AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Banned
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking into buying the following model. Seeing I already have wiring running threw my house I mind as well use it.

http://www.summitsource.com/omni-dir...22-p-4678.html

It seems to be a decent antenna and can utilize the amplification of my receiver which isn't to bad a option.

My budget right now for a new antenna is between 50-75$ if I find something incredible i might do 80 or 90.

My goal is to reach a station that is exactly 59 miles north of me and 385 degrees higher or lower above see level than i am.

I would love to be able to find a antenna like the one above that has the same features as the "indoor mushroom" radioshack antenna but with also the following features.

- Telescoping (Automatically based on channel signal)

- FM trap

- And can double as a WiFi antenna. (VIA Coax - Fprot)

I have tried looking for a mushroom antenna like this one...

http://www.radioshack.com/pwr/produc...e-Control.html

......with a outdoor appeal but haven't found much.

I am open to any and all suggestions.

Like i said my goal is to reach a station that is 59 miles from me and has a elevation difference of about 400 degrees.

PS: I have a pretty decent strong ATSN receiver currently as well.

I will also post my stats from TVFool based on my current location soon.

· Registered
3,738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TONEMGUB /forum/post/15406628

My goal is to reach a station that is exactly 59 miles north of me and 385 degrees higher or lower above see level than i am.

You mean "feet" not "degrees", right? Is the station's digital signal on VHF or UHF?

Generally speaking, though, those small, cool-looking antennas don't do much good at 60 miles. You probably need one of those traditional ugly antennas with metal whiskers or fingers sticking out, and maybe a metal grid for a reflector depending on the design.

Quote:
I will also post my stats from TVPool based on my current location soon.

That will help a lot. Then we can see just what you're dealing with.

· Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,785 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozey45 /forum/post/15407416

Sounds like you need a real outdoor antenna for a station at that distance.

Indeed.

You need an outdoor directional antenna, either UHF or VHF/UHF, depending on the stations you are looking to receive.

Look at Antennas Direct (Terrestrial Digital) Winegard, Radio Shack, Channel Master, etc.

· Banned
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well it looks like the station I wanted is even further than i thought away from me by about 2 miles

In my search for more info i have run across this thing by cornet .

But i can't seem to find any ACTUAL info on how much db gain it has or anything like that.

http://www.cornetintl.com/et1m.html

I am also considering a XiumAir and just ripping down my old sat dish in its sted.

The search for a perfect antenna is getting worse and worse everyday.

I might just breakdown and buy a 150$ amplified omni with internal rotator/remote

for the love of god someone help me!

ps: ill post the tvfool data tomorrow first chance i get.

l8

· Registered
4,134 Posts
You can forget about omni at 60 miles. You need a high-end, outdoor, directional antenna like the ChannelMaster 4228HD or the aforementioned AntennasDirect 91XG. The 91XG may or may not be a good choice depending on what your local stations are doing come February, but the TVFool plots for now and post-transition will help with that.

· Banned
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah i figured omni was going to get me into trouble
:p

Well some good news for once tho, it seems like the station in question is going to be boosting there output come febuary but not by much.

Some more good news is that this ET-1M seems to but just what the doctor ordered.

Just wish i could find some more information on this sucker or something even better.

The American company that makes them is probably going to be open after 1 my time.

· Banned
1,575 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TONEMGUB /forum/post/15406628

I'm looking into buying the following model.

I will also post my stats from TVFool based on my current location soon.

Your approach is backwards.

I would not select an antenna and see if it works for you. I'd determine how much gain was needed and then figure out which antenna(s) provide that much gain. Start with the actual tvfool calculations.

· Banned
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tower Guy /forum/post/15412576

Your approach is backwards.

I would not select an antenna and see if it works for you. I'd determine how much gain was needed and then figure out which antenna(s) provide that much gain. Start with the actual tvfool calculations.

I said i was going to post them .

EDIT:

Anyways as you can see i'm in a decent spot if i can reach those outer markers i'd be golden.

This ET-1M thingy IS directional and has a built-in noise filter i'd like to somehow combine it with the OMNI i posted at the very top and somehow allow the omni to rotate on it's axis when the directional is in use but thats my own little wet dream i guess.

