Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi :)

I've read over many many topics here, and I'm still a little confused. I'm new to the scene. I'm planning on buying a Plasma screen soon, but for price, I keep looking at ED's. I've read people saying how their HD-TV looks just as good on the ED's, and whatnot. I didn't know they could even accept it, without 1080i.

If I get an ED tv (thinking Panny or Zenith. The Z was on sale at best buy for 3k), I can get HD channels (with box/whatever from cable company) and get a better picture than a normal station?

Any other FAQ's around too, telling me maybe why to lean tword ED (price, not that big of diff) around?

Thank you very much!

·
Registered
438 Posts
This is covered in many threads linked in the Plasma tv faq permanently present at the top of this forum.

Additionally, there are several active posts even as of today discussing this topic. (over, and over, and over again!)

- pink

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi. Yes I'm doing my bes to read all of that.

The only thing I can not seem to understand I guess is TV shows. Will an HD-TV channel look just as good on HDTV set as it does on ED? (I didn't even know an ED could show it, like a normal old tv or something)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Answers in a nutshell:

Most people cannot tell the difference between a HDTV and a EDTV beyond 8 feet viewing difference.

On a EDTV, SD viewing will be very good to somewhat yucky depending on channel/cable feed/satellite feed.

DVDs will look outstanding.

HD on an EDTV (like HBO HD) will be WOW!

And a live feed HD (such as an ESPN HD sporting event) will literally knock your socks off.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jonnydanger
What about an EDTV for someone who is looking for a 50 inch plasma display? What companies do I look at for this?

Jonnydanger,

All 50" Plasma displays are HD.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The only diff I can mainly see is the 4000:1 (vs 3000) and about 300 bucks.

Does the consumer have like normal component inputs and the ind. doesn't? What's the main diff's? I can't tell much.

I love this board though, I'm learning a lot. :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you very much.

I hope I can afford a plasma by Dec.

Edit:

What do you think about the Zenith 42 inch PW2W24B? I saw it at best buy for $2,999

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok, thanks.

I went to best buy today to check some out. CCity too.

I think I like the panny the best, except best buy and CCity want $4300 for it, while most websites you can get it for around 3k. Anyone know of a B&M store that has it for that price or so?

I saw the Akai at CCity, it looked pretty good, but I have no idea about that. Nice price at $2800 too

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Gamer
Ok, thanks.

I saw the Akai at CCity, it looked pretty good, but I have no idea about that. Nice price at $2800 too
Get lots of info about Akai Plasmas (Rebadged Samsung) on this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...highlight=akai

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks.

I read over that earlier today. It seems to vary a lot. Would you reccoment it?

If I could get the panny for 3k at a B&M, and not online, I'd rather go with that.

This is so hard! :D I hope to have one by Dec

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I thought so ;)

But I can't find that one B&M for a good price! Ug! this is driving me insane. I had to fill up the gas tank this week I went looking so much :eek:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.