AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I already posted something like this in the "2 channel audio" section, but I see that this section has more viewers so I'm going to post it here. I've also changed it a little bit so hopefully I won't get in too much trouble

Anyway, I'm looking for a 2.0 system that has good sound. I obviously don't mean good-good sound otherwise I would want more pieces and I have to spend more money. Besides for the money I'm taking these to my dorm room and I have no interest in bringing along a whole big system. I just want to listen to music through speakers with decent sound from my mp3 player. I don't need amazing bass but I don't want it to be lacking in lows like cheap speakers that sound like a pair of headphones screaming their heads off. I kind of want to get them within the next couple of days, but it's really hard to pick out a pair of speakers without actually hearing them (being that reviews aren't always so helpful due to different tastes in sound). I want to spend around $30 to $40 but that's only because I know less than that is probably more-or-less garbage. Right now I'm looking at the JBL Duets (if anyone knows about those please help), but if someone has better suggestions I'll take 'em

Thanks a lot!

P.S. I'm not looking for big stereo speakers either, just speakers that you might upgrade your computer speakers with.

·
Registered
15,247 Posts
$30 to $40 a pair?

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Save up for a while and look for some Energy speakers

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
Harman International (parent company of JBL, Infinity, Harman Kardon, Revel) puts referbished gear up on ebay constantly (including computer speakers). Look for the seller Harmanaudio. I think I've won 11 of their auctions.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Start saving, son. A good pair of headphones will probably run you $300.00. In 2009, a two-channel audio system that AVS forum members would own is way out of your league. If I were on my way to college, I would invest in a good pair of earbuds. If you take a good speaker system to school, they will probably get stolen. Another option to consider is a good pair of speakers and subwoofer for your computer. They are most likely in your price range, portable, and it wouldn't kill you if another student stole them out of your dorm room.

·
Registered
498 Posts
There is another option that will be close to your budget that will get you sound quality far above any speakers at the same price. TRT gave it away in his post, headphones. Like he said many quality sets are in the $300 and up range, but there are some high quality cheaper options.
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR-V6-Mo...lp_edpp_ttl_ex

These Sony are well reviewed and have been in production for a very long time. They are easy to drive so you would not need anything else. The sound quality will be great and since you are in a dorm room, you won't be bothering anyone else.

·
Registered
226 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkinguy /forum/post/16996564

I already posted something like this in the "2 channel audio" section, but I see that this section has more viewers so I'm going to post it here. I've also changed it a little bit so hopefully I won't get in too much trouble

Anyway, I'm looking for a 2.0 system that has good sound. I obviously don't mean good-good sound otherwise I would want more pieces and I have to spend more money. Besides for the money I'm taking these to my dorm room and I have no interest in bringing along a whole big system. I just want to listen to music through speakers with decent sound from my mp3 player. I don't need amazing bass but I don't want it to be lacking in lows like cheap speakers that sound like a pair of headphones screaming their heads off. I kind of want to get them within the next couple of days, but it's really hard to pick out a pair of speakers without actually hearing them (being that reviews aren't always so helpful due to different tastes in sound). I want to spend around $30 to $40 but that's only because I know less than that is probably more-or-less garbage. Right now I'm looking at the JBL Duets (if anyone knows about those please help), but if someone has better suggestions I'll take 'em

Thanks a lot!

P.S. I'm not looking for big stereo speakers either, just speakers that you might upgrade your computer speakers with.

Im seriously doubting that anybody here has much experience with 30-40 dollar speakers, much less pairs. I think you should try some computer forums or something.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I already have a pair of Shure e2c's but it's annoying having to walk around with them whenever I just want to chill out in my room and listen to something. I also like playing music for other people and that's kind of hard while wearing earbuds. :/

Looneybomber thanks for that tip. I should've thought about checking out ebay for the more "expensive" speakers like the duet II's or maybe even the duet III's(hey, you never know!).

As TRT kind of said, and what I see now tank171 just said, this is the wrong forum to ask people about such amatuer speakers, but I didn't really know this when I put up my post.

I'd like to thank everyone who stooped down to my level to give me suggestions.

·
Registered
111 Posts
If you want decent sound for around $100, look up M-Audio's line of computer speakers - they're marketed as mini-monitors, but they should work pretty well as a 2.0 desktop setup.

No offense, but the sound quality out of $30 stereo pairs isn't much better than the sound quality you get out of $1 Benwins on Ebay. Save up a little more.

·
Registered
4,645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkinguy /forum/post/16997316

The same type of speakers that people (not AVS forum members, of course) use for their computers.

Hey, there may be some pretentious people on here, but I'm sure we've all been in your shoes; no money, yet wanting some music. For my computer, I've gone as low as using a factory 6.5" car speaker, stuck in a tupperwear container (for an enclosure) and thrown into a Topsy popcorn tin filled with clothes to help filter out the higher frequencies, and powered by an old boombox. It was my subwoofer and it didn't cost me anything.

I see the Duet I's sold for between $5-15.
http://completed.shop.ebay.com/Deskt...=p3911.c0.m282

1 - 20 of 28 Posts