AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

Sorry if this is the wrong area to post this, but I didn't know whether to put it into the projectors section or the LCD section, as it deals with both equally. I figured, though, that in the LCD section there might be more people who have less experience with BOTH forms of display technology than there would be in the projectors section. If I goofed and there's a better section, sorry!

Anyway, I've got about $500 to spend (can go up or down $150 or so if I must, but would prefer not to.) I'm trying to decide between a projector or an LCD flatscreen. I don't require an enormous projected image, and intend to view the projection from relatively nearby, perhaps 3-6 feet, attempting to simulate a front-row theater experience in the confines of my small one-room flat.

I was just curious how the image quality of the two display technologies will compare at my price point. I don't mind buying used equipment, I should mention.

At my price point, will one reproduce images with much greater clarity and fidelity to the source material than will the other? Or are they about equal?

Thanks very much, bye!

·
Registered
935 Posts
The key thing to remember is that in order to watch a projector, the room has to be relatively dark. If you intend to use this in a well lit room, the choice is clear, buy an LCD. But nothing beats the truly big screen feel of a projector. You also have to take into account that if you're going to be watching this all the time, you're going to go through lamps at $250 to 400 each. They usually last around 2000-3000 hours depending upon how you use them. If you end up watching an average of 6 hours per day, that's a new lamp every year.

Quality wise, at your price point, a decent (used or recently discontinued) DLP projector will throw the best picture in a darkened room. But if you're watching during the day, the LCD will be miles ahead of the projector. In some instances, the projector will simply be unwatchable, in others, it will look OK, but not be nearly as good as the LCD.

Jim

·
Registered
857 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedumbhead /forum/post/14329993

Hi!

Sorry if this is the wrong area to post this, but I didn't know whether to put it into the projectors section or the LCD section, as it deals with both equally. I figured, though, that in the LCD section there might be more people who have less experience with BOTH forms of display technology than there would be in the projectors section. If I goofed and there's a better section, sorry!

Anyway, I've got about $500 to spend (can go up or down $150 or so if I must, but would prefer not to.) I'm trying to decide between a projector or an LCD flatscreen. I don't require an enormous projected image, and intend to view the projection from relatively nearby, perhaps 3-6 feet, attempting to simulate a front-row theater experience in the confines of my small one-room flat.

I was just curious how the image quality of the two display technologies will compare at my price point. I don't mind buying used equipment, I should mention.

At my price point, will one reproduce images with much greater clarity and fidelity to the source material than will the other? Or are they about equal?

Thanks very much, bye!

At 3 to 6 ft. I would go with an lcd. Don't think a projector makes a lot of sense in a space as small as you inicate.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi, thanks for your reply!

I will be watching in a room with minimal ambient light; it will not be pitch-dark, but it will be just light enough for me to be able to see my surroundings and find my way around in a room. Pretty much like the level of ambient light in your average movie theater.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I recall the rule-of-thumb is your sitting distance needs to be at least 1.5 time your screen size. IMO - three to six feet eyeballs to screen not a good idea and whether you choose DLP or LCD projector you will be too close to perceive optimum image quality.

I watch a lot of dvd movies in a dim room and only now and then do we make the room totally dark so dim light can be okay and the image still allows a WOW home theater experience.

How big a screen image are you going to have? If around 60 inches then you are better off with a TV. TVs made to work in most all kinds of light while projectors limited to dark rooms. Only reason we have a projector is we want at least a 120 inch diagonal image and no tv available today can give us that BUT if we could buy affordably a 10 ft tv we would just have a tv.

Our Bottom Line is we have a 56inch LCoS HD tv for regular tv and casual movie watching - the projector is for when we want to go WOW with Home Theater. Take my word that if you have a 10 ft diagonal movie image and are sitting 12 to 13 feet away the screen will be plenty "front row" experience for you.

Finally, my experience tells me you will want a projector with a digital input and your budget will cause you to buy used OR buy business format projector. There are business format projectors that are equipped with a dual mode image processor that will do a good job with movies - we have one as a back up and outdoor projector made by Canon and it throws a great movie image. Anyway with a large projected movie image and sitting close to the screen as you describe you will at the least need an upconverting dvd player and 1280X720 native aspect ratio (16:9) or 1024X768 native aspect ratio (business format 4:3) and either way a digital input a must have so the pj will connect to up converted dvd output via HDMI or DVI.

goodluck

·
Registered
7,140 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedumbhead /forum/post/14329993

Hi!

Thanks very much, bye!

Common sense dictates if your budget can only afford one, the TV is the way to go. Down the road when your budget and environment allows you'll love the augmentation.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts