AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought an HVR-1800 and just got it installed yesterday.

Got the latest kernel (2.6.24) downloaded and installed.

I will give it a go with mythTV tonight and see how it does.

Mainly I'm interested in the QAM side of the card - as I've already got a PVR150 in this particular system.

·
Registered
568 Posts
well how did it go? If the firmware is loaded correctly you should see it available under dvb cards in mythtv-setup when adding a dvb tuner

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Installing it went very smoothly. Myth found the dvb (ASTC/QAM) side easily.

Recording however, is a bit problematic. I may have a bad splitter or something else giving me a weaker than expected signal - but that will take some time to chase down. Some stations tune just fine - other don't (they go in and out).

This is currently a "backup" to my main myth machine - so I may tinker with OTA/8vsb tuning as well.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Overall I'm very pleased. The tuner seems to perform on a par with my pchdtv 3000, but does so in a x1 PCI-express card.

On the subject of tuning performance - so far the best card I've worked with is the airstar technisat hd5000. This hauppauge card doesn't tune as well as the airstar does.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Put together a new mythtv backend on the weekend with a PVR-150 and HVR-1800. Using Debian stable with necessary package upgrades to allow use of 2.6.24 kernel. Machine is a Dell Inspiron 531. Using native 2.6.24 modules/drivers.

Both HVR-1800 and PVR-150 seem to be working fine. Using HVR-1800 for ATSC only. Did not encounter any real problems. I'm both surprised and happy.

FWIW, for sport I did a QAM scan on my cable and a number of stations were detected. Since I know that the vast majority are music with a couple of SD quality, crappy content TV I didn't pursue this any further.

Special thanks to gov_coder for recounting his experiences and giving me the incentive to give the HVR-1800 a try (there's a dearth of info on real-world Linux experiences with this card).

·
Registered
115 Posts
Ran across this thread in a google search, so figured I'd throw my two cents in.

Currently running a HVR-1800 as my only (for now) ATSC OTA tuner on Ubuntu Hardy alpha 6, with a SVN (i.e. alpha/beta/whatever) version of mythtv 0.21. Works great!

One thing to note is that for some reason mythtv's status bar always shows a signal strength of 0%. That's an annoyance rather than anything serious, as reception is juuuust fine! (The signal quality level DOES work.)

My only real problem is that I can't tune in CBS, but that's more of a problem with WBBM's crappy frequency assignment than anything else. (Changing after the DTV transition, yaaayyyyy!) I could get one of those 6 foot by 8 foot VHF monster antennas, but I much prefer the size of my db2; almost disappears on the side of the house! I can live without CBS until they hop frequencies.

Anyway, the bottom line is except for the 'zero signal strength' bug, the hvr-1800 works great for MythTV.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can confidently recommend the hvr-1800 for ATSC use in mythTV.

Tuning performance is on par with my pchdtv3000 card. Not as good as the airstar hd5000, though.

Using myth 20.2 - stable - I've had no crashes on the back or frontend with this card.

The combined myth backend/frontend consists of the following components:

1) athlon 64 - am2 2.4 ghz dual core (4800)

2) 2 gigs of ddr 667

3) 2 sata drives totaling 460+gigs

4) nvidia propertietary drivers (not using xvmc though in myth)

5) mepis linux 6.5x (debian based)

6) sony f900 gdm monitor at 1280x720 60hz

CPU usage with simultaneous recording, commercial stripping and frontend viewing HD rises to about 50% - but chugs along nicely.

Although this is my backup to my primary myth backend - I use it fairly frequently (every 2 or three days). Wife has been taking over the primary backend...

·
Registered
10 Posts
We've established that the HVR-1800 performs like a champ for ATSC. So my question is does anyone have experience with it for analog? I'd like to be able to ditch my PVR-150 and thus free up a PCI slot. However, I'm reluctant to spend hours experimenting with it just to find out it doesn't work. So recounts of any experiences (positive or negative) would be appreciated.

On a somewhat related note, any experiences with the HVR-1600 and analog would also be appreciated, as I have one of those as well (and I really want to ditch the PVR-150).

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
According to the v4l-dvb wiki, it uses the cx23385/7 driver for analog:
http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.ph...WinTV-HVR-1800

The latest from the v4l-dvb repository has this in it (/linux/drivers/media/video/cx23885/):
Code:
Code:
75     [CX23885_BOARD_HAUPPAUGE_HVR1800] = {

76         .name        = "Hauppauge WinTV-HVR1800",

77         .porta        = CX23885_ANALOG_VIDEO,

78         .portb        = CX23885_MPEG_ENCODER,

79         .portc        = CX23885_MPEG_DVB,

80         .tuner_type    = TUNER_PHILIPS_TDA8290
http://linuxtv.org/hg/v4l-dvb/file/2...x23885-cards.c

·
Registered
276 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbr439 /forum/post/14500868

We've established that the HVR-1800 performs like a champ for ATSC. So my question is does anyone have experience with it for analog? I'd like to be able to ditch my PVR-150 and thus free up a PCI slot. However, I'm reluctant to spend hours experimenting with it just to find out it doesn't work. So recounts of any experiences (positive or negative) would be appreciated.

On a somewhat related note, any experiences with the HVR-1600 and analog would also be appreciated, as I have one of those as well (and I really want to ditch the PVR-150).

I am currently setting up a new Mint-5/Myth system using two HVR-1600 cards for a co-worker. I followed the installation directions from here: http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Hauppauge_HVR-1600 . The driver & firmware seem to be working. I am currently receiving analog cable signals from the first card only. I'm not sure if this is from my setup error or a driver issue. I will report back after some more tweaking.

I stumbled across this link http://ubuntu-virginia.ubuntuforums....d.php?t=850841 and I seem to be having the Nvidia driver conflict that the author describes how to fix. Could someone please give me specific directions on how to fix this video driver conflict?

TIA

·
Registered
276 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwisher /forum/post/14562437

I am currently setting up a new Mint-5/Myth system using two HVR-1600 cards for a co-worker. I followed the installation directions from here: http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Hauppauge_HVR-1600 . The driver & firmware seem to be working. I am currently receiving analog cable signals from the first card only. I'm not sure if this is from my setup error or a driver issue. I will report back after some more tweaking.

I stumbled across this link http://ubuntu-virginia.ubuntuforums....d.php?t=850841 and I seem to be having the Nvidia driver conflict that the author describes how to fix. Could someone please give me specific directions on how to fix this video driver conflict?

TIA

Any info on the HVR-1600 or HVR-1800 working with analog? I need to purchase another tuner card and I would rather not buy another Kworld-115 since two of these cards do not work in the same system...that is only one analog tuner will work.

TIA

·
Registered
276 Posts
Found a Hauppauge HVR-1800 today at a local PC repair shop for $49. Installed the card and I don't believe the drivers are being loaded.

lspci returns:

Code:
Code:
02:00.0 Multimedia video controller: Conexant Unknown device 8880 (rev 0f)
uname -r:

Code:
Code:
2.6.24-23-generic
I thought support for this card was added to the kernel? Can someone please supply some help?

TIA

·
Registered
276 Posts
Paging gov_coder.....paging gov_coder..... hehe

Seriously though,

Anyone using this card? Can someone provide detailed instructions on how to get it working? I've followed what few how-to's I could find with Google with no success.

TIA

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
The usual method for more recent hardware is this:

Install latest stable kernel (2.6.28.7)

Download and compile the latest drivers from the V4l-DVB Mercurial repository.

http://www.linuxtv.org/repo/

Read the "Checkout V4L-DVB or DVB apps" section. If you can't update the kernel, at least update the drivers. Then read this from the wiki. It looks as if you need to install firmware too.

http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Ha...WinTV-HVR-1800

·
Registered
276 Posts
I have never manually compiled a kernel. Other than that, I believe I did the other steps. I will probably just hold on to this card until support is "out-of-the-box".

Today, I even installed Mint-6/Intrepid. Not only couldn't I get the HVR-1800 card working, my Kworld-115 would not work. So I am back to Mint-5/Hardy with my Kworld for now.

·
Registered
276 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead /forum/post/16044502

Compile a kernel? Just install the latest with apt. Then install the latest drivers.

Please post the exact apt line and I will give it a try.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Since I don't know what version Of Linux you have installed, an exact command could be a bit difficult. It looks like you are running Ubuntu, so you can update the entire system with these commands.
Code:
Code:
sudo apt-get update
That one updates the lists of files in the repository, this one will upgrade the entire system to the latest packages.
Code:
Code:
sudo apt-get upgrade
Or you could just run the Synaptic Package Manager GUI and look for a newer kernel.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Ok.....Yes I do as exactly as you posted when installing my operating system. I thought you meant to compile a kernel that was newer than what was available in the repo's. I use Linux Mint-5, which is based off of Hardy. The latest kernel available for it is 2.6.24-23-generic.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts