AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm totally stuck. I've read the reviews but just can't decide. Anything I should definetely avoid?

·
Registered
407 Posts
Since the Sony outputs 768P, you will be best served with a box that outputs 720P natively. There are a few. The first is the Panasonic, but it has a number of flaws. You can search this site for more info. The Samsung outputs 720P, but is not a satelite box. If you are looking for a DirecTV box, that will not work. Dish network's Echostar box outputs 720P. If Dish works for you, that would be your best choice. In addition, there is supposed to be a new box by Zenith released shortly that will output 720P (should have been released around April and the most recent updates on a relase date is anywhere from July to September). The Zenith looks great on paper, but so did the Panasonic.

I also have the Sony projector and decided that I didn't want to wait for the Zenith. I purchased the Mitsubishi box about 3 months ago. It's not perfect, but it works for me. The Mitsu, the Toshiba and the Hughes are essentially the same box. The all output 1080i and then convert to 720P for the projector. I've also heard very good things about the RCA, but it also outputs HD in 1080i. Since I don't have anything to compare it to, I don't know how much better a 720P native signal will look. One of the factors that went into my decision not to wait is the fact that most of the available programming is not is 720P.

Sorry to ramble on. Hope this helps.

-Brett

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by bsd:
Dish network's Echostar box outputs 720P. If Dish works for you, that would be your best choice.
Well, I could put another dish on the roof and go with the Echostar. Any problems I'd run into with that device and the 10HT? Wondering if the best bet is to wait for the Zenith since I already have some investment in DirecTV with my current PVR receiver?

·
Registered
4,113 Posts
Anyone who comments or has an HDTV STB in Dallas, TX needs to remember the following: the ABC affiliate in Dallas converts the network 720p->1080i for broadcast, so it does no good to have a native 720p anything. I used to hold out for the same thing (I have one of the only 720p direct-view HDTV's--Princeton), but I finally relented when buying the HD-100 and haven't looked back (NYPD Blue still looks great). It's ironic that the local WFAA affiliate--one of the biggest supporters of HDTV in Dallas--made two critical (in my opinion) errors up front:

1) Choose a VHF channel for broadcast (I think they're the only one in the country to do so)

2) Install equipment that forces them to "upconvert" the ABC feed from 720p->1080i (they may be one of the only ones to do that, also)

I'm sure there's some deeper meaning in all of this?!

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
GO BLUE-

First of all, I am envious of your "user name" (excellent). You would be well-served to purchase a copy (even a subscription) of this month's "Wide Screen Review" w/ articles by Gary Merson--this reviews the Sony AND the Mitsubishi (twin bro to the Toshiba). He also touches on the Panasonic and compares. Not a clear winner !

Get SOMETHING for Schembechler-sake, because CBS will broadcast their college football in HDTV this fall !

Regards and Go Blue !

WOLVERNOLE

·
Registered
734 Posts
Widescreen Review reviewed the Mits SR-HD5 and the Toshiba equivalent in their last issue. Stereophile Guide to Home Theater reviewed the SR-HD5 and the Sony SAT-HD100 in their current issue.

In each case, all three of them got good reviews. The Sony took the top recommendation in SGHT because it is the only STB to date with a digital display panel, which the reviewer really liked.

Bottom line, they all do a great job and the comment in SGHT was that both the SR-HD5 and the Sony STB are way better than the RCA DCT-100.

------------------

Tom

Sony SAT-T60 DirecTc>ic>Vc>oc> w/2.0.1

Sony SAN-24MD 24" elliptical dish

Mitsubishi SR-HD5 HD/DirecTV receiver

Mitsubishi WS-65907 RPTV

[This message has been edited by TomF (edited 06-29-2001).]

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
The Widescreen article also stated that the Panasonic did the best job of upconverting different sources. For me it's all about picture quality, so that's why I picked the Panasonic.

------------------

Steve

Visit our dedicated home theater, The City Cinema.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Hi, personally I like dish 600 better than Panasonic because it converts anything to anything just like pansonic but for less money and it has component and RGB output but not RF.I did not se them on 720p display but on 1080i sony direct 34" they both look same. And you get more HD programing from dish network. so I vote for "more for less"

best regards artur.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Steve13:
The Widescreen article also stated that the Panasonic did the best job of upconverting different sources. For me it's all about picture quality, so that's why I picked the Panasonic.

OK, now I'm back to confused. I was sold on the Zenith but now it's looking like Panasonic might be the right choice. I read earlier there are issues with the Panasonic, anything specific to the 10HT? Can I connect it with component connections?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I was sold on the Zenith, also. Unfortunately, I received an email from Zenith Customer Service today stating that their set top box was not projected to come out til late 4th quarter and possibly the first of next year! So now I have to start trying to figure out if the Mits-Tos, Sony, or Pan are the best. Did you read in the reviews about the ota copy-protection protocol some of these new receivers have that downgrade the resolution!! Don't know if the new Sony has that also??

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by bsd:
The first is the Panasonic, but it has a number of flaws. You can search this site for more info.
Could someone point me to the thread on the Panasonic or summarize the problems I would encounter?

·
Registered
779 Posts
I own a 10ht and after I bought a hd100 and returned it, I test drove a hte Mits/Tosh/Hughes and the Panny. The only real problem I had with the Panny was the user interface was dog slow. IMO it looked nice but it so slow it was down right unusable. When playing with it I kept over shooting and undershooting while the interfaces was updating the screen. I ended up ordering the Hughes but I am waiting to recieve it. It seemed to be the best comprise for my use and since it is the same box as the mits and tosh and it is about $200 cheaper it seemed to make sense. Now I have not hooked this box to my 10ht yet so take this input with a grain of salt.

FYI the variable mode on the hd100 just confuses the 10ht. When the box switched modes the projector would lose signal and I would have to change the input type on the projector. Things worked best when I just upconverted everything to 1080i.

Regards,

Brian

·
Registered
26 Posts
You will hear both good and bad on the Panny. I enjoy my unit, despite the flaws. I had to get my original replaced due to sound loss on digital sources. Their customer service is less than stellar. The picture quality is very good. You have to get up and go to the box to change the output resolution, versus from the remote. The fan is considered loud by some (most?) people. Software updates have made the program guide faster. Sometimes it takes a few seconds to lock onto oin OTA signal. As mentioned above, no signal level. So, you see, there is good and bad with the Panny. Check out the many older threads on the TUHDS20. Remember, it is early in the product lifecycle, so early adopter-itis is what many folks are experiencing.

LeeG

·
Registered
407 Posts
The other problem that people have complained about on the Panny is the lack of a signal meter.

-Brett

·
Registered
18 Posts
Issue #37 of "The Perfect Vision" has a great "shootout" comparison of 4 current generation settop boxes.

It lists the problems of the Panasonic TU-HDS20 as follows:

* No signal-strength meter for digital ATSC broadcasts

* Vertical blanking bars next to gray bars when upconverting native NTSC 4:3 programming

* Only one RF input (for cable, terrestrial signals)

* Cannot receive analog cable channels above 13 and ATSC(HD) signals at the same time

It lists the problems of the Sony SAT-HD100 as follows:

* 480i to 1080i upconversion has many artifacts

* No gray bars with upconversion of 4:3 materials

* No Advanced Program Guide local-channel information

* No 4:3 mode with HD signals

It's a great article by Gary Merson.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Lance said:

You have to get up and go to the box to change the output resolution, versus from the remote

why wouldnt you always keep it in the NATIVE mode on the panny?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.