AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm poised to buy a projector to go in the loft room. I'll be about 15ft from the screen , whcih I want to be about 6.5ft wide. I can control the light in the room which will be 'dedicated' for HT.

I can't decide on which of the following to buy:-

Panny AE300

Sony HS10

Sanyo PLV-Z1

HELP!

My current feeling is to go for the Sanyo with a BriteView progressive scan box from AV-Sales.

Not sure whether I'll loose much passsing the projector signal though my Yammy DSPe800 to switch sources (currently just a Tivo & DVD)? Also, Am I best taking the RGB Scart out->SVideo from my DVD player to projector/BriteView or use the SVideo->Svideo output instead?

·
Registered
6,339 Posts
IF you plan on watching a lot of HDTV, I say go for the Sony. If screendoor is a big issue to you or if you plan to sit fairly close to the screen, I say get the AE300. If all you want is a nice dvd image and (probably) a pretty nice HDTV image for a low price, I say go for the Z1.

From your seating distance and the screen size you mention, any of the projectors should be fine for not seeing the pixel grid.....but the hs10 and ae300 will still be "better" in that aspect compared to the Z1.

·
Registered
245 Posts
ditto Rob's post - perfect summary (trying to get my post count up :) )

Dave

·
Registered
99 Posts
I would also agree with Rob but I have concerns about the Z1's fan noise problem and now the new optics problem.

Not everyone has these issues; many LOVE their Z1. But there are many posts on this board from people who are irked by their Z1's intermittent fan noise (possibly fixable by a firmware patch but this has not been confirmed).

Projectorcentral.com was unable to complete testing of a Z1 to be reviewed due to problems with its optics. This spurred a series of posts from folks who likewise have some kind of mild optics problem.

That said, MOST Z1 owners seem very happy with their PJs and it's a good value for the money.

Just something to be aware of before taking the plunge.

-Colin.

·
Registered
6,339 Posts
Quote:
I would also agree with Rob but I have concerns about the Z1's fan noise problem and now the new optics problem.
I am thinking the fan issue was mainly an international issue. I have a north american Z1 and from 9 hours of viewing it (in only 3 sittings) and have had zero fan issues. Obviosuly it could be a problem for all Z1s but mine seems fine.

As for the optics, I think that was just an issue with the certain z1 Projector central had. If we are to question the model itself because of one problem projector then I guess we should be cautious of buying any LCD projector because hey, dead pixels occur on the occasional projector and some projectors have other issues that while aren't widespread, they do happen.

Basically, one should not jump to conclusions because one person had a problem. I haven't had problems. Niether have others here. So why does one person saying they have this "optics" problem deserve more weighting than the rest of us who have zero problems?

All car models have at least one lemon out there. Even the Lexus LS430 whihc is the most reliable and well buuilt car on the road. Should we all be concerned of every car because of the rare lemon? Of course not.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
I wasn't too concerned with the fan on the Z1 but the image didn't seem "up to par" with some of it's competition.

My 2 cents would go to the AE300 ... but keep in mind I haven't seen the Sony in action.

·
Registered
6,339 Posts
Wasn't up to par? Really. That's interesting. Let me guess. screendoor was the reason because it sure as hell couldn't be the colour or contrast. Those are quite good on the z1 for its price/competition and I will bet all the money in the world the HS10 and Ae300 don't have better colours or blacks/shadow detail. Maybe equal but not better.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rlindo
Basically, one should not jump to conclusions because one person had a problem. I haven't had problems. Niether have others here. So why does one person saying they have this "optics" problem deserve more weighting than the rest of us who have zero problems?
I'm just filling him in on what has been going on with that model as of late (since it's his first post). I do clearly say that most users do not report these problems, that it's not a deal-breaker but "something to be aware of."

And it's at least two with optics issues: projector central and then another report here (I thought I saw a third).

Regardless, now that he's aware of the issue, he can track it himself and see if the number of people reporting the problem continues to grow, or subsides. These things get discussed in hopes of finding out IF there is a problem. If no more get discussed over the next week, I'm sure we can conclude this is a fluke and not bad run of Z1s of which to be wary.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've been waiting with baited breath for a week to read projector centrals review of the Z1. It's the main thing hanging me back at the moment. Also, do you guys think the sony is worth another £800? We don't get HDTV in England but I guess the sony is more 'future proof'?

