AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently own a 37" HDTV, a PS3 and Wii, and a Sony 5.1 surround sound system package with 2 fronts, 2 rears, and a sub. I also have 2 sets of bookshelf speakers and my plan is to use those as from speakers and use my fronts as the side speakers for the 7.1 setup.

I want a receiver that will last me as long as possible.... i.e.... as future proof as possible. I would like to not spend more than $500 and would prefer spending much less than $500 if possible.

Suggestions? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
If you want a 7.1 receiver I suggest you buy a 7.1 receiver.

Seriously though, there are a ton of threads touting various receivers. Some are easier to set-up, some have more features, some owners of particular brands claim poor customer service and on and on and on.

·
Registered
125 Posts
From someone else shopping for a reasonably priced receiver, you definitely need to give more details. There are quite a few options for decent 7.1 receivers that won't break the bank. Try searching for a thread titled something like "best sub 400 receiver"

·
Registered
646 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbjectEvolution /forum/post/15541923

I'll check that, thanks.

What kind of details do you need?

I watch Blu-Ray movies and play PS3 games on my TV mostly.

Tons of info in the thread stated above. Search through it because it is a lot of information but everything you will need is there. For a tentative list the Denon 788 will do the basic needs. It will not decode the new codecs for you but your ps3 can do that for you and send the audio via pcm to your receiver. It only has 2 HDMI inputs but it looks like you only need 1. It can be had for around the low $300 range. If you want a little more bang for your buck and more bells and whistles check out the Harman Kardon 254. Great receiver with 3 HDMI inputs and will decode everything out there. It will need to have a firmware update since it had previous problems with working with the ps3 but this can be done easily with you home computer.

Also Pioneer has a new lineup of receivers coming out in April that look to offer a TON of bang for buck if you can wait. Look through the thread and if you somehow still have questions let us know in the thread and we will be happy to anwser.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll read it now. I'm kinda looking at the Onkyo 606.

7.1 adds a center rear speaker to the mix, correct? Should I just buy a center channel speaker for that? Can I move my rear speakers to the sides of the room and use the rear center as the rear section?

·
Registered
170 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbjectEvolution /forum/post/15542128

7.1 adds a center rear speaker to the mix, correct? Should I just buy a center channel speaker for that? Can I move my rear speakers to the sides of the room and use the rear center as the rear section?

Someone just posted an Onkyo 605 for sale in that receiver's thread.

7.1 adds two rears to the mix, not one. One center, two fronts, two sides, two rears and a sub.

·
Registered
125 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbjectEvolution /forum/post/15542128

I think you are thinking of 6.1...7.1 as already stated is two front, 1 center, 2 side, 2 rear and a sub

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have been doing some research on this myself.

The Yamaha RX-V663BL Receiver seems like a very good unit.

http://electronics.pricegrabber.com/...ha%20rx%20v663

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/r...yamaha-rx-v663

http://ultimateavmag.com/avreceivers/608yam663/

The major Con to this unit is that the reviewers comment that it will not upconvert 480P video to a higher resolution.

"The V663 converts all analog video (component, S-video, and composite) to digital and outputs the signal via HDMI. It also deinterlaces 480i to 480p, but it doesn't do any upscalingthe resolution that comes in is the resolution that goes out. Any upscaling must be done by the video display or an external video processor. "

I do not know if other simliar priced models with upscale 480P signals?

I just thought I would pass this information on to you. I am considering buying this unit myself.

The store selling it for $342 needs to confirm that it is a full warranty product!

There may be more information on this unit on this AVS forum too...

Good luck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts