AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I'm new to CIH. I currently have a 106" 1.78:1 fixed frame screen. I'm quite happy with the size for 16x9 movies at 14' away.

I currently have this unfinished space,

I'm looking at building this front stage with a 125" 2.35:1 screen and using the zoom method (new projector in the future)

By my calculation the over spill when I'm zoomed in for 2.35:1 will be 8" on top and bottom? Or am I off?

I'm looking for suggestions for masking below the screen at the top part of the cabinets or is there another way?

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Another question for you audio experts, will my sound get compromised with my speakers getting pushed into the corners?

There will be approximately 8" clearance around the backs and sides.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I just moved to a CIH screen using the zoom method. After using my new setup, I am certain you want your design to allow you to have the most absorbing surface you can get above and below the screen. I used the blackest velvet I could find.

If you have a lighter surface that the overflow hits, you're going to see it. Some people find a slightly lighter surface acceptable, I don't happen to.

If you want to do some testing, I wonder if you can't zoom your current projector to simulate the new setup, then put some objects in the over flow area and see how it turns out. Different folks have different tolerance levels for such things.

EDIT: In looking further at your pics, I got to wondering if you have considered putting an acoustical transparent screen in front of the speakers and using a black wall around it similar to what you have.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good idea to do a trial run with it. I could even just paint a panel black and raise it up into the black bars to see how much it bothers me.

To use a AT screen I would need to bring it forward about 28" to get my current speakers behind it comfortably. I feel that brings the screen much too close to my main seating position.

Thanks for the suggestions.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I roughly mapped out the new stage front and placed my speaker.

The back right corner is 8" from the side wall, the back left corner is 14" away from the back wall, and the front right corner is 16" from the side wall.

I'll have to test it but I'm guessing my sound shouldn't be too compromised?

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
When I moved the L/R speakers in my setup further apart to accommodate the scope screen and increased toe-in I didn't notice much, if any, change in sound. With the space around the speakers in your picture my guess would be you should be fine sound wise. As far as overspill being noticeable. On my flat, dark red, walls the overspill from my RS46 is not detectable. How much you will see the overspill will depend on the color and finish of the surface as well as the black floor of the projector. Obviously flat black like in your current setup will be the safest choice. The stage setup you are proposing would need 8" minimum of overspill matting, I'd probably add an inch or two just to have some wiggle room. The other question is how the stage would effect sound. I would think enclosing the front speakers even with AT panels would color sound more than simply re-positioning them.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the input.

Everything will be black up front, inspired from The Cinemar Home Theater.

I do expect I may lose a few db with the speakers behind AT panels but if I can use something close to speaker grill material I'm thinking the sound wouldn't change too much.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm in a bit of a pinch as I only have 87" from the stage floor to the ceiling and I want to be able to upgrade my sub in the future. So I have to build the stage front at a minimum of 25" high to accommodate that.

I also can't have the screen too high for the projector.

I appreciate all your input as this is still my planning phase to see if I can make this work.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts