AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
buuut...i need to make one of my own. sorry :eek: so, i did my "level 1" research, and i'm in need of some input before i start narrowing my search and looking for the deals on specific components.

what i need is a nice entry level 5.1 system for ~$1000. i love loud, good quality sound for music(30%) and movies(70%), and it seems a separate reciever/speaker set-up is the way to go. i'm thinking a 7.1 reciever might be a good investment, although my current room (12' x 17') or budget wouldn't necessarily justify 7 speakers...and a sub.

i guess what i'd like to know is what would you guys buy if you had ~$1000 for 5 speakers, a sub and reciever? what are the specific recievers and speakers i should be looking at? i don't mind buying a refurb, if you guys suggest it. i trust your opinions greatly. thanks! :)

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
have you used the search function? these topics are discussed time and again, and I dont think the original posters would come back and post the same suggestions again and again

·
Registered
398 Posts
I just got a great deal on e-bay by bidding on one of Harman's refurb. receivers. It actually made my old Kenwood 3-way floor standing speakers sound new, and by adding some old outdoor Advent speakers for surrounds, I was almost in business. I'm a bass player, so I just plugged my bass amp in for the subwoofer, ha, and wow......it sounds amazingly good. I will eventually upgrade the speakers, but if you are willing to be inventive and experiment you could pull of a good system for under $1000. I found the receiver was the critical upgrade for me. I'll probably go for new front L and R speakers as funds permit. Of course a lot depends on whether you plan to listen more to music or movies. There is a lot to be said for having 5 matching speakers as far as keeping the tone equal, especially for movies. However, if you are more into music, you might get a good receiver and 2 really good front speakers. Then later....add a sub......then the front center and rear surrounds. Lots of options. Get out there and listen. Good luck.....and have fun.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the input guys.

F355- i have done my search, but there are crazy options, many people have different budgets/needs, and many threads have become out-dated due to the A/V progression.

Here's my growing list of options that I would like to try to narrow down a bit and create the match with the best bang for buck (and investment for future expansion):

Recievers:

HK avr435/335/135

Onkyo sr602/503

Pio 1015/1014/815

Yam 5790/5860/5890

Speakers:

Athena Audition

Athena Micra 6

Rocket Tykes

Acoustech 5.1

Polk CS1, R30/R50s, R15s

Dayton/Velodyne sub

Yam NS-125Fs and matching compnents

Hsu Research Ventriliquist package

Aperion Audio's Intimus 422/S-8

Infinity TSS-750s

not sure how great (or accurate) of a list that is, but please keep in mind i knew nothing about audio set-ups 2 days ago. i have spent countless hours trying to get a good foundation.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I would start with the receiver and stereo speakers and as budget allows add the rest. This will "create the match with the best bang for buck (and investment for future expansion)." I would go with the Ascend 340's $570 shipped and leaves $400+ for a receiver. Add a center channel ($314) and rears ($294-$344) and a sub (maybe an SV PB10 $430 plus shipping) down the road. Or you could go with the smaller 170's all around (get front 3 for $516 now and add rears and sub later). I just don't see any sense in getting five speakers and a sub if you feel you are making compromises and will want to upgrade asap. Not that we don't all want to upgrade all the time :)

I have a Pioneer Elite receiver and I am very happy with it so I would recommend the 1015tx which streets around $400.

Just my opinion. Jason

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Although I've never heard the Hsu vt12, if they're any bit as good as their subs, the STF2 + VT12 for $600 ($399 STF2 + $199 for the vt12) would probably sound killer. That is, assuming you don't have an exceedingly large room that'll require a larger sub. Add the Pio 1015 as mentioned above for $400. That oughtta hold you nicely until you get more cash to upgrade to larger speakers/subs. I doubt the Pio 1015 would go out of style any time soon.

Note, this discussion can go on and on...

·
Registered
243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by valhallak
I vote for the Pioneer VSX-1015 and the Infinity TSS750s or Polk RM10s.
Another vote for the Infinity TSS750.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
For a grand I'd get 2 mains and a sub.

Used too. So you can get some onnix reference 1's for ~ $700 and a hsu sub for ~$300. There's your grand and that is no way entry level.

Down the road try to get a center and some side surrounds.

If you want new ascend does the same price pretty much.

Then there's klipsch, psb, mirage, canton, energy, etc. etc. etc.

You could go DIY...

Seth

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Im with seth's opinion as well.

Invest in a great stereo with sub and this will keep your ears happy until you have extra money and you can add the surrounds or center or both depending on your listening habits and requirements.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
good stuff guys!! don't think i'm going to go diy though.

right now i'm thinking either the HK 335, Pio 1015, or Onkyo 602/503 for a reciever (~$400-450). might go refurb to save some money too. i heard denon offers some good factory refurbs??

for speakers i'm leaning towards some good fronts and a center (klipsch references, or maybe polks to save some money). i have the klipsch promedia 2.1s for my comp, so i was thinking about maybe using those for my rears and a temp. sub. is that even possible with that sub? it already has an amp in it- not sure how that would work. i could use the 2 speakers though. i'm definitely getting away from the 5.1 boxed systems, but the HSU, Infinity and Athena are tempting.

btw, i don't have a lot of room, so the smaller systems would work extermely well for me. however, i know i'd really LOVE some nice big klipsch bookshelves or floors. :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Here is my suggestion.

Energy is having a factory clearance at " http://www.audioprods.com/clearance_energy/ "

If you are ok with factory seconds/thirds (with minor cosmetic blemishes), you can get the below 5 speakers:

e-XL-26 $240 (Black Ash or Rose - 2-way system with 3/4" tweeter and 2x6.5" woofer)

e-XL-C2 $120 (Matte Black - 2-way with 3/4" tweeter and 2x5.5" woofer)

e-XL-15 $100 (White - 2-way with 3/4" tweeter and 5.5" woofer)

Ship. $70

----

Total $530

The only disadvantage of the above is the speakers are an older model and of different colors. Also I am not sure if floor speakers

are ok for you.

Receiver

--------

Panasonic SA-XR55 Receiver from Amazon = $230

Sub-Total = $760

Sub-woofer

----------

Dayton 12" subwoofer = ~$150 shipped

Total = ~$910

The rest for cables etc.

Or if you can extend your budget a bit, you can go for either the Hsu-STF-2 (about $450 shipped) or SVS PB-10 ISD (about $470 shipped)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks for the very complete response- i'll have to look into the Energy set-up.

it seems that everyone agrees that a good sub is essential. hmmm...now i'm starting to think the HSU system might be a good pick-up for $550. then when i want to upgrade the fronts and center, i already have a STF-2, as well as 2 sets of rears for a decent 7.1 system.

very stupid question: if i'm playing music on a 5.1 sat. system, does that mean i'm only using 2 little speakers and the sub?? ...not sure that would cut-it for me.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
I suggest

2 pair Athena AS-B1s

1 Athena AS-C1

The old models are still availible and cheap at audioadviser

Then I would suggest an HSU STF-1 sub(I actually would suggest going overbudget by $130 and buying the SV PB10-ISD)

That would leave you with about $350 for a receiver. I think you might be able to find a Pioneer 1015 TX for that price.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Well...you are getting lots of good advice so far. I forgot to mention one VERY important point. If you buy your receiver on-line, many companies, including Pioneer and Harman Kardon, willl only honor their warranties if you buy from and AUTHORIZED dealer. You can find a list of authorized dealers at each company's website, usually under "product support". Oh.......when you listen to music from a stereo CD or whatever on your 5.1 system, most receivers give you the option of listening to just the fronts and sub, OR they will also send the same signals to the rear speakers, or you can run the signal thru the receivers surround processors and it will add delay and try to make a virtual surround sound from the stereo source. Have fun.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
I'm not as risk averse as some, but this is my experience.

Athena F-1's - $153.62

Athena C-1 - $93.00

Athena R-1's - $154.50

Subwoofer - still need to get Dayton or Athena

Onkyo 602 - $278.25

Got all the speakers off Ebay over several months. Got the receiver refurb'd from J&R. Still need the sub, will either get the Athena 12" for $230 from Amazon or the Dayton 12" for about $150.

If I go with the Dayton sub, total of $829.37. The F-1's were really a steal.

There are lots of other brands I looked at, and most of them have already been mentioned.

If you want to go cheaper, I also got two separate sets of Athena Micras off Ebay. One for $218, one for $154, both are great. The first one was brand new.

You can definitely get a good setup for $1k.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Save, save and don't be afraid to look at the different speaker companies forums for folks selling to upgrade. Take a look at the ELT's set up at **********... Great sound and a great following from its users.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Quote:
i guess what i'd like to know is what would you guys buy if you had ~$1000 for 5 speakers, a sub and reciever? what are the specific recievers and speakers i should be looking at?
I think wud U should be lookin' at is savin' up another $1,000 - $1,500 an' gettin' sumthun' guud. Otherwize, yu'll nevur be quite happpy wich yur purchaz. I've bend down dat rhoad before.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.