AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think that Replay is going to live on. Its great technology which will be around for some years to come. Replay totally kicks butt on the SA set-top boxes which are always rebooting. Whoever gets the deal will get a product which already has the engineering and development complete along with a team of people who are leaders in software. I just can't imagine this product going away. Replay/SB just grew to quickly for sales generated.

The public is only now starting to understand what DVR's do. I still keep explaining to people at work who don't understand its about "random access" to data. I will NEVER go back to sequential tape recordings.

Its interesting to see that TIVO is now just coming around to doing tricks Replay has had for over a year now. If Replay doesn't survive, I'm not about to sink money into another company like TIVO which is also bleeding heavily.

Its probably win win for us. If Replay survives- thats great.

If Replay dies, then people here will keep it going and used units will end up costing about $25 on ebay.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Amen.

My dream Replay (for analog stuff) is the ReplayTV software running on something like a Toshiba RD-X2 or Panasonic DMR-HS2. These DVD recorders with hard disks make stunning recordings becuase they have modern, kick ass analog tuners, super clean input analog inputs and really really good MPEG2 encoders. Add dual tuners and encoders and I'd be in blissville.

Here's to hoping Replays good bits: the softeware goes to a company with good hardware to run it on.

-Ian

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jconawa
If Replay dies, then people here will keep it going and used units will end up costing about $25 on ebay.
if replaytv dies, i sure hope it ends up costing only $25 on ebay. if we can find a way to get it to work, i'll gobble a few of them up.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I wouldn't be suprized if Panasonic jumps back into this... they already have thier DVD-R w/HD units... and after all they were tyhe ones that started "show-stopper" (IMHO a better name as well) -- plus with Sony coming out with one this would be an easy score :)

-- oh crap must have been dreaming again

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.