AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Out of curiosity, why would you use W-VHS, which is an (old, not manufactured anymore) analog format, insted of the new DVHS ?

I see used W-VHS decks sold around here, most of them are Victor (JVC), made in 1995. They were used to record the analog Hi-Def broadcast in Japan, before they switched to digital in 2001.

The W-VHS tapes are not cheap either, and only one maker, (again, Victor) is still producing them.

Rob

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by CRT_Bob
Out of curiosity, why would you use W-VHS, which is an (old, not manufactured anymore) analog format, insted of the new DVHS ?

I see used W-VHS decks sold around here, most of them are Victor (JVC), made in 1995. They were used to record the analog Hi-Def broadcast in Japan, before they switched to digital in 2001.

The W-VHS tapes are not cheap either, and only one maker, (again, Victor) is still producing them.

Rob
Because I want to record from HBO-HD and HDNet. I have no problem with it being analog, because, after all, it gets converted to analog before it goes to my monitor anyway, right?

·
Registered
800 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by aviators99
Because I want to record from HBO-HD and HDNet.
Be sure to use a DirecTV STB other than the RCA DTC-100, since it's reported that W-VHS recorders can't cope with the particular type of sync that it uses.

·
Registered
9,223 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by aviators99

I have no problem with it being analog, because, after all, it gets converted to analog before it goes to my monitor anyway, right?
Yes and no. Standard VHS is analog too and it doesn't match an origional broadcast in quality. Same goes for WVHS. There is quality loss from the origional just as with standard VHS. I have seen it with demo material and it looks noisy to me.

But it's still very good and may be good enough considering there really is no other way to record DirecTV HD unless you go to broadcast grade equipment.

Just don't expect the playback to be identical to the origional as with DVHS.

I have heard D9 tape stock which is a new digital broadcast format by JVC works with WVHS. The stock is still pricy but at least it's in current production.

·
Premium Member
12,981 Posts
Glimmie- Be fair now. WVHS records to two adjacent video tracks keeping the Y and C separate on the tape. This avoids the horendous generational loss you get with composite track recording like VHS and SVHS. Because of this dual track recording generational losses are more comparable to betacam than VHS. Chroma banding is much reduced on multiple generational dubbing. First generational recording is quite good and will press the best eye on looking like it is right off the HD camera. If one can stand the tape cost and get it working with his I/O's and not care about DD audio then I think this would make a pretty good recorder.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
That depends on the display in use.

I saw a demo on a QX1 first from a digital source, and then from an analog one, and the analog source looked very soft and washed out.

Of course, not everybody has a $225000 QXGA projector...

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by CKarras
Good video, but not digital audio, right? No 5.1.....
There is no way WVHS can record DD 5.1 audio stream. I believe it will record 2 channel analog only.

bb

·
Registered
576 Posts
Illegal? Ken you gonna put him in jail :)

·
Registered
310 Posts
Rudolph,

You're way overpriced. Another AVS forum member offered to sell me his WVHS unit for $1500. You're starting your bidding at $1500 and you still have a reserve!

Try

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Dave (copen),

If you think it's overpriced, don't bid on it. If others think it is overpriced, they won't bid on it. In that case, Rudolph can relist the item with a lower reserve. I would be surprised if it came to this -- $1,500 seems like a reasonable starting point for this unit.

And my guess is that he is selling this unit because tapes cost a fortune. Who wants to spend $50 to record the latest movie off HBO? Not to mention it can't record the audio in 5.1...

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Yeah I'd go $1K for it too, right now as a matter of fact and you could sell your pre-recorded tapes to someone else for all they matter to me. I'd just want the thing for simple timeshifting mostly. Since I have 3 STB's from 3 different providers it doesnt really make sense for me to go with something like the Sammy 165 and a DVHS unit since it's OTA only and I still dont have many OTA channels anyway. But I do get Network HD from one of the other DBS HD STB's so that I could timeshift that as well as token movies here and there on the movie channels. I have no desire to archive so I dont care about the cost of the tapes. And as far as the 5.1 again, without the archive factor, if I really think I need 5.1 for a specific program to enjoy it more I'd just watch that particular show live. Hell, nothing on CBS or HDNet is in 5.1 yet anyway.

My only other logical option at that pricepoint is to just keep waiting for the 921 PVR I guess and just do my timeshifting that way. But there again that would limit me to Dish and whatever I get OTA.

·
Registered
29,489 Posts
Why doesn't JVC drop the price on this puppy to something affordable, and the tapes too, say around $1k?? Or somebody else make one? They'd instantly have a market of 100-150k, I should suspect, if they advertised a bit, and that should certainly enable them to manufacture them in bulk at a reasonable price point. Not everyone would consider lack of DD5.1 to be a deal breaker; I certainly wouldn't....

I just want an easy, out-of-the-box ability to time-shift HD programming, and that means all of it, including and especially HBO and Showtime movies. W-VHS would seem an ideal solution, since the PVR921 will apparently be "delayed" until hell itself freezes over...

And the studios shouldn't have a problem with W-VHS since everyone with half an ounce of sense knows the "analog hole" isn't a hole at all.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.