AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my Hitachi Plasma since Christmas, and I've been thoroughly breaking it in since then.

Just today though, I had my first case of IR.

I recieved component cables today for a few of my video game consoles. I played my PS2 on the plasma, Guitar Hero 2, for about 5 minutes. Immediatly after turning it off, I noticed IR on the bottom right (a dim white logo that said "loading"). It freaked me out, but I knew it was just IR. I played another PS2 game (San Andreas) for about 5 minutes. Once I turned it off, I noticed IR on the health bar on the top right corner.

This confuses me. This is the first time I've ever had IR, and it came today from my PS2.

I've NEVER had IR before. I play my 360 constantly on my Plasma, maybe more than 7 hours a day. Never once was there a trace of IR anywhere to be seen, and these were games with health bars, and other things stuck in constant places. Yet I play my PS2 for the first time on my Plasma, and after 10 minutes, I notice multiple cases of IR from PS2 games.

Does anyone have any clue about why this is?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, they are. Even the same exact input. And my settings don't go past 50 (in brightness, contrast etc mostly in the 30's), so it's not like it's burning bright and easy to IR. It truly is weird.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Very strange indeed. I guess it just proves, once again, that Xbox is better than PS
jk

Kidding aside, I can't see why
As a side note, if you play more than 7 hours/day on your 360, perhaps it is time to check into rehab
I have two 360 consoles at home and barely have time to play for a few hours every week.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After a little more experimentation, I played some Halo 2 on my 360. It's a BC title, so it was being played in 720p, upscaled from the game's original 480p. And now, after about 15 minutes, I turned it off to look for IR, and there it is, on all 4 corners of the screen, a health bar it looks.

Now, I'm thinking maybe this is a 480p or upscaling problem? I play all my 360 games in 720p, like I said, and never have had a problem, except for the past few days using old generation titles.

·
Registered
228 Posts
The amount of IR you get depends on the intensity/color of the hud. Games that use strong whites/strong yellows will leave more visibile IR. For example on my 360, the N3 hp hud in the lower left is max yellow, that's a nasty candidate for IR (and it's the current Ir i'm trying to wash away). The GoW weapon icon is kinda mean too.

However, R6 Vegas's hud is made of a dark green and dark red. I've seen no very little IR from this, even with test images of those colors.

If you are unsure as to whether or not you are getting IR from white huds, use a YELLOW test image, not white (Go to MS paint, make a 1366x768 picture, fill it with pure yellow, then burn it to disc or flash drive and view it on your Xbox360).

Eyes are extremely sensitive to contrasts in yellow.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When does IR turn into burn-in? How much gaming or how long would an image have to be there for it to burn?

·
Registered
356 Posts
I doubt it is IR. When you turn the TV off it is not IR you are seeing. I can turn my TV on for only 10 seconds and once it is turned off I can see all the areas where the picture was the brightest the instant the TV goes off. Sometimes it appears blotchy. If you only see this "ghosting" when you shut the TV off and don't see any IR when it's on then there's nothing to worry about.

I abuse my TV with games and grey side bars and can see this type of "ghosting" only when the tv is shut off and in a pitch black room. I have never had one bit of IR in over 1.5 years. I hope what I said makes sense.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.