AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like the title says, I want a system that I can download movies from Netflix. I don't want gaming capability. I don't care about DVR or tuner capabilities. I already have HD satellite dvr. I do want the ability to add one of the Blue Ray players down the road once the movies come down in price and I want at least 720p resolution. Music storage would be a bonus as well but not necessary.

I will run this to my Yamaha 6090

I've never built one of these and I am open to suggestions but realize I am limited on budget.

Could I take an older HP desktop (I have one I don't use after getting my laptop)and add a good video and sound card to do this with?

I tried going through the sticky thread at the top but it might as well have been written in Greek.

Thank You all

Rick

·
Registered
514 Posts
What are the specs of your old desktop?

If it meets the following it should work

* Windows XP with Service Pack 2 or higher, or Windows Vista

* Internet Explorer version 6 or higher

* Windows Media Player version 11 (DRM version 5145) or later

* An active broadband connection to the Internet

* 1.0 GHz processor

* 512 MB RAM

* 3 GB free hard disk drive space

If you are going stereo than you don't need a new sound card.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a full 5.1 so I want to have support for DD/DTS.

As far as the specs go I have everything on the list except upgrading to IE6 and WMP 11 but that should be no problem.

Here are the specs of my desktop if I recall correctly.

2.66ghz AMD processor

1 gig ram

Will have 20 gig freed up on HDD after I reformat Also have a 500 gig external HDD that could be used.

·
Registered
5,058 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by remodeler /forum/post/15422185

I have a full 5.1 so I want to have support for DD/DTS.

As far as the specs go I have everything on the list except upgrading to IE6 and WMP 11 but that should be no problem.

Here are the specs of my desktop if I recall correctly.

2.66ghz AMD processor

1 gig ram

Will have 20 gig freed up on HDD after I reformat Also have a 500 gig external HDD that could be used.

Should be fine for netflix and dvd playback. That processor is going to really struggle with Blu-Ray or anything else HD though. You are going to need a video card that does Hardware Acceleration for Blu_Ray

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm not as concerned about blu or dvds at this point. The whole point is to download Netflix movies everything else is covered.

Here is what I am wanting,

Capability to download from netflix.

Remote ability( I have a Harmony) will use a wireless mouse if it's cheaper to do that.

5.1 audio

Support for HDMI

Storage for music files.(only if possible not necessary)

·
Registered
8,163 Posts
Seriously, if you already have the computer (and a NetFlix account), go to windows update and get IE7 and WMP11 then head over to Netflix and try it out. The first time you do it you have to let them install a couple of widgets for playback, but after it is pretty simple and straightforward.

That is the best way for you to see what it is about and if your hardware makes you happy with the experience. It will probably answer more of your questions than we can too.

-Suntan

·
Registered
53 Posts
How about the Netflix Ruku device? Purchase directly from Netflix for $99 and can download both SD and now HD movies and TV shows you have added to your "watch instantly" Netflix queue. They are adding what can be watched instantly everyday and the current list is extensive. At some point I think this will replace the in-the-mail physical disc business model completely. Just a thought.

·
Registered
8,163 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fl_dba /forum/post/15423460

At some point I think this will replace the in-the-mail physical disc business model completely. Just a thought.

At some point...but not anytime soon. i know my DSl connection would start to smoke if I tried to get a Blu Ray video to squeeze down it. On demand movies are pretty good for what they are, but they are not ready to replace high bitrate eye candy anytime soon. I certainly wouldn't want to fire up the 8' wide projectior in the basement and watch "The Dark Knight" for the first time and have to settle for on demand quality.

Also, I know a lot of people in rural areas that still use dail up, yet they have netflix accounts. Those customers would be lost completely.

-Suntan

·
Registered
162 Posts
If you're streaming Netflix through your computer, how do you get the HD content versions? Is it just dependent on whatever your connection is? Does it auto give you highest bitrate possible, or is there an option somewhere you have to click to get the HD stuff? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If I just download to my current computer I will not have 5.1 audio It won't be anything close to HD quality. The only audio output is a 1/8th" plug on the back. So what can I do to make my computer do these things or do I start from scratch and build a system.

·
Registered
8,163 Posts
I didn't say that's the *only* thing you should do. But if you already have a netflix account, you can play around with video on demand in about 5 minutes of fidgeting. You can at least see what it's about.

As for audio settings, I don't know what your setup is. You can always buy a new soundcard. You can get a $20 USB TBAAM that supports optical spdif out to a receiver.

-Suntan

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.