AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I mean seriously, I give credit to Cyberlink for being the only media player that plays BluRay Discs but c'mon, it's a buggy mess. I was watching Avatar and its special features on the new 3-disc set and I kid you not I've had PDVD crash at least 6 times on my rig? My specs are:

Windows 7 64bit

Intel Core i7 950 OC'ed to 4.0Ghz

ATI 5870 1GB

6GB DDR3 ram

2TB Seagate drive @ 7200 rpm

My rig is TotL and runs everything thrown at it with ease.

I'm running PDVD 10 latest version and it's just not a good media player. Doesn't have nearly the same options or featurs MPC or even VLC has, and isn't even compatible with 3rd party decoders/codecs such as ffdshow. The *only* thing it's good for is BluRay *disc* playback and that's it.

I seriously hope there's a solution for BD playback in MPC or VLC coming soon so I can uninstall Power DVD asap.

Anyone else having crash problems with pdvd as well?

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
I've been using PDVD 10 for a while now and it's been working quite well. I had a couple of issues where it would stutter a bit, but stopping PDVD and restarting it always fixed the problem. I stream all of my Blu-Rays over a home network from an unRAID server so the problem could be network related. Overall, I've been quite pleased with PDVD 10.

BTW, you do realize that PDVD is not the only Blu-Ray player available, don't you? Arcsoft's Total Media Theater also does the job quite nicely. They just released version 5 so you might want to take a look at it.

Just out of curiousity, why are you using an i7 950 overclocked to 4.0GHz? That is serious overkill for an HTPC.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Email Cyberlink Power DVD support. If they point you to testing software download and use it and send them your logs. We are the software testing department for Cyberlink.

I had problems with Power DVD 9 Ultra for the first six plus months. It was very unstable. After repeated exchanges, they got the software fixed. Power DVD 9 Ultra now does such a fine job with DVD and Blu-ray picture quality that it is now one of my favorite pieces of software.

I found that Cyberlink does not release polished software. They are working around the constraints of digital rights management and protected audio paths. I found the problems frustrating. The work around is to rip blu-ray to mkv and play it with MPC-HC or try TMT, which may also have problems.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by isamu /forum/post/19638925

I mean seriously, I give credit to Cyberlink for being the only media player that plays BluRay Discs but c'mon, it's a buggy mess.

I'm running PDVD 10 latest version and it's just not a good media player.

Doesn't have nearly the same options or featurs MPC or even VLC has, and isn't even compatible with 3rd party decoders/codecs such as ffdshow. The *only* thing it's good for is BluRay *disc* playback and that's it.

I seriously hope there's a solution for BD playback in MPC or VLC coming soon so I can uninstall Power DVD asap.

Anyone else having crash problems with pdvd as well?

You get support from Cyberlink with the price.

Post your specific queries in their forums too, I'm sure you'll get a reply from their engineers.

And why would a software maker support third-party filters/decoders?

Its again a question of support.

Since they sell this piece of software they are required to provide support, which means they have to test each and every thing they claim about it.

The more they claim, the more they have to test and the more the S/W costs.

There are other solutions for BD playback: TMT, WinDVD, MPC-HC.

And MPC-HC & VLC can't do what PDVD can do.

If PDVD is crashing then its conflicting with something in your system.

Have you tried to run PDVD with your system at default settings (not OC).

Have you tried to run it on any other system?

·
Registered
539 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hirent /forum/post/19639578

You get support from Cyberlink with the price.

Post your specific queries in their forums too, I'm sure you'll get a reply from their engineers.

And why would a software maker support third-party filters/decoders?

Its again a question of support.

Since they sell this piece of software they are required to provide support, which means they have to test each and every thing they claim about it.

The more they claim, the more they have to test and the more the S/W costs.

There are other solutions for BD playback: TMT, WinDVD, MPC-HC.

And MPC-HC & VLC can't do what PDVD can do.

If PDVD is crashing then its conflicting with something in your system.

Have you tried to run PDVD with your system at default settings (not OC).

Have you tried to run it on any other system?

what amazes me is that MPC is about 20MB and PDVD is about 200 meg ... and MPC is thousands of times better.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fschris /forum/post/19639715

what amazes me is that MPC is about 20MB and PDVD is about 200 meg ... and MPC is thousands of times better.

Depends on how you look at it.

While MPC-HC is a great piece of software and best of all FREE; it has limited features if you are looking for full-featured BD playback.

I wouldn't label it as thousands of times better, but admittedly, the price of admission alone outweighs a lot.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fschris /forum/post/19639715

Quote:
Originally Posted by hirent /forum/post/19640075

Depends on how you look at it.

While MPC-HC is a great piece of software and best of all FREE; it has limited features if you are looking for full-featured BD playback.

I wouldn't label it as thousands of times better, but admittedly, the price of admission alone outweighs a lot.

LOL...

To start with, I never saw any version of PDVD that is about 200MB, some are a bit over 100MB (Current 3D mark II update is 120MB)

I fully admit that MPC-HC is a fantastic software for what it does for free, but I wouldn't compare it quality wise with PDVD.

Since PDVD9, even TMT (my favorite player) has been struggling to keep at par quality wisewith PDVD.

It is a shame that some people have issues here and there, but I personally haven't had any since upgrading to PDVD 10 a while back.

Claiming MPC-HP to be a thousand times better than PDVD simply makes me laugh in 3D...

·
Registered
5,044 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izkimar /forum/post/19639412

Seriously? There are no problems when overclocking cpu's and making sure the oc's are stable with tons of stress testing.

There's a reason CPUs are rated at a specific speed by the manufacturer. You can take two identical CPUs and overclock them and see drastically different results. Overclocking can give you greater performance for the buck, but it's a total crapshoot. You can squeeze more performance out of one CPU and totally bork another one of the same model.

The goal here is stability. Overclocking a CPU in an HTPC and expecting it to be perfectly stable is unrealistic and just asking for trouble. If it works for you then it's mostly dumb luck. If you want to overclock your CPU for gaming purposes, then it might me wise to keep it as a dedicated gaming machine and leave the HTPC chores to a stock configuration.

Try running PDVD in a stock machine and then let us know how it works. I'd be willing to bet your OC'd CPU is what's causing your problems, not the software.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I've been overclocking for years and have never had an issue. Sure, some will do better, however, I wouldn't solely attribute that to be the source of the problem. I'd imagine that he's tested the OC to find it stable. You can run it at stock speeds to rule that out.

I OC my HTPC's as well with all the power saving features enabled to boot. My C2Q is under-volted and OC'd +500Mhz.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamahaSHO /forum/post/19641620

I've been overclocking for years and have never had an issue. Sure, some will do better, however, I wouldn't solely attribute that to be the source of the problem. I'd imagine that he's tested the OC to find it stable. You can run it at stock speeds to rule that out.

I OC my HTPC's as well with all the power saving features enabled to boot. My C2Q is under-volted and OC'd +500Mhz.

Just because prime95 or Memtest86 or whatever else 24hr stress test you performed passes does not mean that X software will work without conflicts. When you have a software issue, especially crashes, on an overclocked system the first thing to do is drop to stock to make sure the OC isn't causing the issue (as crashes are usually attributed to corrupt RAM).

I had some crashing issues with PowerDVD9 on Vista, but PowerDVD10 in Win7 has for the most part been stable. There is the rare occasion it may act up when first trying to open it in WMC and I have to close WMC and reopen. But once it starts playing I've never had an issue.

·
Registered
109 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video /forum/post/19641510

There's a reason CPUs are rated at a specific speed by the manufacturer. You can take two identical CPUs and overclock them and see drastically different results. Overclocking can give you greater performance for the buck, but it's a total crapshoot. You can squeeze more performance out of one CPU and totally bork another one of the same model.

The goal here is stability. Overclocking a CPU in an HTPC and expecting it to be perfectly stable is unrealistic and just asking for trouble. If it works for you then it's mostly dumb luck. If you want to overclock your CPU for gaming purposes, then it might me wise to keep it as a dedicated gaming machine and leave the HTPC chores to a stock configuration.

Try running PDVD in a stock machine and then let us know how it works. I'd be willing to bet your OC'd CPU is what's causing your problems, not the software.

Seriously? Did you just compare overclocking to a crap shoot, and say that its dumb luck if you reach stability. Lolz, you are seriously behind the times man. If the cpu is good and not already unstable it will overclock easily a 100% of the time. Go look through these forums, and post what you're saying there. You'd be lol'd at so bad.

http://www.digitalstormonline.com/fo...pics.asp?FID=6

Not only does this site happen to have many overclocking experts in the forum community, the actual company itself will even overclock certain setups to 4.6 ghz and offer up to 5 year warranties on it. Lol, that's not stable? If it were a crapshoot I promise they would be losing money with all the cpu's and other hardware they'd have to buy to get what you would call the dumb luck of stability. Also, tell me why they actually factory overclock cpu's now and charge you a fortune for it? That's because its been realized how much performance you can gain from overclocking now, it's not just some gimmick. Every true pc enthusiast overclocks their hardware now, not just their cpu's. Also, there really isn't too much of a reason to oc an htpc, but if it is your gaming pc also then that changes the whole story as far as necessity go's. But as far as stability go's it doesn't matter whether its an htpc or gaming rig, how would that even begin to change stability? The only true damage you do is reduce the lifespan of your cpu from lasting over 10 years or so to about 5-7 years, and anyone who is an enthusiast will upgrade well before then. Even most normal people upgrade around every 5 years..

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Just because someone can OC a Core i7 to 4+ GHz doesn't mean that every Core i7 can be OC'ed to 4GHz and be stable. And just because one program is stable at 4+ GHz doesn't mean that every program is stable at 4+ GHz. The critical speedpath may be in an instruction that is used by some programs but not others.

Maybe PDVD is a POS, but maybe your system isn't stable at its speed. When things aren't stable at a certain OC speed, any competent overclocker knows that the first debug step is to reduce your OC or even go all the way down to stock speeds.

If PDVD were this unstable for everybody, I'm sure everybody in the PDVD10 thread would be screaming, but there are alternatives. I'm using TMT for BD playback.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts