Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I am still in the planning stages of my HT and I am still trying to decide which one to go with, a HTPC or a good stand-alone processor, such as a Rock or Rock+. If I go with the HTPC, then I won't be able to process my Laser Disc movies. I was wondering, for those who are using a good processor, what quality of image are you getting from your LD movies? These would be viewed on an 80†wide screen, using an NEC 9pg plus projector. I have over a 150 LDs that I have not even viewed yet and it would be a shame to waste them. However, at the same if the image quality is significantly less, then would I even need to concern myself with a high quality processor and just use a HTPC and not bother with the LDs?

BTW, I posted this message here because I wanted the opinions of those who are using a crt projector and large screen.

Thank you for any help you can provide me.

Don

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
My moderate sized LD collection (around 300 titles) simply sits on the shelf since DVD. On a 50 inch screen, the LD's looked great. On a 80 inch wide screen, they look downright painful to the eye once one is spoiled by how good DVD and HD look. LD just looks blurred and noisy by comparison. Colors aren't as sharp or vibrant. Amazing how something which was so recently the videophile's choice now looks so poor by comparison.

With a smaller screen they would look great, but at the size you anticipate (and should anticipate) LD just isn't up to par any more.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
I have a large collection of ld's, and with a Pioneer HLD-X9 and a Faroudja NRS they look very good on my 80" wide screen.

Per Johnny Ødegaard

·
Registered
134 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by starscomeout
If I go with the HTPC, then I won't be able to process my Laser Disc movies.
This is definately not true. I use a HTPC to scale my laserdiscs to be shown on a Sony 1272 FP. The SVHS from the laserdisc player goes to the HTPC via a booktree based framegrabber card (e.g. Hauppauge WinTV series) and is scaled using the dScaler program.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Henrik, thanks so much for the tip on dscaler, I was looking for precisely that kind of software. ¡Gracias!

-David

·
Registered
181 Posts
I would build the HTPC and include a capture card based on the bt8xx series capture chips. These are very popular and can be found for as little as $50. This will allow you to run the laserdisc into the PC and use dScaler to scale/deinterlace the image and should provide a good picture.

You'll also want to go with the HTPC because that will decode the dvd directly to the output of the video card on your computer for the best possible signal. If you go with a dedicated scaler, you will be processing the analog signal that comes out of your dvd player and that is not as clean as doing the scaling in the digital domain.

- Brian

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Don,

Another possibility is to use a video card such as an Asus AGP-V7700 Delux GeForce2GTS that has an external video input right on the video card.

I connected my old laser disk player to mine and sent a re-scaled image out to my 114" wide screen. It's not dvd quality, but it's not that bad either. I still watch them occassionally.

With laser disks the image is about the same going thru an external scaler, or thru the HTPC. As was mentioned, the HTPC has the edge for digital domain processing of the onboard dvd player however.

Ray

·
Registered
287 Posts
Hello David and fellow enthusiasts,

Quote:
Originally posted by Henrik

This is definately not true. I use a HTPC to scale my laserdiscs to be shown on a Sony 1272 FP. The SVHS from the laserdisc player goes to the HTPC via a booktree based framegrabber card (e.g. Hauppauge WinTV series) and is scaled using the dScaler program.
If you want to go more esoteric than the Win TV series of card there is Ken (KBK) who modifies Zoltrix capture cards. There is also another capture card called the IDS Falcon who are at http://www.ids-imaging.de .

I am also an avid laserdisc user. I've just upgraded my LD player to a CLD-99 from a European CLD-D925 and the improvement is startling. My LD's look almost as good as my anamorphic DVD's on my Sony DVP-S7700. There is a proviso here. I'm running a Vidikron VPF-40SE which is only a video grade projector (don't laugh, I've had it 5 years from new and it's never given me a minutes trouble) on an 8ft X 6ft screen. I'm looking at upgrading to a higher res projector (right now an NEC LT-150 looks favourite) and I'll be loking at using either a HTCP for DVD with DScaler or building just a DScaler machine that will take the input from my LD and DVD players and work as a dedicated scaler (like a poor man's Rock). For me the $200 - $300 that the IDS costs is cheap if the quality improvment over a WIN TV card is what it's cracked up to be.

I hope this helps.

Regards and best wishes,

Dave

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone for your kind help. I was in the process of purchasing parts to build a HTPC, but was not sure if this would be capable of scaling my LDs, you have shown me otherwise. I have purchased a lot of the LDs this past year since they had become so cheap due to them being cleared out everywhere. I had purchased a lot of titles for $2 and $3 each :cool:. These are so so titles that I would probably never have purchased on DVD, but for these prices I figured why not.

I think I will go ahead with the HTPC, and nothing lost if I later decide to go with a Rock+ since I needed to upgrade my home office PC anyways.

Best Regards:),

Don

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.