AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few days ago I received my Denon DVD-1600 and I am having second thoughts about it and they are:

1. I should have gotten a less expensive dvd player.

2. I might not use DVD-Audio at all.

3. Not sure if the DVD-1600 is worth $320.00 for just the picture quality alone.

I'm now looking at the Onkyo DV-SP501 DVD Player, because it fits my needs. I'm not sure if I should exchange the DVD-1600 for the Onkyo DV-SP501.

If you were in my shoes, what would you do?

·
Registered
607 Posts
Keep the 1600 is a great player and passes up both of the onkyo units you are looking at in PQ.

A second way of looking at is........ How much did you pay for your TV? Don't you want your X amount tv to perform at its optimum level?

Joel

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
Didn't you start with a cheaper JVC model? If you only cared about cost you should have stuck with the JVC, its fine for under $100. But if you want the best picture quality and de-interlacing $320 is not a bad price to pay. I personally saved a little money by buying a Panasonic XP30 on EBAY for $200 (since I didn't need DVD-Audio either) - thats the only cheaper approach. But you do get a full new warranty with a new Denon 1600, so its a good choice too. Another new model (with Faroudja) you could save some money on is the new Mitsubishi DD-8040 at Tweeter for $249 and it even includes DVD-Audio and has a few features Denon doesn't have like zoom and window-box scaling. The Denon 1600 is still a little better picture quality however.

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
Good choice Kage - its easy to get the feeling that some other player is better but its just "the grass is always green over the next hill" thing. Use that DVD-1600 until it drops, maybe in 5 years there really will be something better available and cheaper too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.