AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I'm kinda new here :p

Anyway I have 5.1 Sony sound system. I'm not too sure what kind it is exactly but I know the model starts with dw. It's pretty much getting outdated. It's not as loud as it was a few years back. (that's either the system or my ears :p)

Anyway what I really want is a nice pair of bookshelf speakers that pack a real punch. I really don't want the clutter of that receiver and all those wires running everywhere anymore. I'm looking for a simple two channel system that I can use with my two computers. Kinda like what they use in studios?

Idk I just need some help.

Basically will I find a 2 channel system that packs a punch like my 5.1?

How do two channel systems work? Is there an amp? A receiver?

Thanks guys sorry for my long confusing post of theres anything that needs to be clarified let me know and I'd be more than happy to answer.

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
Sounds like you are after studio monitors. Check out KRK, Behringer, or Alesis, to name a few.

How much are you willing to spend? Most systems with 'punch' use subwoofers, so keep that in mind. I think you should look into stereo receivers with studio monitors, as many stereo receivers can handle 4 ohm speakers, unlike their 5.1 counterparts. It also keep clutter to a minimum, and you pay more for stuff you will be using rather than a lot of surround sound features you will never use. My common recommendation for this type of setup is the Harman/Kardon 3490 stereo receiver, which has a nice beefy amp section and can handle both optical and RCA digital connections, something you'll want for connecting to two computers. For speakers check out the Behringer 2031p studio monitors, they are inexpensive but very highly regarded among audio enthusiasts. They are somewhat large though, they need to be to have decent bass capability. This HK 3490/ Behringer 2031p setup would cost you just less than 500 if you look around.

Studios would use a mixing board, a pre-amp, and seperate amplifier, but I think you want to avoid all that wire clutter and just use a stereo receiver with digital inputs. It'll will keep things a lot simpler, and you won't be suffering any loss in sound quality.

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
ap1 has a great idea for avoiding the need for a big receiver, honestly his idea is probably better. If there is a Guitar Center, or any kind of pro audio store around you, drop by and see what's available. Today might be a good day to do that with all the promotions going on.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts