AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am fairly new to the world of DLP projectors and was wondering how the picture quality compares to a rear projection large screen TV? I have a 55" rear projection TV and am just starting to look into a DLP front projector. I am hoping to view movies at around 100" or so. I'm mainly interested in the quality of DVD movies and DSS satellite feeds.

I apologize if this is a really stupid question, and thanks for any feedback...

Jeff

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Hi Jeff,

I owned a Sony RP TV before I got a DLP projector (DAvis C1). I would never go back again. However I learned through this fine forum that a projector has to be fed with the right signal, i.e. either with a high quality video processor (vigatec, faroudja quite expensive) or with an HTPC (got all the help I needed in the HTPC forum). I am using a Radeon based HTPC with my C1 now and I am very pleased with it.

IMHO DLP is vastly superior to LCD.

Regards

Christoph

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just got my DLP projector and it is great. Even with the s-video input that I am using it is a great picture. I have a 100" screen and it is about 16' back from the screen. I like the smooth image without pixels although at times I get a few jaggies or scan lines on diagonal lines. I'm hoping to add a iscan to help this. Good luck and go for it.

·
Registered
634 Posts
From your post, it seems you want FPTV because it's bigger. There are two other big differences: viewing area and ambient light sensitivity. If hotspotting on RPTVs drives you crazy, you're an even better candidate for FPTV. On the other hand, if you like to watch with the lights on, stick with the RPTV or get a light cannon with a dark screen.

------------------

Steve

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am not as interested as watching with the lights on. Maybe some medium light for football games, etc, but primarily I want the theater for DVDs. Since I don't really know of a place to view front projectors in stores I just wanted to see how the image quality compares. Now the research begins to find the right projector, screen and other equipment. One projector I looked into has 3200 lumens, which should be able to handle a moderate amount of light and still look good.

It will probably be a year or so until we build a new house and I plan to set aside a room for a dedicated HT. That brings me to another question: What is a good method of soundproofing a room?

Thanks for your replies...

Jeff

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.