AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, I know you are undoubtedly sick of this receiver vs this other receiver threads. But (SPOILER ALERT) this is another one.

I'm completely and utterly stuck between the Denon AVR790 and Pioneer VSX1019. I am so stuck, that it appears that I may have to make this decision based on a price difference of 10 dollars, and I'd HATE to do that on the brains of my HT setup.

Current Equip:

Fronts are Polk RT800is. Rears are RT600s. Center is CSI A6. Sub is a CS10.2 off chasehometheater.com. TV is Samsung ln55c650. I'll be running a Sony BDP300 and Xbox360 and Reg. Xbox into it.

My concerns:

-Just got a HK AVR254 and it immediately pooped out when I tried to run some HDMI input into it. Started reading owner threads and seems like this is the most buggy receiver ever, so I'm sending it back. Probably my number one concern with the receiver is RELIABILITY - primarily w/ HDMI issues. I ONLY want to run HDMI cords to and from it (and speaker wire of course) from anything I can.

-Sound. If there is any way anyone here can give me a heads up on how these will compare sound wise, that'd be great. I believe CNET is saying the pioneer sounds better, especially for deep bass accuracy and soundstage. The Denon has discrete amps for its channels whereas the Pioneer has a hybrid amp set up - don't know how this will affect anything, just stating a possibly-relevant fact. Seems to me that discrete amps would be better, don't know why the Pioneer is outsounding the Denon to cnet.

-Video processing. Pioneer is using the Faroudja while Denon uses an ABT processor that's supposed to be better. My only desires with video processing are to get my xbox regular looking ACCEPTABLE on my display. CNET says that the Denon displays video with a lot less jaggies than Pioneer. In their review of my TV, they say avoid all video processing so that the TV can handle it (because they like its video processing). So for A/B comparison I'd like to be able to TURN OFF the video processing. I can't seem to find info on whether this is possible on these two amps.

So the Denon has discrete amps and better video processing

CNET's saying the pioneer sounds better especially deep accuracy

If either of these cannot turn off the video upscaling/converting feature that might be a deal breaker to me. I'd really like to be able to run xbox into receiver via composite and have the receiver switch that to hdmi without changing it from 480i/p so the TV will still recognize to upconvert it.

My other option is this: Should I try to find a better sounding receiver with no video processing at all, completely rely on the TV? I say this b/c I feel like the avr will have fewer issues w/ hdmi if it's just passing them through, and issues are my number 1 concern. Any suggestions on something like this?

Thanks so much

Josh

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
may have gotten that backwards on the video processing chips. In fact, if the pioneer has the ABT chip, why is the denon getting better video processing reviews? I was under the impression that the ABT was better than the Faroudja.

Also the pioneer has a GUI rather than black/white text screen.

·
Registered
7,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacampb /forum/post/19562504

may have gotten that backwards on the video processing chips. In fact, if the pioneer has the ABT chip, why is the denon getting better video processing reviews? I was under the impression that the ABT was better than the Faroudja.

Also the pioneer has a GUI rather than black/white text screen.

The ABT is a better processor. And do NOT use CNET as a guide for audio/video equipment. Get the AVR that best suits your needs and do not worry about the video processor in it. You will be better off setting any of them to passthrough and letting your display do the processing. Choose one that has what you need/want for its connectivity,power,ease of use and reliability and you'll be good to go. You should also consider adding the Yamaha 1065 to this list. They are real bargains right now. Also the Denon 3310 is an excellent buy.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts