AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a Panasonic TC-P60GT50. I turned it on today and suddenly the screen is much more dim and it appears to flash lightly like it wants to go out. While it is on it fluctuates from almost completely black to almost watchable. Yesterday when I turned it off it was working perfectly.

I bought this TV on 1/24/2013 from Best Buy. They have already told me they will not cover it and I need to contact Panasonic. I tried calling Panasonic but they are closed at the moment (first time i turned it on today was after work). I looked online and it appears they only cover the TV for a year?!!

Has anyone on this forum experienced this issue before and perhaps there is a simple fix? I tried restoring all factory defaults via the menu and the issue persists. Of course I will contact Panasonic tomorrow but I am pretty worried since I am barely a month past the one year mark.

Since I am in a bit of a panic due to the fact that this possible expense couldn't hit me at a worse time; I'm hoping someone on here can help. Does someone know what it could be? Or do you have experience with Panasonic and if they cover issues after one year?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
69 Posts

That sounds bad man, I'd guess the panel may be on the way out but I don't really know.  The good news is that if you calmly explain the situation to Panasonic being just a month outside the warranty window they may try to work with you.  Just don't be a jerk (at least at first), be respectful and courteous but firm in that you believed they would stand behind their product and that you bought a Panasonic because they were supposed to be the best.  If you encounter a bad representative ask to speak to their boss and so on.  If they continue to stonewall then it may be time to start turning up the heat but generally a company will try to do what they can to maintain customer loyalty.

Maybe some tech guys can give you some hope about the panel...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much for your reply, I will definitely make note of your suggestions.

Minor update:

When watching basketball it is almost normal. When the screen is mostly the light colored wood court, it looks ok (but not quite normal). As soon as the angle switches to a player at the free throw line and you can see the crowd, it looks terrible again (dim, dark patches going completely across, slight flashing).

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Spoke to Panasonic this morning. They will not cover it; I even spoke to a Supervisor.

They mentioned that if I have a tech write up an assessment and send it to them, they "may" help with some costs. I called the Tech they referred me to and he is scheduled to come out tomorrow. The Tech did say that Panasonic tends to still cover parts but will not pay for any labor or other fees.

I'm really disappointed with this product. My only hope is that one the receive the assessment I'll have another opportunity to make my case.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
UPDATE:

Really odd. Came home from work and it is back to normal.

recap:

Wednesday turn TV off for the night (everything normal)

Thursday come home from work, turn on TV and screen looks terrible.

Friday morning image still terrible. Called Panasonic, checked seriel number on back & called technician from work.

Turn on TV after coming home and it is back to normal!

I'm stumped. I delayed appointment with technician since I'm paying out of pocket. Hate to have him come when there is no issue. The issue was definitely the TV and not a peripheral since it occurred even when nothing was connected to the TV and navigating through the menu.

can any diagnostics be done with it looking normal again? I'd hate to let more time pass only for the issue to return.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts