AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm very new to the CRT FP world. I'm considering buying one, but am still working out what to buy and how much for. I'm probably still very far away from buying the projector, and was wondering if one of you would be so kind as to answer a couple of my questions?

Firstly, I wanted to purchase a scaler and was wondering where I would look to find the cheapest DVDO iScan HD scalers. So far, I've only found them on Ebay (lowest at approximately $1000 CDN).

Secondly, I was wondering if any owners of the Electrohome Marquee 8500 could tell me its native resolution. I've seen it advertised as 1700x1200. This makes no sense to me, shouldn't it be 1600x1200 in order for it to be 4:3? Have I overlooked something? Are CRTs somehow different?

I was also wondering if the DVDO-HD had the ability to scan to this high resolution. It is advertised to be able to scan for 480p-1080p and was wondering if 1700/1600x1200 was included in this.... (as 1900 is greater than 1700/1600 but 1200 is greater than 1080)

Another question I wanted to ask is if I'm getting a good deal on this Marquee 8500. I'm picking it up in perfect working condition for approx. $1000 CDN, however, the tubes are completely shot and need to be replaced.

O, and I was looking to purchase the tubes off Curt Palme. I am told he is a frequenter here, and was wondering if he is reputable.

Thank you for taking the time to read and possibly respond to my thread!

EDIT: O, I was also wondering if component cables are the same as RGBHV or are these two different things entirely?

·
Registered
5,355 Posts
I'll give you a couple quick things, but I would suggest reading the CRT primer on Curt's web site ( www.curtpalme.com ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by njhajj
Secondly, I was wondering if any owners of the Electrohome Marquee 8500 could tell me its native resolution. I've seen it advertised as 1700x1200. This makes no sense to me, shouldn't it be 1600x1200 in order for it to be 4:3? Have I overlooked something? Are CRTs somehow different?
CRTs have no native resolution. They display whatever resolution they are fed up to the limits of their bandwidth, scanning frequencies, and resolving capabilities. Further, you can change the raster shape on the CRT face to have an aspect ratio to match your screen (4:3 or 16:9 or actually just about anything up to a bit above 4:3).

If you want to run a 16:9 screen, you can do up to about 720p-800p (depending upon PJ) and 1080i with most 8" PJs (what the 8500 is).

Quote:
Another question I wanted to ask is if I'm getting a good deal on this Marquee 8500. I'm picking it up in perfect working condition for approx. $1000 CDN, however, the tubes are completely shot and need to be replaced.
I definatly would NOT consider $850 US a good deal for one with shot tubes.

Quote:
O, and I was looking to purchase the tubes off Curt Palme. I am told he is a frequenter here, and was wondering if he is reputable.
Yes.

Quote:
EDIT: O, I was also wondering if component cables are the same as RGBHV or are these two different things entirely?
Completely different.

Dave

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for that information (especially the reference to the CRT faq of Curts, I needed something like that very badly!). I just had one other question. As the 8500s max resolution is 1700x1200, can it not display 1080i? As 1080i is something along the lines of 1920x1080, is 1080i out of its range?

·
Registered
5,355 Posts
It can do 1080i.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Person99
If you want to run a 16:9 screen, you can do up to about 720p-800p (depending upon PJ) and 1080i with most 8" PJs (what the 8500 is).
Dave

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
it can sync on to 1600 X 1200, but it can't actually resolve that rez. There isn't enough room to physically paint 1200 vertical lines on an 8" tube. The lines will overlap and actually make the picture softer. I run 1440 X 960 @60Hz on mine, and I think it looks very good. It takes a very good yoke alignment to run that high, most people run 1280 X 720 on a 8" machine. If you're only watching DVD get a Momitsu DVD player and forget the scaler.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm also going to be watching HDTV on the thing, so I think I should go with the scaler, but if there is another option that is cheaper, I'd be glad to here it!

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kal
To watch HDTV you don't need a scaler, since you don't need to 'scale' anything. You just feed the projector 1080i directly.
http://www.curtpalme.com/CRTPrimer.htm

Kal
yeah you can feed the PJ direct if it's got a component in card, Electrohomes don't offer this and I think it's an option on most other CRTs.

·
Registered
5,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by draganm
yeah you can feed the PJ direct if it's got a component in card, Electrohomes don't offer this and I think it's an option on most other CRTs.
I'm assuming Kal meant via transcoder (i.e. a scaler is not necessary).

Dave

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
You will need a transcoder to convert component to RGBHV unless your HD recieving device outputs RGBHV. Many people on this forum us computers to double as their scaler, DVD player and their HDTV tuner. A simple breakout cable is needed to feed the projector.

Walt

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspec2
You will need a transcoder to convert component to RGBHV unless your HD recieving device outputs RGBHV. Many people on this forum us computers to double as their scaler, DVD player and their HDTV tuner. A simple breakout cable is needed to feed the projector.

Walt
Really, this seems like a much cheaper solution than buying a scaler! Is there some site on the net that explains how you hook it up and what is needed?

·
Registered
804 Posts
NJHAJJ,

I am also very new to this realm, however experienced in other areas, after getting some info, especially from Curt I learned fairly quickly on what you need, and what is good. So by no means am I an expert because I am not! my god am i not! The route I plan to be going is actually fairly similar to yours, it wont be soon because my fiancee and I will be buying our house next summer which means Ill be able to setup the basement around that time. But what I plan to do is similar to this diagram on Curt's primer. Using a receiver with component switching, going to be connected to an HTPC, dvd player, and hidef cable box. Of course 7.1(plans on Mirage but thats beside the point) sound the whole deal. I was originally and still thinking of the Electrohome Marquee 8500, or 9500 CRT FP. Using the switcher from the receiver makes life a bit easy, use the component out from the receiver to a transcoder that way you get the RGBHV breakout from there run that cable to the projector, now the projector uses bnc connectors, so of course make sure you have the right fittings, I plan on making my own, but im sure you can buy them at a decent price.

And by all means guys if Im wrong with any of my information please call me an idiot and more importantly correct me.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
SSJ, Person Guy, aspec, draganm, kal and any others helping me out on this thread, I'd just like to show my appreciation. Its very re-assuring to know that there are plenty of well educated good natured people willing to lend a helping hand when venturing into an older technology!

SSJ's setup seems to be a smart idea, and was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of a good quality transcoder. Again, thanks a bunch to all of you so willing to help an ignorant newbie!

·
Registered
18,503 Posts
Answering your email to me now..:)

·
Registered
804 Posts
Here are a couple transcoders by Petr

When I get my setup I'll probably end up with the HDC2.1 However of course if I run into something more worthwhile I would switch my mind.

Curt did you get my PM btw, just curious.

·
Premium Member
16,946 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJLaletas
what I plan to do is similar to this diagram on Curt's primer. Using a receiver with component switching, going to be connected to an HTPC, dvd player, and hidef cable box. Of course 7.1(plans on Mirage but thats beside the point) sound the whole deal. I was originally and still thinking of the Electrohome Marquee 8500, or 9500 CRT FP. Using the switcher from the receiver makes life a bit easy, use the component out from the receiver to a transcoder that way you get the RGBHV breakout from there run that cable to the projector
That was my intended approach when I set up my receiver to switch multiple sources into my transcoder, but one thing to be prepared for...

not all receivers can handle the high bandwidth of HD video sources.

I have the Pioneer THX 1014 receiver. I love it. It's highly recommended in the AVS receivers forum. But it can't switch HD... I get dropouts and sync glitches. But this year's model, the Pioneer 1015, increased the bandwidth and also added a 3rd component input.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
njhajj

I don't have a switcher. I have a Marquee 8500 and have 2 input cards. The HTPC feeds one card that has orbitting. The other input is fed from my cable companies HD cable box through a Dtronics DVI to RGBHV box. My HTPC has a MyHD HiDef tuner card with an antenna. I use the computer like a HiDef Tivo.

You can find all kinds of good information here on the "Home Theater Computer Forum".

Clarence....Don't you ever sleep?

Walt

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I was wondering one other thing, can you switch between 4:3 and 16:9 aspect ratios without much trouble, or do you have to choose one and stick with it? (or face making major adjustments each time)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.