AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
10,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

I have arrived at owning a home with a large basement but I'm having trouble getting past the design stage of the theater.

My basement it approx 1000 square feet but it's riddled with utilities and support beams and I can't seem to find any room for my ht.

There's the well pump, the oil tank, the washer and dryer, the water boiler and such and these things are scattered about it such a way that I can't picture where my theater fits.

I thought I had a design worked out but I was wrong about the amount of clearence I needed for the boiler and now It's back to the drawing board.

I want to use some theater chairs that I got from a local theater and that's part of the problem. The chairs are only so comfortable so I don't want to put in multiple rows which I think would erode the comfort. With only one row of 5 I could have some type of automans which would help.

Anyway,.. I'm rambling. Can anyone picture a HT in this space (see attached pic)

Thanks and Good Luck,

Brian

· Registered
5,548 Posts
Brian,

What is wrong with the 9.5' section at the top of your diagram? That isn't a terribly wide theater but it can be made to work, esp. since you can do a side entrance door that way.

Shawn

· Registered
641 Posts
I have never figured out the whole post a picture portion of this forum so....

If your drawing is to scale, and if I am looking at it correctly, you have a possible room location to the right of the flu and below the support columns in the bottom right of your basement picture. It would appear to be about 11' wide by 15ish deep.... You could have a door right off the bottom of the stairs into the theater and another access door to get to the flu.

11x15 is not huge but many have build great things with much less.

· Registered
10,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sfogg,

I originally pictured the theater there. The basement is actually square and there is a stairway to the front deck in the cut out portion so... There would be a nice exit at the rear of the theater in case of fire.

The problem I have with the 9.5 foot spaceing is that I want to use theater chairs and have at least one chair in the theater in a hypothetical "sweet spot" so it should be centered and then.. there's not much room to get around the chairs unless it's rows of 2 perhaps.

E. Martin,

Your idea is the idea I had until today. I moved some plumbing and even built framing for the wall furthest from the stairs. I was gung ho until the heating company told me I need 2 feet from all sides of the boiler. With that in mind it's an L shaped room. I can't find my tape measure just now but I'll make a scale drawing taking into account the needs of the boiler and the row of chairs and see what it looks like.

That said.. Are L shaped rooms really bad acoustically? I don't have the best audio gear but I want to at least attempt to make a good acoustic room.

I do like this second idea beause It would involve finishing one side of the stairs and that would make the basement a little safer for my kids.

Oh yeah,.. And the flu cleanouts are under the stairs so there's no need to build in access to it.

-Brian

· Registered
5,548 Posts
Brian,

"The problem I have with the 9.5 foot spaceing is that I want to use theater chairs and have at least one chair in the theater in a hypothetical "sweet spot" so it should be centered and then.. there's not much room to get around the chairs unless it's rows of 2 perhaps."

Why not use the full 9.5' for the chairs and have them extended right up to the support poles. Built that side wall even with the foundation and use the space between that wall and the support poles as the isle to get to the second row of seats.

That space would also be a good place to have DVD shelves or your equipment rack or whatever.

Shawn

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.