AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a case board and CPU for my first ever HTPC.

I have a bunch of questions, but the one I'll ask here is:

What would the H3D PCI card do for me that a ATi 9000 and a MyHD card wouldn't?

Here's my current and planned configureation:

AMD Athalon XP 2700+

ASUS A7N8X motherboard

TruePower 330 watt power supply

Cheap desktop case (that I'll modify.)

Future:

DVD Drive

DVD Burner

VFD

HD Tuner card (I'm thinking MyHD, but that's a question for another thread)

Video card (I think the ATi 9000 Pro, but again another thread)

Bluetooth keyboard and mouse

Software:

Windows XP Professional

Software DVD player (don't know which yet)

MS Office

Monitor:

I'm thinking 55" HDTV

·
Registered
262 Posts
The H3D does video processing and scaling on analog sources beyond what can be accomplished with MyHD. However, H3D is a scaler only -- it neither displays nor records OTA HD signals.

IMO, these two cards are 2 different products altogether and aren't comparable.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Actually the H3D is not a scaler, it is a input device/capture card that handles deinterlacing and a couple other things. From there its your video card (ie ATI) that handles the scaling.

As for what it does vs the MyHD, as I do not have a MyHD card I can not really say. Albeit I can speculate, the H3D has superior deinterlacing on SD sources as it has DCDi by Faroudja, and I suspect the inputs on the H3D also exhibit less noise than the MyHD inputs (does the MyHD have component inputs? or just svideo? H3D has sdi/component/svideo/composite/bt656)

-pd

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Let me see if I understand what you're saying:

The H3d card will only take a signal coming in and deinterlace it, then send it on to my video card for scaling? For example, a component DVD signal plugged into it would be deinterlaced and this superior quality deinterlaced signal is then sent to the ATI card to be scaled.

So would I need to have an external DVD player to take advantage of it's processing power, or can I use the one in my HTPC?

I understand this is a high quality de interlacer, but are there any other uses for the card other than deinterlacing exterior signal input to it?

·
Registered
814 Posts
mrfatpants,

Correct. All the card basically does is clean analog capture (svid/component/composite) or digital capture via SDI (which is clean by default, or I think), and deinterlacing of external sources and then your video card scales it to whatever resolution you desire.

Yes, the H3D solution would require an external source of somekind, in your case for DVD playback a DVD player. Or some kind of decoder card that feeds back into the H3D via svideo or component 480i.

However, it will soon support the bt656 interface that is available on the card. What this means is that the H3D combined with the Sigma Xcard will provide an internal all-in-one box digital hardware decoding/scaling solution, with DCDi deinterlacing and PC/ATI scaling. (this vs running say a external SDI solution for digital or external component player for analog) All running inside one box, using the same drive as the software decoders etc.

The only downside to the Xcard solution is that it will provide SPDIF out through itself (not through your onboard sound or seperate soundcard). So if you want to run 5.1 analog out, you will require a soundcard with SPDIF in so that you can decode and send it out via analog.

-pd

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.