AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Pioneer Elite Vsx-23 thx that I am about to dump because although it does an awesome job for movies, I really dislike it for 2 channel listening. I am seriously at wits end. I am running an Emotiva Xpa-5 amp & a Pioneer bpd-05fd for blurays. Upon purchase I did the whole mcacc set-up. I havent touched the more advanced settings like the e.q. etc. I would appreciate you guys chiming in on what I may be doing wrong. The sound is okay, but I know it can be better. Also please include what you set your Pioneer avr to when listening in 2 channel. Please be specific. F.Y.I- I set mine to "pure direct" mode. I also set it on "stereo" mode sometimes, but it seems really bright on that setting. On "stereo" mode I blew out the crossover & tweeter on my Polk Audio lsi15 with the volume at -28dbs!! Thats not even loud! What the heck! Guys help!

·
Registered
625 Posts
We need more info: room size, what speakers, what crossover settings did the Pioneer set up, etc.

I've had the 94 for 5 years and the 23 for 3 years now. So I'm pretty well versed on them. I'm at my wits end with my new Onklyo 809, but that's another story. I LOVE my Pioneers and the ease of setup.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyvaz /forum/post/20854707

We need more info: room size, what speakers, what crossover settings did the Pioneer set up, etc.

I've had the 94 for 5 years and the 23 for 3 years now. So I'm pretty well versed on them. I'm at my wits end with my new Onklyo 809, but that's another story. I LOVE my Pioneers and the ease of setup.

Thanks. Room is 15 wide by 22 long. Pretty close to square shaped I guess. Running polk audio lsi15's for 2-channel. As for the xover settings, theyre all at 0db on all.

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
"Pure Direct" eliminates all room processing/correction. I would use "stereo" or "direct". If you do not care for the EQ in two-channel, go into the MCACC memories, copy the current to a new position, then tweak to create a custom setting for the way you like it.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 /forum/post/20855008

"Pure Direct" eliminates all room processing/correction. I would use "stereo" or "direct". If you do not care for the EQ in two-channel, go into the MCACC memories, copy the current to a new position, then tweak to create a custom setting for the way you like it.

Good suggestions.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 /forum/post/20855008

Unless I am listening to a SACD or DVD-Audio multi-channel disc, I use "stereo" for all music. I have "large" full range speakers and I set the subwoofer to "plus" on the setup. I've tried the 7 channel surround modes for stereo CDs and the music is just not the same.

Fred

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Guys if I wanna use a dedicated pre-amp like the Emotiva usp-1, how would I incorporate it into the set-up? For example, does my avr connect to the other pre, and then where do the outputs of the new pre-amp go? The emo website states that it works with your currsent avr.

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
I seriously doubt you will gain (hear) any benefit, but if you want to do it the ourpur can go into any unused analog input of your AVR.

·
Registered
730 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelsfann02 /forum/post/0

I have a Pioneer Elite Vsx-23 thx that I am about to dump because although it does an awesome job for movies, I really dislike it for 2 channel listening. I am seriously at wits end. I am running an Emotiva Xpa-5 amp & a Pioneer bpd-05fd for blurays. Upon purchase I did the whole mcacc set-up. I havent touched the more advanced settings like the e.q. etc. I would appreciate you guys chiming in on what I may be doing wrong.

Nothing wrong with your ears - it is weak in stereo - some thing missing. What I have found is that the best mode to listen to music on the Pioneer is not stereo or pure direct but rather the "front surround" mode which creates a sound field using the Center plus left & right speakers.

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
I do not know about the VSX-23, but my SC-27 samples the analog inputs to apply MCACC so the analog inputs might not help (or hurt). IME, room correction outweighs just about everything else sonically (in terms of what the AVR does).

Mine sounds fine in stereo, so I am wondering about bass management... I use full-range mains with subs in parallel (not using the sub output) so bass management is essentially the same stereo or movies (all bass goes to the L/R speakers). Direct may lose the bass for you...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.