AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sorry to bother everyone, but I'm trying to avoid making a mistake, but it's getting hard not to do. A while back we had some discussions about DVD-A and SACD and IEEE1394 and so-forth.

Currently, I don't have either a SACD or DVD-A machine, but I want both. I know that several exist with analogue connections. In a perfect world, I want a digital connection and the corresponding processor to accept these connections, but things are moving slowly. But how slowly?

So my questions are:

If one were to buy a univeral machine right now, is something like the Pioneer DV-45a a decent choice?

When will this insane logjam end so I can have my cake and pie and eat both of them (digitally of course)

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
The Pioneer DV-47Ai player and VSX-49TXi receiver with

1394 are here now. The 1394 interface uses standard 1394

protocols, so you will be able to mix and match these

components with other 1394 players/receivers someday.

Ron

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
I'm in the same boat, frustrated and hoping for the issues to be resolved already. I want SACD and to a lesser extent, DVD-A, and I'd love a single digital connection to my Lexicon processor which is theoretically upgradeable. It's been difficult not to buy an SACD player.

I'm beginning to wonder whether waiting for a digital connection is the answer. Partly this is uncertainty about the Lexicon -- will it decode DSD and DVD-A; how much will this cost, etc. It may be that if one is going to keep their receiver or processor, and it has analog inputs, that using the analog out of a universal player is the way to go. I believe the Pioneer combo converts the DSD signal to PCM, which has to negate some of the benefits of SACD. The point is that DSD is a much better way to digitize than PCM, although the DVD-A camp would disagree. I know that Mark Levinson believes strongly that DSD is superior; something about PCM sucks the life out of music. With his background, this seems an opinion worth considering. On another note, I think my MC12 might digitize the multichannel analog inputs using PCM to employ its bass management -- this would mean I'd definitely want a player that had adequate bass management not in the PCM realm.

No overall point here, just sympathizing with the frustration. It's all wrapped up in money issues and the consumer comes last.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.