· Registered
690 Posts
If it's WZMY-DT you're looking for, it's probably not going to happen, and it certainly won't work with that ET1-M thing, which is a low-gain antenna with an amplifier of unknown quality. You're going to need a very high gain directional antenna (like the 91XG), and the nearby stations at 351 and 12 degrees will make use of a pre-amp impractical. And it still probably won't work.

· Banned
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Actually

That ET1-M thing IS a *high gain* outdoor antenna.

With 32-36db gain.

Honestly I don't like how the XG looks , it's a big Gordy monstrosity, And i don't want to put something that huge on my roof.

· Registered
2,744 Posts
Forget about amplifiers at your location. The locals are much too strong for that and you may have overload problems at the tuner, even w/o an amp. I agree with nybbler that if you are looking for WZMY, you are going to be wasting your time. Some areas only 15 miles from it have problems.

An omnidirectional antenna is also probably going to be problematic due to multipath reflections.

Something like a CM2016 may be all you need for Providence and Boston (except WZMY) and is quite a bit smaller. Getting stations in the gray, when you have very strong locals will be very difficult. I have enough problems from Mystic with a CM4228 with only 2 local stations which are more than 100 times weaker than what you are dealing with.

· Banned
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Falcon!

Isn't that what the settings for adjusting the gain intensity on stuff like the ET-1M are for ?

It seems the lowest gain on it is 32 and the high gain goes up to 36 thats not to to bad im my opinion. and then i could just use my indoor digital antenna i already have if i have overload

right!?

Here's the specs on a similar clone of the ET-1M

__

Gain: 32-36dB

Operation Frequency: 47-860MHz

Outputlmpedance: 75Ω

Standing Wave Ratio: ≤1.5

Operation Voltage: AC110V OR AC220V

Remotcontrolled Distance: ≥6m

__

It's also got rotators and remote which helps allot , i think anyways.

I just wish i could find something like this but much bigger so my landlord can at-least say its aesthetic enough not to kick my ass

· Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,785 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TONEMGUB /forum/post/15413210

Actually

With 32-36db gain.

Honestly I don't like how the XG looks , it's a big Gordy monstrosity, And i don't want to put something that huge on my roof.

If you want reliable OTA reception at your distance, you'll have to forget about size and looks as considerations.

You've been told repeatedly. Get a big directional outdoor antenna.

· Banned
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H /forum/post/15413897

If you want reliable OTA reception at your distance, you'll have to forget about size and looks as considerations.

You've been told repeatedly. Get a big directional outdoor antenna.

That's a rude talk/text. what the frig. Nice way to treat the new guy.

I didn't say anything rude to you.

My landlord is the problem here he doesn't want me putting anything obtrusive on the roof and you know what? i don't blame him.

Not to mention that we have very high winds here this winter where i am and there is a chance of it flying off the roof.

I called cornet the guy that answered said they are between 20-30bucks without shipping. standard flat rate to LA is about 16 bucks.

It's strange however greentek offers a very similar looking product in white.

I wonder if this isn't just a painted greentek model (rebrand).

· Registered
45,785 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TONEMGUB /forum/post/15414022

That's a rude talk/text. what the frig. Nice way to treat the new guy.

I didn't say anything rude to you.

You don't get it. No one is being rude to you. We're trying to help you not waste your time and money.

You didn't say anythng about your landlord until an hour ago.

Further, your topic title says 'holy grail'. You can bet an omni directional antenna is not the holy grail and most certanly will not work for you.

· Banned
1,575 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TONEMGUB /forum/post/15413210

Actually

With 32-36db gain.

You are being led into confusion between antenna gain and preamplifier gain.

You can't use any amplification where you are, that's right....zero, zilch, nada. Unplugging an internal amplifier or turning down the gain won't help.

Yet, the Boston signals are reasonably strong where you are. You won't need much antenna gain to receive them unless there are nearby objects that create ghosting that must be eliminated. Yet, the angle between Providence and Boston is about 80 degrees. I don't know of any antennas with a beamwidth that wide. You could try the Channel Master Stealth antenna.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.