Thanks to the people who have posted replies so far. YOur comments are appreicated.

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
As a biased HS10 owner, I would definitely say the HS10 is more future proof given the significant step up in resolution and HDCP encoding.

But I think the resolution also has advantages in the here and now. The HS10 to me looks more detailed than other projectors I've seen, and if you're looking for the big image, the HS10's brightness and resolution helps it very comfortably project the 120" I'm curently enjoying. And of course the lessened screen door effect has also to do with its superior resolution.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm New to this but this is my understanding as far as one of the main benifits of buying a HS10 for use in England over the Sanyo.

I think that the panel of the Sanyo is 964x544 and DVD PAL resolution is 720x576. One of the benefits of the Sony HS10 is the ability apparently to map 1024x768 (4:3) natively 1:1 to the projector which is going to be ideal for using www.dscaler.org when watching 4:3 material. This I would imagine would be difficult with the Sanyo.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My Sony is chipped and about 70% of my DVDs are Region one. I try to but Widescreen versions of the films whenever possible. Not sure if there are any issues with the projectors I'm considering when it comes to playback of both PAL and NTSC disks.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rlindo
Wasn't up to par? Really. That's interesting. Let me guess. screendoor was the reason because it sure as hell couldn't be the colour or contrast. Those are quite good on the z1 for its price/competition and I will bet all the money in the world the HS10 and Ae300 don't have better colours or blacks/shadow detail. Maybe equal but not better.
Sure as "heck" would be the color. Yes, Shrek and Monsters,Inc look good on it. But I saw it with Matrix and MinB and it looked horrible (IMO). If I am going to throw $1500 at something it isn't going to be equipment for my tots to watch movies. And yes, screen door is poor, but I tend to not let that bother me.

My overall though on it reminded me of playing old Activision video games next to my new X-Box. (maybe it was the menu that caused that relation).

Bottom line, you get what you pay for. It isn't a bad projector for it's price range. I just personally would prefer another model or to spend my money on a tube while saving up for something better.

Again ... IMO.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just finished Matrix yesterday with Z1 and I can not say it's horrible. Matrix is a movie where whenever the characters are in the "matrix". the color is always dull to imply that world is fake. Try seeing the scenes when they are on the ship. That is real color and preety vibrant to my eyes.

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jim v2.0
We don't get HDTV in England but I guess the sony is more 'future proof'?
As far as preparing for the future, I think it depends on how far out you are thinking. Having something that is HDTV compatible probably helps resale, but just think of where these projectors were 2 years ago (people trash stuff much newer than this around here) and where they are likely to be in a couple of years. If you are going to stay on this forum you're either going to want to upgrade later or you have more immunity to that than most around here. With how fast prices are dropping I would say preparing for 6 months to a year out makes sense for a lot of people around here.

Edit: As others have said, more pixels can really help the image, contrary to what a lot of people think. There have been some good threads on the >$5k forum explaining how more pixels helps the image even with DVDs and then it mostly depends on whether you are sitting close enough to the screen to notice.

I still think the smooth screen technology on the AE300 is pretty incredible for those that like an image without screendoor, like me, though.

--Darin

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Jim v2.0, it might be worth while to take into account that the AE300 gives AA quality (according to the manual) when feeding 625i (which is PAL interlaced I believe).

DukeRem, the AE300 is under US$2000 from our favorite japanese vendor.

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DukeRem
What is the price range of AE300?
When I quoted a price under $2k + DVD player to Evan Powell from projectorcentral.com he emailed me back and said he thought I could beat that when it does come out from their commercial division in the US under a different model number. Of course, this is just speculation until they are released. I'm hoping his review will show up before Christmas as he should be getting it next week.

--Darin

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm looking forward. AE300 should be better than Z1, IMO, basing on the specs we know of it.

The HS10 could be even a bit better, but has quite an higher cost. We'll see: I'm glad I won't have my new home ready for another 1 month or two, so I can sit and wait to see which is the best for the money ;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.