AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received my BenQ PB6100 two days ago & am VERY impressed.

I built a ceiling mount last night and am going to install it today. I'll post pics of it later. I went to Lowes and bought all the materials to construct it for under $35.00! It's made from aluminum plate, aluminum flat stock and stainless hardware. I'll also be flush mounting two gang boxes (power & video cables) behind the projector.

I did not have an S-video cable in the length that I needed, so I ordered a 50' cable on-line. I also ordered a Component adapter from Infocus, so I can have better PQ. The S-vid is for DirecTV & the Comp is for DVD. I am currently using 2 S-vid cables connected with a cable extender across the floor.

I am undecided thus far as to what type of screen I want (DIY). The choices are:

1) Parkland Plastics (not avail locally, so I'd have to order)

2) Blackout fabric (local store)

3) e-Bay seller who offers screen material (found via this forum)

I'm currently projecting on my white wall in my den.

I am amazed at the watch-ability during the day. I have a french door directly behind my sofa and my den opens into my dining room & kitchen, so I have a good bit of ambient light in the room. I did install curtains to cover the french doors and this improved the PQ immensely.

Absolutely NO rainbows! I saw the Infocus X1 at a friend of my sisters and I noticed them several times. A few deciding factors in my purchase decision included the high lumen rating of the BenQ (1500- PB6100 vs 1000- X1). 3x color wheel, auto sensing inputs & PIP. Not trying to bash the X1, Just my opinion!!!

The only negative thus far is the remote. I wish there was a direct button for aspect ratio. I don't like switching from a menu.

I'm still a beginner in FP, so feel free to make any suggestions. I just wanted to post that I am pleased with my purchase and hope that we can start a PB6100 owners thread to learn from one another. The X1 threads are extremely informative!

Anyone want to buy a Sony 35" TV? Ha! ;) It's now been relocated to one of the guest rooms.

Until later..

Sonicflood

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Excellent review Sonic! I'm demo'ing the X1 from infocus as we speak and my main concerns are low resolution, not bright enough image, cant play 480i on the VGA port, and of course RAINBOWS!!! (which did get better the more I watched).

So far it appears the 6100 will address most of those problems. Its 40% brighter, can play 480i or higher resolutions up to 1080i including progressive resolutions on the VGA port (this is very important because my HDTV cable box only outputs the HD channels in progressive, the SDTV channels are still 480i!!!) and definitely appears the step up to the 3x colour wheel reduces the rainbows for most people who have seen excessive rainbows on the X1.

That really only leaves the low resolution as a concern thats addressed because they are both 800x600 machines. Of course you can spend $600 bucks and get the 6200 which adds more lumens and 1024x768 native rez support.. but i'm trying to be as cheap as possible.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Just got mine Wednesday. I am definitely impressed. Let me explain where I am coming from.

I owned an Infocus LP240 several years ago before selling to get my Ebay treasure Barco Graphics CRT projector.

My thoughts so far. The Benq has an excellent picture and I have not seen any rainbows either. I could see them on the Infocus occasionally-when I looked down to grab something and then back at the screen usually. So the 3x wheel on the Benq must be doing its job well. That was a worry buying the Benq on word of mouth only.

The color saturation is better on the Benq also but I guess that is to be expected on newer technology.

I tried the Benq with HD programming and was impressed a SVGA device could look so good. The big difference between the Benq and the Barco Graphics is that the Benq doesn't have the resolution for objects in the distance to stay sharp. On the other hand, if I hadn't owned the Barco I probably wouldn't have known I was missing anything with the Benq-it is that good. I can't compare it to the X-1 or Z-1 as I have not seen them but as I said, I am impressed with the Benq.

Now I have a tough decision on whether to keep my Barco out or put it into storage til the day when I can have a totally dark environment.

Of course with the improvements in DLP each year, I may be able to retire it for good someday soon:)

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by sonicflood
The only negative thus far is the remote. I wish there was a direct button for aspect ratio. I don't like switching from a menu.
The PB7200's remote has a button to switch between 4:3 and 16:9. I haven't had a chance to borrow the 7200 remote from my father and see if it works with the 6100. My guess is that it will work, but I don't know for sure.

My original thought had been that if it works, to simply program into my Sony AV-3000 the button for switching aspect ratio. However, I have been unable to get the AV-3000 to learn any of the buttons on the PB6100's remote, so I would likely have the same problem on the 7200's.

Anyone successfully gotten a learning remote to learn the 6100's buttons?

Billy

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thanks Sonicflood for sharing your exeprience with the mount and the benq projector. i am a newbie and on the fence on what to get. Since my primary use is to use a tv,can you share your view,if the 6100 in the conditions you have now provide a satisfactory image as compared to the Sony tv that is now in a guest room. ARe they at least equal? Have you had a chance to view any HD programing? If so and noticeable difference then from STandard Tv. Regarding the mount would it be possible to list the actual supplies that went into the mount. The price is right and Im sure it is sturdy. Enjoy your new projector. Thanks,Also what is the approximate size of the image your projecting on the wall.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Tnedator
The PB7200's remote has a button to switch between 4:3 and 16:9. I haven't had a chance to borrow the 7200 remote from my father and see if it works with the 6100. My guess is that it will work, but I don't know for sure.

My original thought had been that if it works, to simply program into my Sony AV-3000 the button for switching aspect ratio. However, I have been unable to get the AV-3000 to learn any of the buttons on the PB6100's remote, so I would likely have the same problem on the 7200's.

Anyone successfully gotten a learning remote to learn the 6100's buttons?

Billy
I'd be interested in finding out the results of your test. I have a Kameleon & two One 4 All remotes that I'll test tomorrow & post the results.

Daekwan:

Trust me, you'll be most happy with the PB6100 over the X1 that you have right now, based upon your post!

I've had some family over tonight for grilling out & a movie and everyone is amazed! :) I started the show with my custom HT intro DVD that I bought from a fellow AVS Forum member several months ago. Very cool indeed.

I now need to decide what type of DIY screen to construct. My projector is exactly 14'-1" from the screen/wall. What brand/fabric # of blackout material is everyone using & where have you purchased it from? I'm inclined to try this 1st and also buy some screen material from the eBay seller too.

I'll be happy to answer any questions or perform tests if possible to assist others, so let me know!

Thanks for reading & for any advice on the screen.

Sonicflood

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I replaced a Sony RPTV (53") with my PB6100. We watch about 80% DirecTV and 20% DVD. Both my wife and I would rather watch DirecTV on the 6100 over the Sony any day. In fact, the Sony is now my Xbox machine in my office.

The only downside to the 6100 is that when the source is bad, it is magnified because of the size. However, I had the two side by side for a while, and whenever the picture was bad on the 6100, the same crap showed up on the 53" RPTV also, but since it was smaller it wasn't as noticeable if you weren't looking for it.

Billy

·
Banned
962 Posts
DAEKWAN: Are you viewing material through the vga port? I noticed a difference in the number of rainbows I see through it. When I used svideo, I saw them a lot more. Enough that I thought it was aweful. When I watch 480p through the vga port I hardly notice them anymore. It may be my brain tricking me, but worth a shot.

·
Registered
168 Posts
OK, so rainbows are minimized (compared to the X1) and the picture is brighter, but is the 6100 still able to maintain a good contrast?

Does the 6100 have better contrast than the X1?

Also for DVD material, is the image sharper than a RPTV or the X1?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I also received my 6100 last week. I'd been using a borrowed projector (a Toshiba DLP) and can't believe the difference: the toshiba wasn't designed for HT, but it cost ~$3000 a few years ago, and the 6100 is better than it in every possible way, but most importantly the actual image quality of video is wonderful. Oh, and it is VERY quiet in low power mode.

I have my projector sitting on top of the stereo cabinet, off to the side of our room, and am projecting on a light grey wall, in a room with lots of windows. Probably the worst possible viewing conditions (keystoned, with light hitting the wall during the day). My wife and I decided that spending about twice as much wasn't worth it to get a projector that does image shift, since we'll probably be able to simply replace the project in a year or two with one that does, for the same money as the 6100! (spend the same, get two projectors). Believe it or not, you actually don't notice the keystone distortion after a few minutes, something that all our visitors agree on (the human brain is a wonderful thing). We can't mount it on the ceiling (ceiling fan in the way).

Anyway, my question is regarding having the projector level. Since the projector is sitting about 4.5' off the floor (on top of the stereo cabinet), the bottom of the image is pretty high up on the wall, and has to be kept small to keep it off the ceiling. What I did with the toshiba was tilt it forward (by putting a block of wood under the back.). The Benq manual says you shouldn't do this or it will damage the bulb (you should keep it within 15 degrees of level). When I did, after a day, I turned it on and got a bulb error (bulb light came on) and the bulb did not come on. Turned it off, leveled it, and things worked again.

So, does anything know whats up? Can sitting it on an angle really hurt it? Or was this all random coincidence. We're talking about 20-25 degrees tilt or so, not anything terrible.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've posted a pic in my gallery of my DIY ceiling mount. I need to touch up the white paint on the ceiling plate as I scratched it a few times.

The threads on the projector are for a 4mm bolt.

I used the following (from Lowes):

2 pieces of 1/8" aluminum flat stock (comes in 3' length)

1 sheet of 1/8" aluminum plate (can't remember size it came in)

Stainless steel fasteners (from ACE Hardware):

#10/24 1" machine bolts

#10/24 1/2" pan head bolts (to attach ceiling plate to angle brackets)

#10/24 wing nuts

#10/24 flat washers

#10/24 lock nuts (has plastic lining to lock better)

1/2" nylon spacers (to raise the plate off of projector housing)

I bent the flat stock in a vise and lightly tapped with a mallet to get the 90 degree bends. The long flat stock pieces that connect the ceiling plate to projector plate are notched out on both ends. This allows travel on both ends to adjust for proper angle.

