Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
 http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/image_uploads/back.JPG
http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/image_uploads/front.JPG

I'm not a regular poster but wanted to thank every body for the ideas I used from the Forum in putting together my home theatre. I was waiting for 16x9 DLP to hit the market when the Dell deal hit. Of course I couldn't resist. So I had to totally rethink my home theatre switching from a ceiling mount to a floor mount because of the low ceiling. I transformed my raised rear seating area into a king size hush box complete with silencer fan, Sears auto switch, Edmonds glass, and filtered air intakes topped by four recliners from Costco. I did sacrifice one seating position in the front row but I'm ecstatic with how quiet and unobtrusive the projector is. I'm shooting onto a l00" wide painted wall and will eventually spring for a high power 2.8 Thanks again everybody.

Jeff

[This message has been edited by JG (edited 09-07-2001).]

·
Registered
458 Posts
I've actually been thinking of a solution similar to that just the other day. Course, I don't have a room yet for my LT 150, but it is the thoughts that count...

Jason

·
Registered
408 Posts
That's a great looking theater you have there, Jeff.

Kirk

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
The projector inside the riser. That is just too cool, Jeff.

And man oh man do those recliners look comfortable.

Curious about one thing. Did you have to do anything to provide ventilation for the projector?

Bob

------------------

~ The Sultan of Cheap ~

·
Registered
950 Posts
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JG, that HT is a MAGNIFICENT piece of artistry!!!!! Do you come from an enginering gene pool????!!

Your talent is formidable to say the least.

OK, how much for the chairs?? and, how much does the black masking above the screen reduce the light spill?

Thank you very much for the pics, and sharing your ideas on what a HT should look like.

Cheers, VB

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'd like to know the dimensions of the room as well. My HT room in the basement also suffers from a low ceiling. I think this is a way cool idea, but don't the front row viewers suffer from extreme screen door effect?

Edit: Well, I guess I can answer part of my own question - for a 100" wide display, the 150 needs to be back about 13.3', so the front row seats are probably 11' back from the screen.

------------------

-- Hoover2

[This message has been edited by Hoover2 (edited 09-08-2001).]

·
Registered
578 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Gotta admit that is brilliant. Certainly gives me ideas as well. Thanks for sharing.

------------------

--

/Kimmo

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi guys, I just got back from a quick trip to Vegas so haven't been able to respond to your posts.

l. Billy, Jason, Tom, Kirk, and Kimmo - Thanks for the positive comments. It's time I gave something back to the forum.

2. Bob - Yes, the chairs are extremely comfortable and provide head and neck support while still viewing the screen (not while looking at the ceiling like some recliners)which I believe is the #l criteria for selecting a home theatre recliner. As far as ventilation goes - of course. When I turn on the projector with the remote control (I know you already lost yours - hehe) by aiming through the 5x7" Edmonds glass opening it automatically activates the Sears auto switch which then turns on the 80mm silencer computer fans which draw air from the far side of the riser where I installed an air filter across the projector and exhaust into the adjacent storage room. It was really quite simple to do - I'm not technical at all.

2. jsmin - the room is 17'x12'6" and the projector sits 13'x3" from the screen.

3. VB - Chairs were $279.00 each at Costco. They have different models at different times but when these came in I told the employee I would take seven. He said, "yea, right". They're leather seating surfaces and I think they look great. The black masking totally eliminates the light spill. I turned the projector on and just kept painting until all of the light spill was eliminated.

4. Hoover 2 - My front row is 9' from the l00"wide screen and yes the screen door is evident but with high definition sources it looks magnificent and my kids fight over who gets to sit in the front row.

5. ****** - In floor heating is the best!

6. andrechen - My dog likes to be with us while we watch movies but this is quite a negative with a floor mount projector. Doggie ear shadows can become tiresome. Fortunately he hasn't taken to relieving himself on the Edmonds glass.

7. PC Doctor - it requires a furniture mover, carpet layer and carpenter...i.e. my wife and kids.

[This message has been edited by JG (edited 09-08-2001).]

·
Registered
387 Posts
First reaction I had was "where the heck do the people in the upper row keep their feet parked?" until I realized those were recliners... http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

How about dust contamination of the projector? Where do you draw your air from?

------------------

--

/Kimmo

·
Registered
950 Posts
Thanks JG, I guess it's time to renew my sub with Costco.

Your ideas are perfection in simplcity!

Cheers, VB

·
Registered
387 Posts
Aha. I was just curious since spaces especially where people tend to spend time can get dusty, and dust does tend to wind up on the floor.

Btw, I'm disgusted that you can get recliners like that for $279. I need to move to the states. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------

--

/Kimmo

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Jimmy, The chairs are by Stratolounger model # 398755 0. They are called the Anniversary II RKR Recliner. They are over 1 year old now so I don't know if they are still being made. They were probably made exclusively for Costco and at a price that my brother who owns a furniture could not come close to even at dealer cost. I am sure somthing similar and at a similar price is still available from Costco or Sam's club.

Jeff

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Kimmo, Underneath the far side recliner I cut two 3x10" openings basically the size of a floor register. I then went to Home Depot and purchased filters designed to be placed in floor registers. Taped these filters to the openings with duct tape. They filter the air that is pulled across the projector and exhausted on the opposite end. It works great. A thermometer placed near the projector has never gone above 80 degrees.

Jeff

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.