AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for a new tv but I've almost given up. It seems like this shouldn't be this hard but reading about everyone's opinions is only second to most confusing to actually looking at TVs in the store. Ya, the 4k models look awesome in the demo mode but then you see an nba game on a similar model and it looks terrible.

First, so few tvs are actually 240hz do how important is this? I mostly watch live sports and some movies.

Next, I thought I'd discovered that 65 inches is possibly the best size to value point but then I see 70 inch models near a grand. Of course they don't look great but neither do some $1500 65s, either.

I'd like a 70 but if the value is in a 65, that's fine. I'm concerned with picture quality (I have directv) first and don't care a bit about the extra features such as 3d and smart functions. The addition of some of these only further muddies the water. My head is seriously about to explode. Buying a 4k set seems reasonable but isn't mandatory.

I'd spend anywhere between 1000 and 2500 if I could somehow figure the best thing to zero in on. Looking in the stores has been zero help.

·
Registered
590 Posts
You are correct it can be overwhelming. Just remember that the next best thing is allways coming out tomorrow, next week, next year. So if you keep waiting for that you'll always be waiting. I always tell people to research models in their price range from LG, Samsung, Sharp, Sony, Panisonic and Vizio since plasma is effectively dead and OLED will be above your price range LED will probably be your choice.
Find the models who's reviews you feel most comfortable with and go look at them in the big box stores ask the salesmen for the remotes, download some content onto a flash drive. Find which model pleases your eyes and buy it, if it doesn't meet your needs once you get it home then return it and get the TV that would have been your second choice. You will make the right choice so don't sweat it.
Two other words of advice
1. If your going to spend >$1000 on a TV get the best extended waranty you can!!
2. After you get your TV and your satisfied erase the link to this forum!!! If you've spent any time reading AVS you know we will pick a product apart exposing every weakness and flaw both real and imagined, then we become the vampires the will suck every ounce of enjoyment you will ever recieve from watching your TV because you will always be looking for the inperfections instead of enjoying the content.
I have a Samsung UN65HU8550 and couldn't be any more happy, best TV I've ever had, and it doesn't hurt that BestBuy refunded the $2700 I spent in 2011 on a 55D8000 because I had the extended waranty.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I actually really liked the 65HU7250 but only saw the 4k demo. Then here I read all sorts of good and bad so start to wonder if $2100 is the right price for that. Maybe I'll take a look at your model.

·
Registered
15,188 Posts
I'm in the market for a new tv but I've almost given up. It seems like this shouldn't be this hard but reading about everyone's opinions is only second to most confusing to actually looking at TVs in the store. Ya, the 4k models look awesome in the demo mode but then you see an nba game on a similar model and it looks terrible.

First, so few tvs are actually 240hz do how important is this? I mostly watch live sports and some movies.

Next, I thought I'd discovered that 65 inches is possibly the best size to value point but then I see 70 inch models near a grand. Of course they don't look great but neither do some $1500 65s, either.

I'd like a 70 but if the value is in a 65, that's fine. I'm concerned with picture quality (I have directv) first and don't care a bit about the extra features such as 3d and smart functions. The addition of some of these only further muddies the water. My head is seriously about to explode. Buying a 4k set seems reasonable but isn't mandatory.

I'd spend anywhere between 1000 and 2500 if I could somehow figure the best thing to zero in on. Looking in the stores has been zero help.
From what you have written above, you may want to check out the Vizio P70. It is currently available from Costco for $2000 until the end of March and is generally recognized as the price-performance leader for a 70" 4K TV at that price point.

The P70 is the only Full Array Local Dimming LED/LCD available at anything close to that price, which translates into class-leading black-levels and shadow detail when viewing in a dark room (better black-levels than any edge-lit LED/LCD, including the Samsung's you are considering).

Off-angle viewing performance is not as good beyond 20-30 degrees as a plasma or an IPS LED/LCD (which has poor blacks), but except for that one limitation, you will struggle to find a better TV of that size for that price.

There is a P-Series Owner's thread here on the forum that you might want to check out: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...icial-2014-vizio-p-series-owner-s-thread.html

1 - 4 of 4 Posts