I may shorten the notched pieces as I really don't need to come down so far from my ceiling. They are currently 6" in length each. I may go for 3" or 4".

Next on the project list today:

-Remote control learning testing w/ Kameleon & One 4 All remotes.

-Installation of a gang box to accomodate the power and video cables.

I hope this helps someone out!

·
Registered
509 Posts
but be careful:) When I had the LP340, I attached two adjustable shelf brackets to the top of a back wall. I then placed the projector upside down on the shelf I mounted close to the ceiling. The top of the projector was centered in a little sand bag so it wouldn't slide around on the shelf. I also strapped it to the shelf board with some dark elastic straps. As strange as this sounds, it worked fine.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, I completed the two items on todays project list:

-Remote control learning testing w/ Kameleon & One 4 All remotes.

-Installation of a gang box to accommodate the power and video cables.

I had no problems learning the commands from the BenQ remote to my Kameleon & One 4 All remotes.

I completed the installation of the double gang box for my projector power and video cables in the ceiling behind the projector. My 50' S-video cable and the component adapter should be delivered on Tuesday. I made my own component cables with quad shield RG6 and ran them from my equipment closet to the projector along with a piece of nylon sting to pull the S-video cable upon arrival.

Been a busy weekend! I'm off again Tuesday & Wednesday, so I'll complete the cable runs/connections and build a screen.

I can't decide if I want to build a 16x9 or 4x3 screen. If I build the 4x3 then DirecTV will be in the proper aspect ratio and I can construct some masking bars to utilize with 1.78:1, 1.85:1 & 2.35:1. I just don't think I can handle the squished look of DirecTV (4x3) in 16x9 mode on the projector in the long term.

I just want the largest feasible picture from all aspect ratios and the least hassle.

Tnedator:

Any news on the direct aspect ratio button from your dads PB7200 remote working with the PB6100?

ifriend:

Forgive me for missing your post & questions! The PQ is as good as my Sony TV, that has been retired to a guest room. I wish I had a HD signal to try! :( I'm planning to get the DirecTV HD Tivo when available though. I have added the projector mount supply list above. My current screen sizes are as follows:

Fix throw distance = 14.1'

16x9

78" diag

68" width

38" height

4x3

85" diag

68" width

51" height

Thanks for all replies & suggestions!

Sonicflood

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by bob619
OK, so rainbows are minimized (compared to the X1) and the picture is brighter, but is the 6100 still able to maintain a good contrast?

Does the 6100 have better contrast than the X1?

Also for DVD material, is the image sharper than a RPTV or the X1?

Thanks.
I've had great contrast with the PB6100. I feel that it is better than the X1 from my observations.

The image from the PB6100 is equal to or better than the limited number of RPTV's I've seen. I do not have a HD source to have a shootout with my neighbor who has a Philips 55" HD RPTV. Finding Nemo looked better on my projector than his RPTV. This was mutually agreed upon by my Philips owner/friend & me. His set supposedly has Pixel Plus and Digital Natural Motion technologies too.

Sonicflood

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Added a screenshot from The Fifth Element to my gallery. Screen is currently my white wall. Photo was taken with a cheap Kodak digital camera with the flash off.

Sonicflood

·
Registered
168 Posts
Well that does it, after reading all the reviews on the 6100 for the past month, I am going to finally make an order.

It will take about a week to get it shipped and that should give me enough time to start finding materials for my DIY screen.

I have to build a screen (instead of just painting the wall) because the image will have to be projected in a corner (wife wont let me reposition the furniture around, but at least she agreed to have the walls painted a dark moka color.)

Bob

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
bob619:

Congrats on your purchase!

A few Q's:

What type of DIY screen material are you going with?

What is the lighting like in your room?

What will you have connected to your projector (sources)?

Sonicflood

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Chris:

The 7200 is real nice. It is my father's projector. We got him that one for two reasons. One, he will likely live with that projector longer than I will live with the 6100 (I will upgrade as soon as HDTV is available around here). Two, he has more ambient light.

The 7200 still struggles when his room is fully lit (his living room has what amounts to floor to ceiling glass and the wall of glass is around 30' hight and 50' wide. Currently, it is barely watchable during the day. When the room is dark, the picture is awesome. As good as the 6100 is, I think the extra resolution helps. However, it mostly helps when you are closer than 1.5x the screen width.

Sonic:

I have not had a chance. I have worked all weekend, and don't know when I am going to find the time to either bring my projector to his house, or borrow his remote for a while. My plan had been to program my Sony remote by learning from his remote, but it seems that my Sony can't learn BenQ signals.

Billy

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.