AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I apologize if this topic is not in the correct forum, I'm just taking a stab at where it might belong, and where I might get the best help. I just bought and setup a new Epson powerlite home 1080 for my theater room. I'll give a bit of background on how everything is hooked up, just in case that helps any.

Currently I have 3 components plugged in to my amp (which is an Onkyo TX-SR575).

Component-1 is my DirecTV DVR connected to the amp through S-Video

Component-2 is my PS3 connected to the amp through a component cable

Component-3 is my xbox360 connected to the amp through a component cable

The amp is then connected to the projector with a component cable for all my video devices. I went through and set the image settings on both the 360 and the ps3 to 1080, widescreen aspect. When the settings took effect, the menu display on both machines went edge-to-edge on both top and bottom of the screen on my 16x9 wilsonart screen, with the aspect ration on the projector set to "normal". I figured I was good to go, since it looked perfect.

Now here is my issue, when I go to play a movie, either DVD or blue-ray, I have to manually select the "full" aspect ratio on the projector, and the projector will then display the image edge-to-edge on the left and right, but I end up with huge borders on the top and bottom. I've tried switching the different aspect ratios manually on the projector, but the other settings make people look fat, or you get that stretched look, and it still won't go fully top to bottom. I understand that some movies are not REALLY 16x9, but rather 1x2.35 or who knows what else. Even with this, I wasn't expecting the black bars on top and bottom to be this big. It feel like I'm losing a lot of real estate on my screen. I believe that one thing that may help a bit, is to use an HDMI cable so the projector will auto-switch to the correct aspect ration, but I haven't tested that yet.

Am I missing something? I feel like a complete noob to all this, but I'm hoping that someone here can shed some light on this. Again, I'm assuming this is a projector issue, not a device issue with my components.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
There's some setup you will need to do on your receiver to get the right results. Look on page 38 of your manual.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unless I'm missing something, page 38 for my onkyo simply describes how to assign the correct video input for the component button on the receiver, which i've done. I can see all the different devices on the screen when the correct component button is pushed, but just not the right aspect ratio when playing a movie.

Thanks for your quick reply!

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
If you don't configure it correctly, the composite / s-video signal does not get upconverted and you could wind up sending the wrong format out. Reread the config page to make sure that much is correct.

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Just for reference -

From page 23:

For TX-SR575

Video equipment can be connected to the AV receiver by

using any one of the following video connection formats:

composite video, S-Video, or component video, the latter

offering the best picture quality.

Composite video to S-Video and S-Video to composite
video conversion only applies to the MONITOR OUT V

and S outputs, not the VCR/DVR OUT V and S outputs.

From page 38:

Component Video Setup (TX-SR575 only)

If you connect a video component to a COMPONENT

VIDEO IN, you must assign that input to an input selector.

For example, if you connect your DVD player to

COMPONENT VIDEO IN 3, you must assign CMPNT

DVD setting to IN3.

If you want to output composite video and S-Video

sources from the COMPONENT VIDEO OUT, select

Upcnv.

IN1:

Select if the video component is connected to

COMPONENT VIDEO IN 1.

IN2:

COMPONENT VIDEO IN 2.

IN3:

COMPONENT VIDEO IN 3.

Upcnv:

Select to upconvert and output composite

video or S-Video sources from the COMPONENT

VIDEO OUT.
Note:

TX-SR575 only

: When IN1, IN2, or IN3 is selected, the

composite video to S-Video and S-Video to composite

video conversions do not work.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I see what you're saying, but the upconversion from s-video to component is working just fine for my DVR. It's the component connection from the two game consoles that don't seem to be sending the right aspect ratio, using a component connection, not composite.

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Ok, just making sure the s-video connection is not messing with the other connections.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I guess my next step will be to hook the HDMI cable directly from the PS3 to the projector bypassing the receiver, and see if that makes any difference. If the image works correctly, then the problem is with the receiver.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts