AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed a NEC 50XM3/A Plasma. Any image that i put up on the Plasma will still be visable even after I turn the Image off. I know that this will usually happed if one picture is left on for a long period but it is happening here from images that are only on for about 10 seconds. I will turn on my dvd player and it takes me to a startup page. I turn off the DVD player and there is still an trace of the startup screen. I talked to NEC and they said that there have not been any complaints. Has anyone else noticed this problem on the 50XM3/A or should I get it repaired. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
image retention is not the same as image burn-in. burnin is permanent. watch your tv normally, vary the programming, reduce the brightness some. use the white screen if available. all will be well.

·
Registered
798 Posts
The first 100 hrs or so is where phosphors are most susceptible to image retention and burn in. As Joel states you are seeing some image retention, not to worry it will subside. Turn down you contrast and adjust your picture settings, you should be fine.

Once you regain your normal train of thought, let us know what you think of your new plasma!!

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by novo2
I just installed a NEC 50XM3/A Plasma. Any image that i put up on the Plasma will still be visable even after I turn the Image off. I know that this will usually happed if one picture is left on for a long period but it is happening here from images that are only on for about 10 seconds. I will turn on my dvd player and it takes me to a startup page. I turn off the DVD player and there is still an trace of the startup screen. I talked to NEC and they said that there have not been any complaints. Has anyone else noticed this problem on the 50XM3/A or should I get it repaired. Thanks for any help.
Did you calibrate it using a calibration disk (Avia, eg)? Try turning down the brightness. I am not sure about the NEC, but on my panny there are various settings (eg normal, dynamic, cinema, etc). The differences are startling, for example "Dynamic" on the Panny puts the brightness up to 30, on a scale of -30 to 30. You should be able to adjust the brightness in the setup menu of the plasma itself.

Plasmas, generally, are shipped with the brightness turned up. Depending on your scale, I would think that a setting of middle to under middle setting would work well. You may find, at first, it to be too dark...don't worry you'll get used to it.

It will take a few hundred hours for the phosphors to "set in", then recalibrate and I think you will be very happy with your set.

Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hi novo,

A buddy in town has this unit. We watched Aliens: Contrast / brightness were adjusted properly, but the effect you describe was immediately noticeable. The text from the copyright screen and opening titles was readable minutes later in dark scenes. My NEC 42VP4 has never done this. Owning one, and having watched quite a few different plasmas in B&Ms, what we saw I would not characterize as normal image retention. It's not burn-in as Joel points out as it goes away after about 30 minutes of black screen, but that's not much fun to watch.

He's carefully calibrated the unit: Somewhat better but not resolved. I think he's contacting NEC... If I hear anything further I'll let you know.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.