AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I had some general questions about image retention on plasmas (we have a panasonic P50-G10). Is it normal to see a little bit of retention on a black screen after 5-6 hours of viewing? Or is it a bad sign? (we're still within the 30 day window from best buy).

The TV does have a scrolling bar function that sends a white vertical bar abck and forth to deal with it - does anyone know from experience if this is effective?

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
what were you watching and what was left on the black screen?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well - we were playing baseball on the Wii and when I shut the Wii off and it was just projecting a blank, black screen...I could (if I was standing very close) see some faint reminders of the roster screen - but it was only on that Wii screen for maybe 45 minutes before I shut it off and noticed possible retention.

Is a bit of retention IMMEDIATELY after viewing normal?

·
Premium Member
18,322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulderxcoltrane /forum/post/16915137

...Is it normal to see a little bit of retention on a black screen after 5-6 hours of viewing? Or is it a bad sign? (we're still within the 30 day window from best buy).

What do you mean by "black screen"? Is it a really dark scene in a movie, or are you seeing it on a blank no-input screen? If it's the latter, it's normal and not a problem. Otherwise, we need more details about exactly what you're seeing, and how long the IR is staying up on the screen. But FWIW, my 46G10 gets virtually no IR at all.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters /forum/post/16915265

What do you mean by "black screen"? Is it a really dark scene in a movie, or are you seeing it on a blank no-input screen? If it's the latter, it's normal and not a problem. Otherwise, we need more details about exactly what you're seeing, and how long the IR is staying up on the screen. But FWIW, my 46G10 gets virtually no IR at all.

When the device inserted in one of my inputs (in this case the Wii) is not on and there's a black screen, I saw a bit of retention.

I didn't have the chance to watch that TV this morning, so I'll check in again.

As a rule of thumb/experience - how long does a stand-still image have to be on the screen to risk retention?

·
Registered
71 Posts
My understanding is there are different levels of retention. IR will be at its highest right after a view sessions because a residual charge will remain in the phosphors a short time. As the phosphors naturally discharge this IR will subside.

As for longer term IR, I don't believe there is really any rule you could apply to prevent it. There are may factors that come into play from TV manufacturer to specific model to even stuff like what factory it was made in and the environmental conditions when the screen was sealed.

In the end as said a million times before here, just use common sense. Normal use(this includes playing video games and 4:3 content) isn't going to damage a plasma screen. The day you just get over it will be the day you actually start to enjoy your purchase.

·
Registered
78 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulderxcoltrane /forum/post/16915298

When the device inserted in one of my inputs (in this case the Wii) is not on and there's a black screen, I saw a bit of retention.

I didn't have the chance to watch that TV this morning, so I'll check in again.

As a rule of thumb/experience - how long does a stand-still image have to be on the screen to risk retention?

A long time.

I have a Panasonic 50U series plasma that's three years old, and I play a fair amount of games on it (10-15 hours a week), with the occasional long gaming session of several hours. I get immediate image retention quite a bit, but that's normal and always temporary. Some games like Rock Band that have a lot of static images will stay a bit longer than others, while games with lots of cutscenes or non-permanent elements don't cause any issues. The worst offender for me has been Madden football because EA keeps their bright logo and lines of the ticker on the screen most of the time, but even that goes away after a few hours.

Bottom line is you have to work at burning in a plasma permanently these days. It can happen but it's not easy to do.

·
Premium Member
18,322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulderxcoltrane /forum/post/16915298

That is not IR - it's residual charge and is harmless.

Here are two of five different threads about this:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1057511

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1134523

Quote:

On my Panasonics, i can watch several hours of black-bar 4:3 or local news or other sports with logos and static images and the IR from that "abuse" is only temporary and goes away literally within 10-30 seconds. It really is a non-issue on Panasonics for the last few years now.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I ran the break-in images for 120 hours on my Samsung, didn't change the IR rate at all haha. I just ignore it and not worry about it because it does go away after a while - mine could be annoying for a picky, like if the PS3 keyboard is up for literally 10 seconds it'll leave a white after image, so you can image huds up there for a few hours at a time will leave 'em there stronger and longer - but it's no big deal to me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts