AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just did an impulse buy and purchased speakers from AV123 during their summer sale. The list includes:

Front: x-mtm encore Tower

Rear: x-ls encore Monitor

Center: x-cs encore Center

x-sub Subwoofer

(all in Moho Satin)

Very little research was done as I went off of what forum members commented on, like I said...impulse buy. So now I'm looking for a receiver and being a naive noob I'm lost when I read everyone's "Official Threads" on the many AVRs available. So looking for a suggestion. Here are some parameters.

1)$600 or less

2)New or Used

3)controlled by my Monster 300 remote

4)2 maybe 3 zone capable

5)3 maybe 4 HDMI inputs

6)Ipod dock

7) hooked to:

A)upstairs Vizio LCD

- Sony DVD player

B)Basement Plasma (TBD)

-Toshiba HD DVD (impulse buy that I should have waited on)

-Direct TV HD DVR

-40GB PS3 (next on purchase list)

-The AV123 speakers

C)Outdoor patio speakers

·
Registered
720 Posts
I would recommend the Onkyo 606 of the Harman Kardon 254, both are within your limits as far as price, have 3-4 HDMI as well as multizone capable. IPOD docks are sold separately for both units for $60-$100 but the key is that they both decode DTS-HD and Dolby True-HD as well as upconvert to 720p (Onkyo 606) or 1080p (HK 254). Good luck on your decision.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Excellent, thanks for the reply. Since I'm not running enough speakers to utilize the 7.1 option, is there a 5.1 alternative with similar characteristics?

·
Registered
327 Posts
Not really. Almost all receivers that are sold are 7.1 capable. You can still use the receiver in a 5.1 configuration.

-- jaydillyo

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
You don't "waste" much money on the addtl two channels. The power supply seems to be the expensive part, and all the amps share the power supply.

The addtl. two channels don't seem to add much to the cost.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Interesting. Did not know this. I'll look into it. Guess these two are winners as no one else seems to be chiming in regarding their opinion on other units.

·
Registered
113 Posts
You may also want to check out the Pioneer VSX-1018; has all the specs you want although it does MSRP for 600. All the receivers listed are good for your price range. You may just dig into each one a little bit and find out which matches your wants the best....

·
Registered
403 Posts
For a few bucks more - the new Denon 1909. It will do 5.1 + powered speaker outputs for 2nd source (or 7.1). It also features the new Audyssey Dynamic Volume and Dynamic EQ.

They are starting to trickle in. Amazon has them on pre-order for $649 - free shipping.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Miguels. I'm right there with you. I have the 254, but I got it for $380. At list price... not so sure I'd have jumped.

·
Registered
247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Bob /forum/post/14290160

So I just did an impulse buy and purchased speakers from AV123 during their summer sale. The list includes:

Front: x-mtm encore Tower

Rear: x-ls encore Monitor

Center: x-cs encore Center

x-sub Subwoofer

(all in Moho Satin)

Very little research was done as I went off of what forum members commented on, like I said...impulse buy. So now I'm looking for a receiver and being a naive noob I'm lost when I read everyone's "Official Threads" on the many AVRs available. So looking for a suggestion. Here are some parameters.

1)$600 or less

2)New or Used

3)controlled by my Monster 300 remote

4)2 maybe 3 zone capable

5)3 maybe 4 HDMI inputs

6)Ipod dock

7) hooked to:

A)upstairs Vizio LCD

- Sony DVD player

B)Basement Plasma (TBD)

-Toshiba HD DVD (impulse buy that I should have waited on)

-Direct TV HD DVR

-40GB PS3 (next on purchase list)

-The AV123 speakers

C)Outdoor patio speakers

Bob -

For the upstairs is sounds as though you are going to use the Vizio speakers, correct? If so, you won't need a third zone since zones are for audio. It makes since that you would co-locate the DVD with the LCD since you don't want to run downstairs to throw in a DVD. Do you intend to route DVR and PS3 content to the LCD upstairs?

Since you are running 5.1, most AVR's allow you to use the other two channels for a powered second zone - in this case your patio speakers.

I had previously recommended the 606 to you in another thread. I see that someone recommended the Pioneer 1018. I had the 1015 and sold it because you couldn't select the A-B speaker configuration from the remote - I had to go inside to select the patio speakers. Hopefully the Pio engineers woke up on that issue and the 1018 is OK.

Good luck

1 - 12 of 12 Posts