars with a ps2 on a modern hdtv. The ps2 was designed with tubes in mind, which have lots of overscan.

Overscan means that the picture being put to the screen is actually bigger than the frame of the tv. So there are parts you cant see, essentially. Game programmers dont want to waste horsepower rendering parts of the screen that the player will never see, so they limit the rendering to the area the player can see (i.e. inside the frame). That works great for SD & tube sets, and increases the performance of the game. But HD sets deal with overscan differently. Thats why you see the bars.

Unless your tv has adjustments for overscan in the menus (most dont) you are out of luck. Its just one of the issues in the transition from SD to HD.

I have the same issue with PS2's on my Pioneer Elite 1130HD. (50" plasma)

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
That true, you can use the screen modes to get rid of the bars. Just use the one you like best. Its preference really. You may be cutting off part of the game image, but it is just personal preference.

They arent overscan adjustments. Say you are watching a 4:3 show on an HD channel. You can use one of the modes to stretch the 4:3 image to fill the whole screen of your tv.

Yeah, just use whatever picture mode you like best. If you go over to the display forum and find the thread for the panasonics (which I dont know the specific details of... I'm a Pioneer guy) they may have better info for you.

List price for an 1130 was around $6500, if I remember right. It's a great tv and I'm really glad I bought it
Its about a year and a half old now... didnt realize it had been that long.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
It's my couches that make it work. When sitting, your head is resting on the back of the seat and you only have to look up a little. When reclining, it's just complete heaven.

I have 2 full size couches and a recliner, and the ends of the couches recline. When my canadian buds come over to watch hockey (canadians know laziness and comfort better than most), they just rack out and love it.

I'm in the process of ripping up the carpet to put in hardwood, and the walls and trim will all be redone hopefully soon. If anyone knows of any super deals on flooring, I need it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.