AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm running an AIW 8500 with DVI to Component adapter.

All I get on my 27" JVC TV is 640x480 with about 1" minimum cut off on each side of the image.

I'm a little new to all of this, do you have any recommendations of what I should try?

Until now, I have turned all of the doggle dip switches on and have just been trying different resolutions.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
You might try to go into your display properties, and hit the advanced button. In it hit the display tab. Some versions of the ATI drivers allow you to setup the display as "Optimized"... which squeezes in the overscan a bit when you use the component dongle.

But the best method... but the most difficult... is to use PowerStrip.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
At this point, I'm willing to go with any solution...

I'll do a search here, but I haven't used powerstrip before. Please point me in the right direction if you think I'll have trouble with something in particular. I'll post my results.

Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I belive the 8500's need the dongle to be mounted in the vga output to work properly. The 9xxx models output from the dvi port.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello,

I have a Radeon 8500DV hooked up to my RCA Scenium HD61W140 TV with the dongle (also directly DVI to DVI/HDCP).

I had the exact same problem as you have I fixed it by doing 3 things.

1. Install the latest Catalyst driver (3.2)

2. Install Powerstrip you can find it on the net.

3. Use this guide for timings and resolutions it worked perfectly for me:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=206854

I cant recommend that guide enough.

I have successfully used the timings for 480p 540p and 1080i.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm still having some trouble. I am going to read the tutorial a couple more times, because this is really my first exposure to this kind of stuff (I don't know what anything means).

I don't really understand what my TV can support (27" JVC AV-27S33). I know it supports 480i, obviously. It is just a standard TV with component inputs. From the ATI advanced display settings, should I only enable 480i and 480p?

From the tutorial you linked to, what custom resolutions should I be trying. I don't understand some of the terminology, but I'm dedicated to getting this to work, even if it is by extreme trial and error. I'll do some more reading on this site too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello,

The TV you have only supports 480i (480p is for HDTVs) so I would only try any timings that you can find for 480i. At 480i I don't think there will be too many resolutions you can try.

·
Registered
936 Posts
For outputting to a regular TV (like your JVC) you should be using 640x480 since that's all your TV can show. If it has component inputs, that may just be a marketing gimmick. Yes, you get better color separation (or is b/w separation??) but it's so much easier to use the S-Video output on your videocard!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.