AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week I discovered a new thing called Dolby Digital 5.1 sound. And today I discovered that you can actually ceiling mount a projector.

Well, I guess technically it's a "shelf mount". But it is the closest any of my projectors have ever been to a ceiling. Did it with a 2x6, an old piece of 1/8" brass plate that had been half buried in the yard for

a number of years and a pair of shelf brackets. The white brackets are ugly. I'm going to paint em but I threw all this up quickly so I could see the debut of college football in CBS HDTV this afternoon.

The brass mounting plate is secured to the 2x6 with one 3/8" carriage screw and a wingnut. Using only the one mounting screw permits me to swivel the projector to align the throw.

By all means take a look. And then please permit me one question about inverting my G1000.
http://members.home.net/bobwood21/DILA.JPG

One question. Why did inverting my projector change the pixel convergence? First thing I noticed was that blue moved up vertically by a significant amount. Is this the change I've always heard about which results from inverting the projector? The change that is corrected with an adjustment screw on the G11/G15 which is not found on the G1000/G10? Or is that something else? Should I attempt to correct this misconvergence with Dilard?

One last question. How much distance do you think I need to have between the intake vent and that brass plate to ensure safe operation?

Bob

[This message has been edited by RobertWood (edited 09-22-2001).]

·
Registered
842 Posts
I'm guessing you can give a try. Just make sure you back up. Once you get DILARD 2.2 I would think you can rerun the calibration wizard and tune it back up again.

------------------

Tom Strade

Immersive, Inc.
www.immersiveinc.com

·
Registered
287 Posts
Darn it, Bob, now I'm feeling behind. I still haven't gotten around to ceiling mounting my d-ila.

Looks great. As long as the plate isn't closer to the projector than the shorter feet, it should probably be fine.

Does this mean you're giving up your crts?

The thread about the cheap 500w bulbs definitely had me considering a different longterm strategy.

Jeff

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Don't feel behind, Jeff. I'm guessing you were probably listening to 5.1 sound about five years before me. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Besides, if I would have had to actually hang it from the ceiling I probably would be posting this thread in a few more years.

Can you have the projector all the way back at the rear wall?

It's a hell of an advantage for those of us who can.

Hanging it from shelf brackets is about as easy as it gets.

And if you prefer to use a hush box the shelf routine is very suitable for that too. If I can find another free Saturday I'm going to throw together an acrylic hush box and vent the exhaust out that window (except in the winter - I'm in "North" Florida).

p.s. if those cheap 500w bulbs work out that will likely kick me over the edge too. As it stands now I'll probably want to use both. But only when I get the CRT on the ceiling. Never again do I want those things sitting on a table.

Bob

[This message has been edited by RobertWood (edited 09-23-2001).]

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Hi Bob-

Looks good -

I did the same thing, except that I put the Projector on top of the shelf. I used some aluminum channel to provide a little frame that the 'top' of the projector rests on. This way the projector is nearly to the ceiling and the shelf is available for the panamorph (whenever that might be). In addition, being on top of the shelf provides an easy way to place a cover (if not a hush box) around the projector. If you're worried about cooling you can also set a hush fan (Home Depot) on the shelf next to the projector outlet vent which provides additional circulation. I made an open top box that goes aroung the whole thing - not a total hush box, but one that hides the projector and fan, etc and provides a bit of noise abatement.

The newer G11s have a separate memory allocation for inverted mount shading. Mine was calibrated by Cliff/William - I was told that they simply used the inverted position shading memory when calibration was done.

ken

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Bob-

I have no idea. I don't understand what the adjustment screw actually adjusts. Nor do I understand the relation between shading variations which typically manifest from one side of the screen to the another and shifts in 'pixel convergence'.

I mounted my projector inverted from day one; then sent it to Cliff/William for calibration. I had some shading issues in my uncalibrated G11 which were eliminated by the calibration, but I never experienced the effect you are describing.

Not much help - sorry; I'm very interested in answer though - we need an expert on this one.

ken

·
Registered
891 Posts
Looks similar to my and Mark Hunter's (since I basically copied his) installation, except that we've got the projector on the other side of the wall (the wall is my hushbox).

And you're right, shelf mounting couldn't be much easier. I'm not particularly good with that kind of stuff, and did the whole installation in one weekend.

As far as convergence, I didn't notice any change when I mounted mine inverted. I did forget to adjust the screw originally, so I had to take it down (arg) to fix it. There was some noticably bad shading -- red on one corner and green on the opposite -- that the screw adjustment completely took care of, but I'm pretty sure it didn't make any difference to the convergence.

If the misconvergence is greater than a half-pixel and is uniform across the screen, Dilard should be able to help.

[This message has been edited by Chris Carollo (edited 09-23-2001).]

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, Chris. Yes it does appear to be greater than a half-pixel and is uniform across the image. I'll sic Dilard on it.

Bob

·
Registered
157 Posts
Bob, nice 'mount' - the bottom left hand side of the first of your pictures that is ( I assume this is your prized collection ) - life isnt just about projectors.

Cheers

Adam

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow you have good eyes, Adam. I had not noticed that was showing in the photo. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Actually that's a pinball machine backglass which has been framed and is hanging on the wall.

It's one of only four made. They were made to convert four pinball machines for use in a New York strip club. The original pinball machines were a 1963 model called "BIG DEAL". The conversion was renamed and the artwork re-designed (use your imagination as to what the new name was).

Thought you might like to see a full shot of it with the offensive parts of it censored.
http://members.home.net/bobwood21/BD.JPG

[This message has been edited by RobertWood (edited 09-23-2001).]

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the reply, Ken.

I had always thought differences in shading were seen as an overall difference in color tint from one side of the image to another.

Do you think it's the same thing as what appears to me to be a change in convergence?

Bob

·
Registered
453 Posts
Bob,

You might want to make the hushbox out out wood and add an Edmund optical glass piece for the lens. Throw in a couple of quiet 80mm case fans and a power adapter and it'll cost you much less than acrylic (I knew that would appeal to you), and you can paint it any color you want. I also use ordinary 1-1/2 inch pipe, a flange, and a Chief ceiling mount bracket to hang my G1000 from the basement ceiling joists.

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
I knew that would appeal to you
It does, Al. Good suggestion.

BW

------------------

~ An AMERICAN Cheapskate (I stopped being a "Sultan" on 9.11.01) ~

·
Registered
140 Posts
Bob,

Please tell me, what motivated you to ceiling mount?

I´m still stuck with my BG1209 on the floor... http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/rolleyes.gif

I need a thougher ceiling!!!

/David

(BTW, you don´t happen to have a spare DILA?)

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Bob, I just built a ceiling mount for my vt540 this weekend too. My landlady won't let me do anything to the plaster on the walls so I had to figure out a design which could hang this projector from picture molding. Needless to say I am now terrified it is going to fall. I'll try to post a pic of it when I get home from work.

Good work on yours by the way.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Bob your creativity never ceases to amaze me, must be the East Tennessee heritage. I have a little shelf system for my LT150 and ISCO II which is based on the same principle.

------------------

John
My HT Picts

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
I am really hoping of course that it won't fall http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/eek.gif I am considering adding another brace to secure things. The mount is bolted in at a 45 degree angle through the molding and in through the wall. The reason for this design was to place the majority of the weight against the wall and down on the molding. The mount in between the two boards is simply a speaker bracket mount. It worked perfectly to allow me to fine tune the position of the projector.

·
Registered
93 Posts
JP,

That's a pretty ingenious installation considering the constraints you had to work with. I'd be a bit concerned though about the stability of the set-up...the VT540 is a heavy projector and that bracket mount (or the wall moulding) might give way soon.

I'm curious as to what you used for mounting the plate to the shelf. Is that an inverted tripod head? How was it attached?

Tnx - Sonny B.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.