AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just one last question before I order tonight. This one has me just a little nervous.

How does the X1 perform in lighted conditions? I know like most projectors that it will prefer a completely black room, but like most people I can't do that so I'm wondering if during the day I wanna watch movies or play video games or whatnot - how is it going to look?

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
It depends really on how large your screen is and how much ambient light you have. Screen gain also plays a factor.

Basically, a 5 foot wide screen is much more watchable with some lights on compared to a 10 foot wide screen.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Here's a screenshot with the X1 displaying Family Guy on a 9 foot diagonal light tan/brown screen with a large florescent light on 3-4 feet away. I'm surprised at how good a screenshot I got, because usually the light near the screen washed the picture out a lot. It's best when the light is not shining near or right on the screen. Check out the screen shot:

http://gallery.avsforum.com/showphot...t=1&thecat=508

·
Registered
131 Posts
Yeah, I wouldn't be too worried. It's not going to look perfect, but it will look passable. When I was working at BB over the holidays, they set one up in the computer department and just shot a movie onto a wall. ONTO A beige WALL!

Now, I was on the other side of the store (video department), and the 200+" image they were shooting was fairly clean. Washed out, yes, but I could tell what they were watching.

Some video games may still seem a little dark, like the Resident Evil series, but then again, those games were meant to be played with the lights off...

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
One thing you may want to consider for the best results is a light grey screen and possibly hanging some cheap black sheets near the screen or whatever you can do to keep light from reflecting off of light colored walls.

I have white walls so I hung some sheets to keep light from bouncing back onto the screen. It definetely helps.

If you want better blacks ESPECIALLY with some ambient light you will want a light grey screen. I painted a screen light grey and the blacks have improved greatly. They even pretty black with ambient light. With one light on I hung up a white screen to compare the two and the white's "black" looked incredibly washed out next to the black on the grey screen.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.