AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
That stinks. I'm heading out this evening or it would have been a good opportunity to finally meet! I could have picked your brain while you shamelessly tried to lower your core temps. Maybe its time to button up the "black cat" ??

Btw - almost everyone in Ashburn seems to be up and running. Guessing it's the new(er) underground infrastructure.

·
RETIRED theater builder
34,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have well water so that also means no water. after several hours cutting up some of the fallen branches I came to my health club for a shower and a cold drink. Sitting in the lounge now with my IPad . they have women's softball on the TV. Waste of bandwidth.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Sorry to hear about all the trouble BIG. I saw all of the devastation on the news. That really sucks.

I've got a few open seats for a showing of "Super 8" here in Upstate NY. If you're in the mood for a drive then feel free to stop by.

Hmmmm.... I've got a pool deck that I need to get working on so maybe you could help me get a head start on that too.

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Sorry to hear that Jeff. We arrived home from a 2 week vacation in OK and Colorado at 9:00pm this evening to find small branches all over the yard. We have power and cable and it doesn't seem that there was much damage here though. We did see trees and branches down from middle Ohio to VA. In fact, most of the rest areas in Ohio and WV had electrical crews in them staging for the repair work. I have not ever seen so many electrical lift bucket trucks as I have over the last 18 hours or so. They are all over the highways!

·
RETIRED theater builder
34,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I haven't seen a single repair truck in my area, went to McD for breakfast and I'm tired of hearing everybody talk about downed trees. Still have several more hot sweaty days of clearing in front of me.

UPDATE, I drove the route from my sub station to my house and there are crews at work. Fingers crossed that I will have power for True Blood tonight.

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Man, sounds like a long sucky weekend

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
We drove Friday night sat morning from howell mich thru Ohio thru west Va thru Va straight to nags head NC. The storm got us in Ohio around 5pm, I was looking for cloud rotation. Saw 6-7 semis flipped over due to winds. Hundreds of trees in the roads. here is image as storm approached

We had 20 minute standstill as trees being removed.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Our power went out Friday Night... man that storm front was amazing. Not a leaf moving and you could hear the front coming. Sounded like a growing ocean wave. Then when the first wall of clouds showed up you could see how fast they were moving and the sound kept growing and growing. still no air movement... and then WOOSH all at once. Trees were sideways. I know, people in the midwest get storms like that constantly. Same as BIG, we had well, and water was out as well. Cell phones were out until saturday afternoon. (On verizon) Sunday afternoon though the power was restored. We just drove around mostly, going to movies, restaurants, shopping, etc. Anywhere that had power. Slept in the basement, which remained around 72 or so the whole time even with the 100 degree heat. All of our houses have buried lines but the power that feeds those lines are on poles and right along big trees.... sucks. Time to look for one of those whole-house generators.

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
Then I'm TWO in a million.

Our power went out Friday night about 10:20. Right in the middle of watching Super 8 (Hey, Austin, did you like it?). We heard the wind and thought it was raining but it was the wind through the trees. LOGANESS and I both put down the foot rest of the chairs and got up. My son left the foot rest of his chair up and got up. I paused the movie, and power flickered and went out. I grabbed the flashlight and started watching the sump pit. Fortunately, there was little rain. OR the ground was so hard that it all ran off because the level of water in the pit never really grew. The storm blew over in about an hour, although the lightning show was spectacular and lasted much longer. Went to bed after we were confident the rain had passed.

Saturday was BRUTAL. Temps in the low 100s and no breeze. There was no ice to be found; at least that's what we heard from the neighbors. Grabbed some steaks, chicken and pork chops from the deep freeze and grilled 'em up before they went bad. Inside temp hit 89 at one point. The Theater, on the other hand, was nice and cool. But, you know, it's a THEATER, so it was, um, DARK. All day. Sitting in the dark is boring. In the evening we were sitting down there and my son is stretched out in HIS chair. LOGANESS and I could only last so long sitting upright so we went upstairs and TRIED to sleep.

Remarkably, it cooled off by early morning. I got up Sunday morning and it was only 70. My son slept in the theater. He and I headed out on a reconnaissance mission, mostly to find coffee. Turns out about four miles down the road (toward Ashburn) power was on. We pulled into a Harris Teeter and they had a trailer full of ice. They GAVE me four bags. Found coffee and breakfast at an open McDs. We put a bag in the fridge, the freezer and the deep freeze, pulled out a cooler and put a bag in there with some of the things we thought might go bad first. Most of Sunday was not too bad on the deck as there was a small breeze MOST of the day. By about 3:00 it was back up in the high 90s and even the breeze gave up. Back down to sit in the dark theater for a while.

So as the sun went down we were back on the deck. Just as it was getting dark, I say to LOGANESS, "I can't tell if the orange glow in that window is a candle or the lights are on." Just then my son walks onto the deck and says, "You see those lights, too? There's another in the window next to it, too " Then through the trees I could see little points of light. And every once in awhile we heard a cheer go up. The problem is that I know that section is on different feeder and at best it could be a couple more hours.

Then right at 10:00 the lights come back on! The FIRST thing my son says is, "Do you want to go down and watch the rest of the movie while the house cools down?" A real chip off the 'ol block! We were 20 minutes short of 48 hours. We quick emptied the perishables from the fridge and freezer. Checked the deep freeze and everything in there was still solid, so we left that. Then we went down and watched the rest of the movie.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Glad to hear you guys are slowly coming back on line. Reminds me of the year we moved to Houston and Hurricane Ike rolled through. We didn't have power for 8 or 9 days.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts