AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep changing my mind everyday then I get conflicting information and I am back to square one.

If I get a projector my hdmi cable run is going to be 40 feet Ive looked around for 1.3 rating they are like $ 200 a piece ( monoprice cables at that lenght simply dont work the way they should)...Some cables work and some dont.

Anyone where to get one that will work my projector will be sanyo plv3000 or the epson6500 or the panny3000.....My throw distance will be anywhere from 12 feet t0 17 feet what's the biggest screen size I can go with without degrading quality can I go with 120 inch...............

I was gonna order the carada screens now I hear they wrinkle too much I though that decision was already made......

IS this just a bad time to buy an epson doesnt the new model come out in september.

· Registered
634 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sargeant /forum/post/16829284

I keep changing my mind everyday then I get conflicting information and I am back to square one.

If I get a projector my hdmi cable run is going to be 40 feet Ive looked around for 1.3 rating they are like $ 200 a piece ( monoprice cables at that lenght simply dont work the way they should)...Some cables work and some dont.

Anyone where to get one that will work my projector will be sanyo plv3000 or the epson6500 or the panny3000.....My throw distance will be anywhere from 12 feet t0 17 feet what's the biggest screen size I can go with without degrading quality can I go with 120 inch...............

I was gonna order the carada screens now I hear they wrinkle too much I though that decision was already made......

IS this just a bad time to buy an epson doesnt the new model come out in september.

Most likely new models for all companies listed above. CEDIA is where they are unveiled.

· Premium Member
21,371 Posts
First of all, I'm not sure where you are getting your information...but you are dealing with some falsehoods.

My set up includes a Planar 8150 (1080P) projector and a monoprice 50ft cable. I also had a 75ft Alonta cable with a built in booster. Yes, it's true that "some work and some don't"...but that isn't exactly all of the equation.

The source component

The projector/monitor

The Cable

Anything else in the video loop (switchers etc).

All come into play as to whether a 40ft or longer cable will work. Two problems that will typcally arise is the ability for the source and the projector to "handshake" ...meaning communicate that the signal is HDCP compliant. The second common issue is sparkles, snow, off colored image etc etc. Meaning you are not getting a clear full image.

WIth a digital signal, the cable either works or it doesn't. I typically start with the less expensive option and work my way up the cost chain. I also buy from retailers or etailers that allow for a return policy (without any restocking fee).

Some items you can use to help the signal or powered boosters and/or a unit I use is called Ethereal's DAD. Ethereal's product helps "restructure" the HDCP signal, so the source and projector can communicate properly=sync.

As far as Carada screens wrinkling too much....from my experience with two of their screens over the years...that's bull. If you have a problem, they are a terrific company that stands behind their products. Are there other great companies that make great screens...yes. Carada wouldn't be as successful as they are if wrinkled screens was a major issue for their customers. Most members here are hobbyist. Hobbyist are picky by nature, so they wouldn't be popular here, if they had consistant major issues with wrinkles.

I hope the information helps.

Ron

· Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I appreciate the quick responses..Im looking for 1.3 a rating that can carry 10.2 signal that can accomodate 120 hz projector...

I can settle for the carada screen I got of the phone with them I like their customer service they will resovle if there is a problem

Monoprice do not carry these cables. I gotta get this cable length signal strength sorted out anyone of a retailer out there other than monoprice they are great for the rest of the stuff except for the longer lenghts that support 120hz projectors.

· Premium Member
21,371 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sargeant /forum/post/16829615

I appreciate the quick responses..Im looking for 1.3 a rating that can carry 10.2 signal that can accomodate 120 hz projector...

I can settle for the carada screen I got of the phone with them I like their customer service they will resovle if there is a problem

Monoprice do not carry these cables. I gotta get this cable length signal strength sorted out anyone of a retailer out there other than monoprice they are great for the rest of the stuff except for the longer lenghts that support 120hz projectors.

Your best for HDMI cable research is our forum dedicated to the topic of HDMI cables. Before posting you might find some previous discussions on the topic of 120Hz capable cables.

Go to advance search, use the title search only option (drop down below the search word window). Limit search words to one or two (120hz or 120 hz). Make sure the highlight the appropriate forum from the list to the right.

Ron

· Vendor
93 Posts
I'm not aware of any HDMI 1.3 category 2 cables that are certified beyond 25ft. If there were, Monoprice would sell it. So far our searches have come up empty.

rboster is correct, results will vary and depend greatly on the components that are being used.

As for 120hz displays, The idea that you need a cable that specifically has that bandwidth to support the 120hz feature is a fallacy used to sell overpriced cables.

Fact is, source devices play media that is recorded at 24fps, the frame rate of film. The NTSC standard which television is base on, on the other hand, is about 30hz (actually 29.97 fps). Progressive scan double the refresh rate to 60hz by drawing a complete frame with each pass rather than requiring two passes per frame. To get the films 24fps to match the NTSC''s 60 hz progessive refresh rate, devices uses a process called "3:2 pull-down." Every other frame is flashed 3 times and the other frames are flashed only twice. However this leads to a slight motion jitter due to the uneven exposure of the frames.

With a 120hz display, the TV takes the 60hz signal and doubles it to 120hz. The benefit of doubling the refresh rate is that the original 24fps goes into 120 evenly by 5. Meaning each frame is flashed 5 times per second. This leads to smoother motion in the video image.

So the signal passing through the cable is only 60hz. There are currently no source devices that send out a 120hz signal so there is no extra load on the cables bandwidth.

I've heard of displays having even higher frame rates lately, and I really don't undertand the benefit of those. For instance, if you have a display with a 240hz refresh rate so that each frame is flashed 10 time instead of 5, what does it matter if it's the exact same frame. If each of those frames were 10 slightly different frames showing progression of motion, then the higher rate would make sense. But if they are the same frame, it's showing a still picture that still jumps when you get to the next set of 10.

I think it's all just marketing. It's similar to the megapixel race in compact digital cameras. Professional reviewers reported that once the compact point and shoots got beyond the 7 or 8 megapixal range, the photo quality of cameras started to decline because putting more receptors on a sensor without making the overall sensor larger resulted in declining returns. But since it's easier for the average slogan spewing sales clerk to sell a 12mp camera than an 8mp camera, the companies keep increasing the resolution.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.