AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had D* with HD service for the past 6 months. I've decided to switch to local cable due to the better selection of HD content, plus the lower pricing I get with my current cable internet through the same company. However, the HD/DVR box from my cable company does not come with an OTA jack in the back. So instead of keeping my D* box around, I'd like to look into another stand-alone box to receive the OTA signals.

What are my options? Thanks guys.

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
Any OTA ATSC tuner such as the LG 4200A. Seeing they run $200-300, why not just use the Directv box?

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones73
Any OTA ATSC tuner such as the LG 4200A. Seeing they run $200-300, why not just use the Directv box?
Well, part of the reason of asking this was to also get an idea of price. If they do run that much, I will stick with my D* box :). I'm assuming I can still use it for OTA even though it won't be activated anymore?

·
Registered
122 Posts
"I'm assuming I can still use it for OTA even though it won't be activated anymore?"

I'm curious too whether the D* HD box can be used for OTA reception without a subscription. Anyone know?

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blurredvision
Well, part of the reason of asking this was to also get an idea of price.
LG4200A is a well regarded STB, but there are cheaper alternatives. Samsung SIR-T151 are readily available on ebay for $50-$75.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vurbano
Yes it can.
I don't know what box the original poster has, but can you use the H-10 receiver for OTA only? I've read that you cannot with this model.

Robert

·
Registered
950 Posts
I posted this earlier, but hows $50 for you? Thats what you can get a used VOOM box on ebay for. Check it out...

·
Registered
4,991 Posts
I am currently a E* HD subscriber. I have HD, I have OTA. I need a third box for HD OTA only. Please be specific... Will any old E*/D*/V* (OTA) box work:

1. WITHOUT an access card?

2. WITHOUT a subscription?

3. WITHOUT a physical dish hooked up?

Thanks

Hammer

·
Registered
950 Posts
An E or D box will require you to be connected to satellite and will charge you for additional reciever. The Voom box, assuming that is an activated one, NOT brand new, will provide OTA HD with no strings attached. The Voom box is made by Motorola and appears to be of fairly good quality.

·
Registered
22,249 Posts
If you are an E* subscriber, I beleive only an E* STB is compatible.

·
Registered
4,991 Posts
Really? I've heard that for initial setup of an E* or D* box you need an Lnb hooked up and pointed. But I've never heard that a sub is mandatory to see OTA. If that is true, it really cuts down on the OTA only options!

Can anyone confirm/deny?

Hammer

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
My understanding from reading Dish forums elsewhere for the past year and a half, is no, you don't need a subscription.

·
Registered
22,249 Posts
Nor do you need D* pointed at a satellite... only E*. No subs required for either (for OTA only).

·
Registered
950 Posts
It may be that you dont get guide info for E or D without a sub.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.