AVS Forum banner
  • Get an exclusive sneak peek into our new project. >>> Click Here
  • Our native mobile app has a new name: Fora Communities. Learn more.

I'm going with a CRT instead...

687 Views 11 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  madpoet
I've been looking to buy a DLP/LCD or CRT. After all the looking I decide that a CRT is better. I don't have to worry about screen door effects rainbow, bulb burning out after 1000hrs. From what I've been reading about CRT's they will last much longer, the resolution is much better, bulbs last longer.

I know that getting a CRT used is around the same price as a new lcd or dlp, but if I buy it from good dealer I shouldn't have to worry to much. Plus, I just like the picture better, can't seem to get used to the digital look on the dlp/lcd.

What do you guys think?
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
i'd consider a used CRT if i had 9' ceilings in my basement ;)
I think you posted to the wrong forum. ;) :D
Quote:
Originally posted by rdefino

What do you guys think?
What do I think? Well ... being that you are from Chelmsford, I will try to use some local terminology.

I decided to go with CRT instead of a little DLP or LCD as well ...

Because with the strong currents at the mouth of the Merrimack river in Newburyport ... I needed a bigger BOAT ANCHOR. :D
I've got a Sony G70 I'll be selling soon and I'm in Southern NH. I'll PM you when I finally get it all back together and saleable.

That said, I'm switching back to digital for a reason.
As long as you're ok with how much it weighs and the tweaking I'd say congratulation.
I have a NEC 9pg+ CRT and it is nice but a pain in the ass.. it weighs 180lbs, im continually messing with it, and it drifts out of convergence.. i just bought a Sanyo Z2 and am totally happy.. i hate to say it but the picture is 95% as good as CRT with zero hassles.. it's for sale if you want it, hehe..

Craig

ps. the whole bulb thing with a digital is the only thing that sucks.. they are expensive, only have like a 30 day warranty and can go at any time...
I would still rather compromise a little picture quality, and only have to worry about changing bulbs every 2-3000 hours rather than re tubing after 10,000...Not to mention all the time you spend on CRT`S looking at the whole screen to see if your colors are converged rather than enjoying what it is you are supposed to be watching.
Quote:
Originally posted by Craig Woodhall
ps. the whole bulb thing with a digital is the only thing that sucks.. they are expensive, only have like a 30 day warranty and can go at any time...
Granted, it's not a projector, but when I bought my 60v500 (LCD RPTV) from HHGregg, the sales guy assured me that the extended warrantee covered the bulb. At $500 for five years warrantee, and about $300 per bulb, I figure I can get two bulbs out of them and make $100 in the deal. Besides, if the bulb lasts 8000 hours (if I recall correctly, that's how long my TV's bulb is expected to last) and I watch 12 hours of TV a day (a lot, I think you'd agree), that's 666 days of TV watching before it goes. Now, ask yourself how long you'll really have your projector. How many bulbs will you have to buy over its life? Now, add that in to the cost of the projector--is it still cheaper than the alternatives, relative to the picture quality? I bet it is...
I would dare anyone come over to my house and bring their $1500 digital projector for a showdown.
And it starts . . . *sigh*
And it ends. This thread has about zero chance of not becomming a flame fest. Good luck with your CRT.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.