AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I still think the Hitachi is the more capable set (when calibrated), but I'm actually thinking the Toshiba will be fine OOTB with little tweaking, and probably better than the Hitachi SWX.

And I am still convinced the Toshiba produces a better picture from digital cable and\\or satellite. I know I have no proof, but my eyes are telling me that. I don't know why. You can do test patterns all day, but what matters is how it looks during regular use. The stretch modes seem to help the Toshiba more.

Anyways, if I don't buy the Hitachi tomorrow (Sunday), I'm not going to get it (due to specials ending). I unfortunately have to purchase the Toshiba online, but I guess I'm willing to roll the dice that way. As it is, I'm more certain I'll like the Toshiba than I am the Hitachi once it's actually in my home and I'm actually using it.

Not to mention I'm going to save several hundred dollars (and no tax online).

Frank

Gainesville, FL

·
Registered
141 Posts
As many have said before. It is your decision either way. Make it and be happy with it (espeically if you order online!). Remember, the set you really want is always going to be five years away.

·
Registered
19 Posts
You may have a HDX dealer in your town.

Visit http://www.imagingscience.com/ and look for ISF Trained Dealers in your neighborhood. These are small independent dealers each specializing in one brand of RPTV. There are two in my town, a Mitsubishi dealer who sells ISF calibrated xx711 series and a Toshiba dealer who sells ISF calibrated Cinema series (HDX). Considering the cost of ISF calibration, their total prices are competitive with online vendors on the same models. Check out such dealers in your area.

What concerned me about both was the fact that they'd calibrate a set in their shop after a brief burn in period and before the delivery to customer's home. In their opinion , a set may need only its convergence adjusted after the move.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I haven't seen a Toshiba in over 4 years in Houston where I live. All the good dealers got out of that business back in 98 to 99 because they have so many returns on major stuff, they became a warranty dealer and not a sales company. That was 2 dealers and about 11 outlets in one town that make up about 25 percent of the city. I always liked their pictures, but after both the big one's getting out and having friends at both that were in management and confirming that was the reason, I just eliminated them from my list.

I went through the Elite, Mitsu Diamond and Hitachi XWX decision and ended up with the Hitachi because of analog pictures on the 2 others being so bad and no Digital PIP on either of the other 2 with a split screen, while the Hitachi did not only one, but both could be in HD. In the end I found the 65 inch a little to big in my setting because of the ultra low pitch and only having just under 14 feet to sit. I dont know your distance and you should disclose that as it does matter. One TV may be better but in a different size another.

Toshiba may have gotten better in reliability and I hope they did as they have a nice picture, but since you mentioned watching in stretch modes, we are definitely very different. I will never sacrifice quality for filling a screen and none of them look equal stretching to native. If you just want the best HD picture bar none, buy the Mitsu Diamond. If you go Hitachi go for the 57 inch as distance is more critical on these new sets and you realistically need about 18 feet for that 60 inch in HD, no doubt.

I feel compelled to tell you that ultimately I had to settle for a very good but less than best HD picture to get a set that does analog even decent. The Mitsu and Elite were horrible and I mean 1945 horrible in analog and with the limited HD programming, you and your family are forced to still watch analog and the analog picture on both of those was beyond possible to tolerate. I haven't seen the brand new Elite and did notice that it has 540 p which seems to be part of the battle. I also have remorse for having to have the biggest and not waiting the Elite out and others as once you get HD going it is your eye of quality that gets critical over size, and I have never been like that with old analog as the difference wasn't as great.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Just to help you out, you sound alot like me - I went with the Toshiba and am not disappointed. I'll concede, as well, that the Toshiba is slightly lower res than the Hitachi, but that's only one aspect of overall PQ. Being an Electronics Engineer who worked in video long ago, I used to focus (no pun intended) on resolution as the most important spec. However, I now believe it's wrong to put that one spec at the top, forgetting other important PQ elements. Ultimately, it's the overall viewing experience that's important, and that's very hard to quantify when you mix all the individual specifications together in one package. That's why viewing for yourself is stressed so much on this forum.

One last thing - the Toshiba is not perfect -- the sound system, for example, basically sucks. But that's really the job of a separate sound system in a home theater, so it doesn't bother me.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Addicted,

Wow .. someone recommending Mitsu .. you know a year ago they were great .. but you put a Mitsu up against a SWX or HDX82 it just is not there ..

The Toshiba HDX82 IMHO is the BEST "value" buy you can make. It is rougly $600 less then a comparable sized SWX and you lose virtually nothing for that $600 .. depending on just how critical you are there might be a finite difference between the two but it is small .. and there is no question the Toshiba has a better 16x9 stretch mode such that you can't really even tell the picture is being stretched ..

As far as "quality" goes .. i've talked to a number of dealers around here .. they get more Hitachi's back on return then they do Toshibas .. for some reason Toshiba just gets mentioned more .. probably because of some of the relatively minor problems like the speaker hissing ..

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I didn't recommend getting the Mitsu, but said if just HD picture was it than that was the best that I have seen and it was emperical, not just what I thought. I had 11 people look at all 3 of them and 11 and 0 with no prompting. The Mitsu Diamond in HD only just blew away the hitachi and Pioneer Elite, but sucked huge in analog by stretching huge and digitizing the figures huge. You can't judge off the store I found out as the Mitsubishi got 300 percent better at home and the Pioneer got about a full time better and the Hitachi less than twice. They run those amplified multi feeds and the light stink and they set them for that horrible environment, which is so much worse than your home. Hitachi's have never broken like Toshiba's but I do hope they have gotten better. At least at the top level which is what we are talking about here. Maybe at the low level non HD, which wouldn't matter in this illustration. I know 3 people that work for very large players at management level and have some pretty good numbers on the whole.

I assume you either didn't see a Diamond or if you did it was hooked up very poorly to think my TV or yours had a better picture and I wish you were right, but I just couldn't have all analog stink like it did. Do you know if any scalars work well on these RPTV's that aren't out of the world cost?

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
I've had the 50HDX82 for a month and a half now. Great set. I haven't had the opportunity to see any HD material on it as yet (blame Comcast for that one) but so far DVDs look superb and analog/digital cable looks good. Overall I think it's the best buy (and your pockets will thank you).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.