AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, here's my situation. I've been using an Optima HD7100 projector for a number of years now. It's almost the perfect projector for my needs. Unfortunately, it's 720p, and I really need to move to 1080p with the arrival of the Playstation 4 and Xbox One gaming systems this November. 720p just isn't good enough anymore. If it was just a matter of getting a good 1080p projector, I wouldn't have to worry about anything. Unfortunately, I have more complicated needs.

I have a 2:35.1 type cinemawide screen. I also have a normal 16:9 screen (about 126 inches diagonal). When I watch widescreen movies that are in the 2:35.1 format, I use the poor man's zoom trick to zoom out the black bars, onto my all black background, that surrounds my screen area. The black bars basically disappear from view, leaving a very impressive 2:35.1 image that stretches across the super wide screen. The Optoma HD7100 has plenty of horizontal and vertical lens shift, to allow the poor man's zoom trick to work without any problems. There are a number of projectors out right now that have some limited lens shift, but the way I understand it, it may, or may not have quite enough of it to properly do PMZT.

What I'm looking for in a projector:

1. Needs to have enough horizontal and vertical shift so that I can do my Poor Man's Zoom trick.

2. Needs to have an offset that is low ceiling friendly. This seems to be one of the biggest issues I run into. I find tons of projectors that would be absolutely awesome for people with 10 foot ceilings. My ceiling is 8 feet 2 inches, and I don't want my screen to be super low to the ground ( have to ceiling mount). My current HD7100 doesn't have any offset, so I have to use a telescoping pole thing, to lower it enough to have the screen in the right position. I used to own a Mitsubishi HD1000u, and that one had a good offset for my room. I was able to ceiling mount it pretty flush, and have the screen high enough up off the floor. I should look it up to see what the precise offset was on that model.

3. DLP Strongly preferred. - I've owned about 4 different projectors in the last 12 years. All of them have been DLP. I'm used to that DLP look. I know that LCD has improved by leaps and bounds, but I'm still a DLP guy...

4. Long Throw preferred - I'd really love a long throw projector, but they don't seem to make them anymore. Everything is short throw. It leaves the projector right over my head, so I can hear it running. My old Mitsubishi HD1000u back in the day was the perfect long throw projector for my room.

5. 1.5 Zoom strongly preferred - To properly do PMZT you need a lot of zoom. You actually need 1.33 or more zoom, but that requires perfect placement. A projector with 1.5 zoom would provide greater placement flexibility.

6. 3D I can take or leave - 3D seems to be a faze that kinda died, and I don't mind watching 3D Blu Ray movies every now and then ( I have a 3D plasma), but it's not a make or break feature for me. I wouldn't mind it being included (why not ?), but if there is a certain projector that has no 3D whatsoever, but completely fits my bill in every other aspect, then fine, forget 3D.

7. Budget is preferably under $1600 out the door - I might be able to go as high as 2 grand out the door, but that would be the absolute maximum.

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
I answered to your other post and you explained it better here. I think the only projectors that might be in that price range and have those capabilities are the Panasonics and the JVC's. To get into that price range these are B stock or refurbed. I have seen the Optoma HD8200 around close to that price if you can find one as they are discontinued. If you could swing $2500 a refurbed Optoma HD8300 might work as well if you prefer DLP. As long as you don't want 3d I would look in the above $3000 range projectors and find an older leftover, used or refurbed high end projector

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekbones  /t/1491966/im-looking-for-an-upgrad...-to-find-one-that-fits-the-bill#post_23767833

I think the only projectors that might be in that price range and have those capabilities are the Panasonics and the JVC's.

which particular models of Panasonic and JVC should I be looking at ?

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
The Panasonic AE4000u has power Focus, zoom and lens shift with mem for different aspect screens, they are hard to find but there is a used one on EBAY for $1300+ and it is LCD. I believe most of the JVC RS series have the same power options and are LCOS. For a very close replacement for what you have 1080p,DC3 DLP manual lens shift brand new leftover stock for $1600+ is the optoma HD8200 a $5000msrp projector

1 - 4 of 4 Posts