AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks, Anybody have an idea on how to get wrinkles out of blackout liner? Im using it as a temporary screen (while building and testing theater), but I'd still like to get the wrinkles out of it. I was leary about trying to iron it (rubberized fabric), but I tried it on a test piece. Ended up turning the iron to highest setting - with steam! - and still not a dent!?! Even wet the fabric then ironed; wrinkles still there. Tried starch... and i swear I think a couple of wrinkles are now more wrinkle-ee-er?? Maybe. Any thoughts much appreciated. [Oh yeah, screen is on electric roller with weighted bottom bar (98" wide) - it's not a stretch-til-smooth on frame situation.]

Thanx much.

(FYI: While you 'can' iron the stuff, you have to be careful not to stretch it while you do because the heat can distort the fabric.)

[Update: I'm pretty sure they'll find a cure for cancer before science figures out how to get wrinkles out of this stuff. I don't think it's possible... not without extreme measures. ?

·
Banned
2,411 Posts
Hmm, I had a similar issue with a 142" screen. I first stretched the material onto a frame. Then I used a steam iron and and pumped steam holding the iron about an inch over the screen. The screen was leaning against a wall. I then turned the screen over and did it to the backside. Since the material was stretched, the wrinkles came out as the material dried. There was still slight folding lines left, but these came out after I spray painted the screen and the paint dried. Without stretching the material it's almost impossible to get the wrinkles out.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.