AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It looks like I'm getting a 1031Q. I was planning on getting a higher end machine like a 1271Q or NEC 6 PG (almost had a 6 PG
) but after thinking about it quite a bit, I decided that maybe I should stick with an entry level projector for now. Also, the 1031Q is smaller, a LOT lighter, and from what I've read on this forum, it's very quiet. All those qualities won me over. I'm getting it from Hammerhead for a very good price, and as you can see from the attached picture it has squeaky clean tubes!

Now all I need is one of those odd 15 to 25 pin VGA cables, and a VGA switchbox - since my PC will not be a dedicated HTPC.

Larry

·
Registered
16,839 Posts
Welcome to the group Larry ,

-- I am sure that you will have questions in the coming days so please feel free to ask , we are here to help ;) .

-- I can help you with the 15 to 25 pin cable if you need it .

--- Man those tubes look Great !

--- Best Wishes ,

---- Jason Berg

·
Banned
2,582 Posts
Good Deal :)

Let us know how it works out. I know I would love to know the quality you receive from HAMMERHEAD.

I am in the process of getting a 1031Q1 and re doing it a little for resale.

I love my 1031Q. These unit are indeed quit. Even at low audio levels and with the Pj close to the seating area the unit is impossible to hear!

Check out my Theater in th emembers are to see how close the unit is to the seating , its just forward and over head.........

great little PJ's

·
Registered
16,839 Posts
Vic ,

-- I bid on that 1030Q1 [ Ebay ] too but I was not sure about the seller so I backed off it . Hope it works out well for you .

--- Jason Berg

·
Registered
67 Posts
lsteere, congratulations on your purchase!

I recently sold my lt150 but have been researching CRT projectors for the past 3-5 months. The 1031Q is a major player on my list since this will be my first FP CRT projector. I really like the fact that it is a smaller system and a lot lighter. I have a few questions for those who do have the 1031Q:

- Since there are no memories because of its' analog control nature, can width/horizontal sizing be adjusted without affecting convergence, geometry, etc?

- Since this will be my first FP, would I be better off looking for something more user friendly?

- Also, how difficult is analog convergence as opposed to digital convergence?

- Last thing, how obvious is scanline structure at 480p on this projector? The projector would only be a mere 7 feet from the screen (I'll be seated at 8 feet) so would an rptv be more feasible?

If anyone feels up to the task of answering some of these questions, I would greatly appreciate your help. Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A couple questions about the cable needed for a HTPC.

- Is the 25 pin cable end male or female? I'm assuming male.

- Is this the same connector as used on parallel printer cable? If so I have an extra that I can dismantle and use.

- What is the pinout from VGA HD15 to DB25?

Thanks for any info.

Larry

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks eschlene.

I can't wait to get the projector. I've already got my DIY screen mostly finished - it just needs a couple coats of ultra white paint, and black picture frame molding. I'm also nearly finished rearranging the room to accomidate the PJ when it arrives.

If I feel confident that I know how to do it, I will probably try to build the cable myself - not sure yet.

Larry

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Larry, Glad you got a projector after what happened the last time around. I've never owned the Sony. but from what I have read, they are great units. Good luck and welcome to the CRT club.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Speaking of a 1030Q I just got one. Wonder how a triple stack would work?! 1500 lumens!? Actually I heard the 1030Q can do 480p but the horizontal edges of the raster have to be a bit cut-off. Actually the 1030Q is really going to be just a beater projector for my folks as it is just barely able to handle a line doubler (or at least I hope I'm getting one that can handle 32KHz and not one of the 26KHz ones!). They were going to get an interlaced TV otherwise! Yuck! The 1031Q is a solid projector. I would even argue that it's a step above entry level. Being 36KHz max horiz. scan it can fully resolve DVD via an HTPC, and as Jason has seen, it can be pushed even a bit further. And in doing that you need more than just a beginner's knowledge and a beginner's setup. I'd classify "entry-level" as anything video-only (interlaced) and certainly not capable of HDTV as the 1031Q is (540p). The 1031Q is light-weight, small, reasonably bright if your tubes are good, and very capable as far as DVD resolution is concerned. As far as fan noise it is good about that but I can still hear it (mine is floor mounted). It's weakness is the fact that it's analog (no easy hardware aspect ratio switch) and the basic optics aren't as good as the 104x's (though they can be upgraded) and certainly are inferior the 12xx's and beyond. Though it is by far the most capable of the 10xx line and an amazing value. HDTV for around $500!? Phenomenal! Welcome to the club!

·
Registered
16,839 Posts
Ok , here are the pinouts for the cable ...

----------------------------------------------------------------

Sony 103XQ / 15 pin VGA to the 25 pin RGB2 input

----------------------------------------------------------------

15 pin VGA ............. 25 pin SONY

__________________ ______________

1) RED .................. 6) RED

2) GREEN ................ 5) GREEN

3) BLUE.................. 4) BLUE

6) RED Ground(coax shld.)... 15) ground

7) Green Ground " " " ...... 16) ground

8) Blue ground " " " ...... 17) ground

13) Hor Sync ................. 3) Hor Sync

14) Ver Sync ................ 3) Hor/Ver Sync

NOTE : Combine 13 & 14 from the 15pin VGA to the #3 pin on the 25pin RGB2 - this will give you composite sync . This configuration should allow any VGA source . For the HT/PC you may need to use powerstrip 3 and set the H and V sync to negative [ must do this for a GeForce card as it will not do the sync on its own ] . The 25 pin is a Female and the 15 pin is a Male .

--------------------------------------------------------------------

-- Jason Berg

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Jason.

One other question ;)

I'll be using a Cat5e cable, and I take it that your diagram is for coax since it says "coax shld". Since I'll be using Cat5e, I assume it doesn't really matter which color wire I use as long as I match up the pins as per your diagram. Is my assumption correct?

Thanks again,

Larry

·
Registered
155 Posts
I'm assuming that you're planning to make a long run, that's why you're using cat5. I'm not sure if it's advised to use cat5 cable. I don't know much about cabling and impedence and all that other jazz, but I figured that every VGA cable that I've seen is pretty heavy duty with proper shielding and such. Would cat5 be able to keep the signal over a long run? And, how long can that run be? If it will be okay, then I might have solved my problem of not being able to build a dedicated HTPC right now. I could use my current one with a cable long enough to reach my 1031. (sorry i added a question to your post:()

·
Registered
16,839 Posts
Larry ,

-- correct , just match the proper wire at each end and you are good .

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Coppertop ,

-- CAT 5e will work just fine for a good distance [ not too long though ] . It has 350Mhz capacity and the results with this cable are fantastic .

--------------------------------

--- Jason Berg

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
jason what's up? how far could you go with cat 5?would 25-30 feet be safe enough?if so do you build them with this cable?if so give me a holler thru email...also it's good to see so many people getting 1031's!!!they are awesome...i had to redo my htpc so i should be back in business soon...via was killing me..totally intel now!!!!

brickie

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.