AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guy's we're moving this week and we'll be loading a UHaul on Wednesday evening and unloading Friday afternoon. The total trip length is about 40 miles and the truck will be parked much of the time at my inlaws where we'll spend a couple nights.

The question is should I just set the tv on the floor of the Uhaul? Will the base support the set? Any thoughts/tips/suggestions for keeping the screen from being damaged or the set from tipping? Or is the base sturdy enough I dont have to worry about tipping?

It's a 5080HD btw.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6SpeedTA95 /forum/post/14339422

Guy's we're moving this week and we'll be loading a UHaul on Wednesday evening and unloading Friday afternoon. The total trip length is about 40 miles and the truck will be parked much of the time at my inlaws where we'll spend a couple nights.

The question is should I just set the tv on the floor of the Uhaul? Will the base support the set? Any thoughts/tips/suggestions for keeping the screen from being damaged or the set from tipping? Or is the base sturdy enough I dont have to worry about tipping?

It's a 5080HD btw.

Keep it upright.

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
always a chance of it tipping over in a truck. at least strap it to the side. and use some blankets or bubble wrap. drive slow......good luck.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dssturbo1 /forum/post/14339674

always a chance of it tipping over in a truck. at least strap it to the side. and use some blankets or bubble wrap. drive slow......good luck.

I figured that was the common sense.
But I def. agree.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dssturbo1 /forum/post/14339674

I was thinking about trying to haul it down seperately in my father in laws camper covered pickup as opposed to the UHaul but I supposed we can secure it in the uhaul.

·
Banned
4,406 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6SpeedTA95 /forum/post/14339823

I was thinking about trying to haul it down seperately in my father in laws camper covered pickup as opposed to the UHaul but I supposed we can secure it in the uhaul.

Should be ok just strap it as mentioned

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
I used bubble wrap. Expensive, but cheaper than a new TV. And they always suggest you ship plasma TVs upright.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
If you are too worried about damaging your Kuro you can sell it to me (at a highly discounted price of course) and just have a new one shipped to your new place

·
Banned
98 Posts
I would worry more about other things hitting it even if its secured and wrapped. It would be a shame if a 10 dollar frying pan went Rambo and broke your panel. If you dont have your box I would take it in a seperate car.

·
Banned
4,406 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vili /forum/post/14340401

If you are too worried about damaging your Kuro you can sell it to me (at a highly discounted price of course) and just have a new one shipped to your new place

That is another solution

·
Vendor
29,825 Posts
I would suggest getting an suv or van and making a seperate trip, then you can hold it the whole way. ( Only way to be sure )

Maybe stop in your best buy or call to see if they have any 50" plasma boxes you can have.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Use a piece of 3/4" plywood in front if you don't have a flat wall, and wrap it in a few moving blankets. Strap it tightly and it MUST be vertical or you risk damaging the extremely delicate electrodes on the glass.

·
Registered
767 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6SpeedTA95 /forum/post/14339422

Physical damage you can protect it with all the necessary bubble warp, blanket, ... etc. Standing it upright is very important as well.

Also, don't forget about heat especially when the UHaul is parked under the scorching sun. It could get really hot inside an unventilated car. Be careful.

1+ on the suggestion for a separate SUV/VAN.

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
I would find another solution because u-haul trucks are not known to have the best suspensions. You could wrap it tight but hit some pot holes or what ever and I would be concerned about the general stress on the panel. Find a friend with a nice oversized truck with the cab or suv and throw them some gas money and beers and be done with it

·
Registered
9 Posts
This seems like the place to ask this question, but why exactly are plasma's not supposed to be shipped horizontally?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts