AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had an Oppo DV-970HD for well over a year now, and I have been quite pleased with its performance when it comes to Region 1 NTSC DVDs.

However, I have been rather disappointed with playback when it comes to my Region 2 PAL DVDs, as the image often skips and hiccups as the movie plays.

I was thinking of getting a newer multi-region player, but I want to make sure I get something with better PAL-to-NTSC capabilities. If possible, I still would like to get a player that also upconverts over HDMI, has a zoom function for non-anamorphic DVDs, and automatically pillar-boxes 4:3 content.

What is recommended?

·
Registered
22,522 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Dan /forum/post/15586309

I have had an Oppo DV-970HD for well over a year now, and I have been quite pleased with its performance when it comes to Region 1 NTSC DVDs.

However, I have been rather disappointed with playback when it comes to my Region 2 PAL DVDs, as the image often skips and hiccups as the movie plays.

I was thinking of getting a newer multi-region player, but I want to make sure I get something with better PAL-to-NTSC capabilities. If possible, I still would like to get a player that also upconverts over HDMI, has a zoom function for non-anamorphic DVDs, and automatically pillar-boxes 4:3 content.

What is recommended?

You're basically describing an Oppo player. The 983 is by far the best at PAL conversion and upscaling, but the 980 and 981 are also quite good. I've never seen any issues like you describe on either my 980 or 983.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts